* Gnus-Pers (personalities)
@ 2006-05-07 17:24 Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-05-07 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried to set up .gnus.el posting-styles with no success : so now I try
Gnu-Pers instead (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/GnusPers).

Can some one please who me how they have configured a rule to match a
personality to a regular expression

e.g

I want to use personality "xxx" when I am in newsgroup, for example,
"comp.sys.ibm.pc.rpg" and press "a". From the scanty documentation it
seemed that I must check for "*.rpg" against symbol "group" but I'm
really not too sure anymore.

I used "customize-group, personalities" and have 3 personalities set up
which I can successfuly select using "gnus-presonality-choose" (C-c
C-p). I have a default personality, but I really cant see how to match a
newsgroup name and then select a non default personality.

Any pointers greatly appreciated : I'm sure its something obvious that
I'm blind to.

* Re: Gnus-Pers (personalities)
@ 2006-05-08  9:58 ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-05-08  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> I tried to set up .gnus.el posting-styles with no success : so now I try
> Gnu-Pers instead (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/GnusPers).
>
> Can some one please who me how they have configured a rule to match a
> personality to a regular expression
>
> e.g
>
> I want to use personality "xxx" when I am in newsgroup, for example,
> "comp.sys.ibm.pc.rpg" and press "a". From the scanty documentation it
> seemed that I must check for "*.rpg" against symbol "group" but I'm
> really not too sure anymore.
>
> I used "customize-group, personalities" and have 3 personalities set up
> which I can successfuly select using "gnus-presonality-choose" (C-c
> C-p). I have a default personality, but I really cant see how to match a
> newsgroup name and then select a non default personality.
>
> Any pointers greatly appreciated : I'm sure its something obvious that
> I'm blind to.

problem solved and just involved reading up in elisp regular
expressions.

In the regexp it was .*word rather than *.word : not too difficult after
all :)

Next problem : does anyone have an example of how to set personalities
based in mail group? I have nnmaildir groups set up : but the ng regexp
for "electric headers" doesnt seem to work with these group "names"
since there is no "newsgroup" field for this case.

* Re: Gnus-Pers (personalities)
@ 2006-05-08 16:44   ` Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2006-05-08 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
> Next problem : does anyone have an example of how to set personalities
> based in mail group? I have nnmaildir groups set up : but the ng regexp
> for "electric headers" doesnt seem to work with these group "names"
> since there is no "newsgroup" field for this case.

I think this might be what you're looking for, I haven't actually
tried it though:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
   '((".*"
      (name "Joe User")
      (address "joeuser@example.org"))
      ("^nnmaildir.*whatever"
      (address "joeuser2@whatever.com"))))

--
burton samograd					kruhft .at. gmail
kruhft.blogspot.com	www.myspace.com/kruhft	metashell.blogspot.com

* Re: Gnus-Pers (personalities)
@ 2006-05-08 17:04     ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-05-08 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Burton Samograd <kruhftREMOVE@gmail.com> writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>> Next problem : does anyone have an example of how to set personalities
>> based in mail group? I have nnmaildir groups set up : but the ng regexp
>> for "electric headers" doesnt seem to work with these group "names"
>> since there is no "newsgroup" field for this case.
>
> I think this might be what you're looking for, I haven't actually
> tried it though:
>
> (setq gnus-posting-styles
>    '((".*"
>       (name "Joe User")
>       (address "joeuser@example.org"))
>       ("^nnmaildir.*whatever"
>       (address "joeuser2@whatever.com"))))
>
> --
> burton samograd					kruhft .at. gmail
> kruhft.blogspot.com	www.myspace.com/kruhft	metashell.blogspot.com

That is gnus-posting-styles : nothing to do with gnus-pers to the best
of my knowledge. Or? Do they work together?

* Re: Gnus-Pers (personalities)
@ 2006-05-08 17:17     ` Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2006-05-08 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Burton Samograd <kruhftREMOVE@gmail.com> writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
> I think this might be what you're looking for, I haven't actually
> tried it though:
>
> (setq gnus-posting-styles
>    '((".*"
>       (name "Joe User")
>       (address "joeuser@example.org"))
>       ("^nnmaildir.*whatever"
>       (address "joeuser2@whatever.com"))))

Oops, sorry.  Didn't see that you were asking about gnus-pers so this
might not be of help.