* mail splitting with mime-encoded headers
@ 2022-01-16 22:47 Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2022-01-16 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

What is the recommended way for dealing with mime-encoded headers when
splitting mail?  If I understand things correctly, Gnus looks at the raw
mails when splitting mail.  So it may see mime-encoded headers (from:,
to:, subject:, etc.)  which makes things like regexp-matching a less
straightfoward exercise.  I may be missing something.

(Of course, it gets more expensive to split a large number of mail
messages if first lots of mime-encoded headers need to be decoded.
I guess that's the price one needs to pay for using mime encoding.)

Thanks,

Roland

* Re: mail splitting with mime-encoded headers
@ 2022-01-17  9:08 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-01-17  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Roland writes:

> What is the recommended way for dealing with mime-encoded headers when
> splitting mail?

I use this:

    ; Decode headers before splitting on them:
    (setq nnmail-mail-splitting-decodes t)

,----[ C-h v nnmail-mail-splitting-decodes RET ]
| nnmail-mail-splitting-decodes is a variable defined in ‘nnmail.el’.
|
| Its value is t
| Original value was nil
|
| Whether the nnmail splitting functionality should MIME decode headers.

`----

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "En monoton vers behöver en stark refräng"                 Adam Sjøgren
                                                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: mail splitting with mime-encoded headers
@ 2022-01-17 17:54   ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2022-01-17 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, Jan 17 2022, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> Roland writes:
>> What is the recommended way for dealing with mime-encoded headers when
>> splitting mail?
>
> I use this:
>
>     ; Decode headers before splitting on them:
>     (setq nnmail-mail-splitting-decodes t)

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.