* how do i use nnir with notmuch?
@ 2020-01-23 18:43 physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2020-01-23 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnus

hello,
i try to use notmuch with gnus for my nnmaildir. therefore i put notmuch
inside default search engine.
but unfortunately a query always result with empty results.
does anybody knows if this engine works?
and if yes, pls give me a link or example for the query syntax.
my notmuch-mode works.
i'm on linux mint 19.3 with emacs 26.3.

regards
poul

* Re: how do i use nnir with notmuch?
@ 2020-01-24  6:50 ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2020-01-24  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: physiculus; +Cc: gnus

On Thursday, 23 Jan 2020 at 19:43, physiculus wrote:
> i try to use notmuch with gnus for my nnmaildir. therefore i put notmuch
> inside default search engine.
> but unfortunately a query always result with empty results.
> does anybody knows if this engine works?

Yes, notmuch works, at least for nnml in my case.  You have to create
and update the search database using "notmuch new" periodically outside
gnus.  I use crontab for this.

Within gnus, you have to do something along these lines:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (require 'nnir)
  (push '(nnml . notmuch) nnir-method-default-engines)
  ;; the following turns off new behaviour that limited search to specific groups
  (setq nnir-notmuch-filter-group-names-function nil)
#+end_src

Finally, you may have to define appropriate settings (e.g. the database)
in your ~/.notmuch-config configuration file.

HTH,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.1 on Debian bullseye/sid

* Re: how do i use nnir with notmuch?
@ 2020-01-24 16:39   ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2020-01-24 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric, gnus

"Fraga, Eric" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
hello,
thank you for this answer.
it works!
but if i want to search for messages with a from: query, the results
contains messages in which the from: address appears inside the to:
also.
e.g.: from: zz@hotmail.de
then the query contains messages with to: zz@hotmail.de.

this phenomene appears also inside a query, which i start inside notmuch-mode.
perhaps there is a configuration option to show ONLY from: inside a
query with from:

any ideas?
Regards
Poul

@ 2020-01-24 17:35     ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2020-01-24 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: physiculus; +Cc: gnus

On Friday, 24 Jan 2020 at 17:39, physiculus wrote:
> but if i want to search for messages with a from: query, the results
> contains messages in which the from: address appears inside the to:
> also.
> e.g.: from: zz@hotmail.de
> then the query contains messages with to: zz@hotmail.de.

Maybe something you can change in the configuration of notmuch.  I don't
know unfortunately.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.2.3 on Debian bullseye/sid

* Re: how do i use nnir with notmuch?
@ 2020-01-24 21:11       ` Adam Sjøgren via info-gnus-english
From: Adam Sjøgren via info-gnus-english @ 2020-01-24 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Eric writes:

> On Friday, 24 Jan 2020 at 17:39, physiculus wrote:
>> but if i want to search for messages with a from: query, the results
>> contains messages in which the from: address appears inside the to:
>> also.
>> e.g.: from: zz@hotmail.de

Doesn't this search for the two separate terms "from:" and
"zz@hotmail.de"?

I would expect the syntax to be "from:zz@hotmail.de" (notice no space)
if you want to find all emails that have zz@hotmail.de in the
from:-field.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "It is just what they are gathered here to do, that        Adam Sjøgren
  I find so ineffably, horrificly repugnant."          asjo@koldfront.dk