* nnimap woes after debian upgrade
@ 2016-02-18 18:26 Pierfrancesco Caci
       [not found] ` <mailman.5092.1455863619.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Pierfrancesco Caci @ 2016-02-18 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,
yesterday I upgraded my system from debian wheezy to jessie.
I'm having some difficulties getting gnus to work as before.

Here is what I had configured before the upgrade:

 '(gnus-secondary-select-methods
    (quote (
           (nnimap "localhost" (nnimap-stream ssl))
           (nnimap "pf-tippete" (nnimap-address my\.imapserver\.it)
                                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                                (nnimap-expunge-on-close always)))))

So, first problem, I couldn't access localhost anymore. A bit of
fiddling led me to:

        ((nnimap "localhost"
                         (nnimap-stream network))

which I suppose means there's something wrong with the dovecot ssl
setup. I don't really care about that since it's all on the same
machine, but what also changed is that for some reason gnus now thinks
that everything in ~/Mail is an imap folder, while that was not the
case.
This means that is attepmting to read as imap folders also stuff that
was there because a separate mail client caches my work mail in the same
directory. I solved this by editing gnus-ignored-newsgroups and adding
the top folder to the regex. I still get weird stuff in the tree though,
including all the imap indexes and even directories with ~ at the end of
the name, and I'm not sure if this is a gnus problem or something that
has changed in dovecot.

The second problem is that I can't access the remote server anymore, I
get this error:

Opening connection to my.imapserver.it via tls...
Unable to open server nnimap+pf-tippete due to: Wrong type argument: stringp, my\.imapserver\.it
Opening nnimap server on pf-tippete...failed:
No new newsgroups

I tried using the ip address and it didn't like it either.

Nothing has changed on the remote server, so this is a local problem.

Both the localhost and the remote server seem to work properly when I
use claws-mail to access them.

What else can I try?

Thanks

Pf

--
Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx

* Re: nnimap woes after debian upgrade
@ 2016-02-19  6:33 ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found] ` <mailman.5092.1455863619.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-02-19  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Pierfrancesco Caci <pf@tippete.net> writes:

> Hello,
> yesterday I upgraded my system from debian wheezy to jessie.
> I'm having some difficulties getting gnus to work as before.
>
> Here is what I had configured before the upgrade:
>
>  '(gnus-secondary-select-methods
>     (quote (
>            (nnimap "localhost" (nnimap-stream ssl))
>            (nnimap "pf-tippete" (nnimap-address my\.imapserver\.it)
>                                 (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                                 (nnimap-expunge-on-close always)))))
>
> So, first problem, I couldn't access localhost anymore. A bit of
> fiddling led me to:
>
>         ((nnimap "localhost"
>                          (nnimap-stream network))

I don't actually know if that "localhost" is supposed to be interpreted
as an actual address, but the standard way of doing that would look
like:

(nnimap "decorative server name"
  (nnimap-address "localhost")
  (nnimap-stream network)
  (nnimap-authenticator login)
  (nnimap-user "your@user.name"))

I don't know how you have your dovecot set up, so maybe authentication
will work differently for you, but I don't know how dovecot would know
what user you want to log in as without the nnimap-user clause in there.

[...]

> The second problem is that I can't access the remote server anymore, I
> get this error:
>
> Opening connection to my.imapserver.it via tls...
> Unable to open server nnimap+pf-tippete due to: Wrong type argument: stringp, my\.imapserver\.it
> Opening nnimap server on pf-tippete...failed:
> No new newsgroups

The error message says it all: change my\.imapserver\.it to the string
"my.imapserver.it" and you should be fine.

If the upgrade is taking you through several new versions of Gnus, it's
probably worth going back to the Gnus manual and reading the section on
IMAP again, just to make sure you've got everything right.

HTH,
Eric

@ 2016-02-19 13:19   ` Pierfrancesco Caci
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5169.1455942076.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Pierfrancesco Caci @ 2016-02-19 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi Eric,

    Eric> Pierfrancesco Caci <pf@tippete.net> writes:
    >> Hello,
    >> yesterday I upgraded my system from debian wheezy to jessie.
    >> I'm having some difficulties getting gnus to work as before.
    >>
    >> Here is what I had configured before the upgrade:
    >>
    >> '(gnus-secondary-select-methods
    >> (quote (
    >> (nnimap "localhost" (nnimap-stream ssl))
    >> (nnimap "pf-tippete" (nnimap-address my\.imapserver\.it)
    >> (nnimap-stream ssl)
    >> (nnimap-expunge-on-close always)))))
    >>
    >> So, first problem, I couldn't access localhost anymore. A bit of
    >> fiddling led me to:
    >>
    >> ((nnimap "localhost"
    >> (nnimap-stream network))

    Eric> I don't actually know if that "localhost" is supposed to be
    Eric> interpreted
    Eric> as an actual address, but the standard way of doing that would look
    Eric> like:

    Eric> (nnimap "decorative server name"
    Eric>   (nnimap-address "localhost")
    Eric>   (nnimap-stream network)
    Eric>   (nnimap-authenticator login)
    Eric>   (nnimap-user "your@user.name"))

    Eric> I don't know how you have your dovecot set up, so maybe authentication
    Eric> will work differently for you, but I don't know how dovecot would know
    Eric> what user you want to log in as without the nnimap-user clause
    Eric> in there.

I'm rereading the manual as you suggest below, and from that, and also
from the fact that it was working before with the very basic config, I
understand that (nnimap "somename") attemtps to use somename as a
hostname, unless there's something specified with
nnimap-address. I also notice that this version of gnus has added an
entry in .authinfo for localhost, which was not present before.
I suspect something changed in how dovecot presents the folders, and
that's why I'm seeing subdirectories that weren't previously treated a
imap folders. I need to dig into dovecot config and find what has
happened.

    Eric> [...]

    >> The second problem is that I can't access the remote server anymore, I
    >> get this error:
    >>
    >> Opening connection to my.imapserver.it via tls...
    >> Unable to open server nnimap+pf-tippete due to: Wrong type argument:
    >> stringp, my\.imapserver\.it
    >> Opening nnimap server on pf-tippete...failed:
    >> No new newsgroups

    Eric> The error message says it all: change my\.imapserver\.it to the string
    Eric> "my.imapserver.it" and you should be fine.

I've tried this by changing the variable from inside emacs
configuration. I still get the escapes back when I save.

Interestingly, I can access the server fine if I "browse remote server"
and enter the required info manually

    Eric> If the upgrade is taking you through several new versions of
    Eric> Gnus, it's
    Eric> probably worth going back to the Gnus manual and reading the
    Eric> section on
    Eric> IMAP again, just to make sure you've got everything right.

This is "the" manual, right? http://www.gnus.org/manual/big-gnus.html

Pf

--

@ 2016-02-20  4:20     ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5169.1455942076.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-02-20  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Pierfrancesco Caci <pf@tippete.net> writes:

> Hi Eric,

[...]

> I'm rereading the manual as you suggest below, and from that, and also
> from the fact that it was working before with the very basic config, I
> understand that (nnimap "somename") attemtps to use somename as a
> hostname, unless there's something specified with
> nnimap-address.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

[...]

>     Eric> The error message says it all: change my\.imapserver\.it to the string
>     Eric> "my.imapserver.it" and you should be fine.
>
> I've tried this by changing the variable from inside emacs
> configuration. I still get the escapes back when I save.

Did you put quotes in explicitly when entering the server name? You
should see the double quotes in the customization interface.

> Interestingly, I can access the server fine if I "browse remote server"
> and enter the required info manually

When you enter the server name at the prompt, it's automatically treated
as a string and quoted.

>     Eric> If the upgrade is taking you through several new versions of
>     Eric> Gnus, it's
>     Eric> probably worth going back to the Gnus manual and reading the
>     Eric> section on
>     Eric> IMAP again, just to make sure you've got everything right.
>
> This is "the" manual, right? http://www.gnus.org/manual/big-gnus.html

You'll be best off using the in-Emacs info browser: "C-h i", and then
"m" and "Gnus". That way you'll know that the manual you're reading
corresponds to the Gnus you're using.

HTH,
Eric

@ 2016-02-20  7:33       ` Pierfrancesco Caci
From: Pierfrancesco Caci @ 2016-02-20  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi Eric

    Eric> The error message says it all: change my\.imapserver\.it
    Eric> to the string
    Eric> "my.imapserver.it" and you should be fine.
    >>
    >> I've tried this by changing the variable from inside emacs
    >> configuration. I still get the escapes back when I save.

    Eric> Did you put quotes in explicitly when entering the server name? You
    Eric> should see the double quotes in the customization interface.

    >> Interestingly, I can access the server fine if I "browse remote server"
    >> and enter the required info manually

    Eric> When you enter the server name at the prompt, it's
    Eric> automatically treated
    Eric> as a string and quoted.

oh... quotes! yes that worked, I can read mail from my remote server
now, thanks! Interesting that this is now a requirement.

    Eric> If the upgrade is taking you through several new versions of
    Eric> Gnus, it's
    Eric> probably worth going back to the Gnus manual and reading the
    Eric> section on
    Eric> IMAP again, just to make sure you've got everything right.
    >>
    >> This is "the" manual, right? http://www.gnus.org/manual/big-gnus.html

    Eric> You'll be best off using the in-Emacs info browser: "C-h i", and then
    Eric> "m" and "Gnus". That way you'll know that the manual you're reading
    Eric> corresponds to the Gnus you're using.

Well, that's odd. I remember having the manual inside emacs and browsing
it as you suggest, apparently is no longer there. I'm probably missing a
.deb, but Chtulu knows which one :-)

Anyway, thanks for the help, I've got my main mail working again so I'm
happy. I can live with the local mail broken until I figure out what's
wrong with dovecot.

Pf

--

@ 2016-02-20  7:39         ` Pierfrancesco Caci
From: Pierfrancesco Caci @ 2016-02-20  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

    Pierfrancesco> Well, that's odd. I remember having the manual inside
    Pierfrancesco> emacs and browsing
    Pierfrancesco> it as you suggest, apparently is no longer there. I'm
    Pierfrancesco> probably missing a
    Pierfrancesco> .deb, but Chtulu knows which one :-)

For the records, it's emacs24-common-non-dfsg

--

@ 2016-02-21  2:01           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-02-21  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>     Pierfrancesco> Well, that's odd. I remember having the manual inside
>     Pierfrancesco> emacs and browsing
>     Pierfrancesco> it as you suggest, apparently is no longer there. I'm
>     Pierfrancesco> probably missing a
>     Pierfrancesco> .deb, but Chtulu knows which one :-)
>
> For the records, it's emacs24-common-non-dfsg

Glad you got that sorted!