* Some random questions about display order in group buffer and usage of multiple e-mail addresses
@ 2014-01-10 14:03 aa-news
       [not found] ` <mailman.11527.1389369472.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: aa-news @ 2014-01-10 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi all,

I've just started using gnus again after some years of absence.  I've
reread parts of the manual without finding answers to some of my
questions.  I hope someone herein can help me.

1. I like using topic mode.  I'm a bit anal about the ordering of topics
   and groups within topics but I was never able to find out whether it
   is possible in gnus

   - to change the display order of individual topics on the same level

   - and to change the display order of groups within topis.

   Could you tell me if it is possible to change the display order and
   if so how?

2. I have several e-mail addresses which I like to use for different
   purposes.  So my next questions are:

   - Is it possible to tell gnus to use a certain e-mail address for the
     From header in news articles on a per group basis?

   - Is it possible to tell gnus to do the same thing on a per mail
     group basis?

   - Is it also possible to get prompted for a From address from a list
     of possible e-mail addresses when posting to certain mail groups?

Thanks in advance,

aa

* Re: Some random questions about display order in group buffer and usage of multiple e-mail addresses
@ 2014-01-10 15:57 ` Alexander Baier
       [not found] ` <mailman.11527.1389369472.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-01-10 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2014-01-10 15:03 aa-news@arcor.de wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just started using gnus again after some years of absence.  I've
> reread parts of the manual without finding answers to some of my
> questions.  I hope someone herein can help me.
>
> 1. I like using topic mode.  I'm a bit anal about the ordering of topics
>    and groups within topics but I was never able to find out whether it
>    is possible in gnus
>
>    - to change the display order of individual topics on the same level
>
>    - and to change the display order of groups within topis.
>
>    Could you tell me if it is possible to change the display order and
>    if so how?

You can kill and then yank back groups and topics, just like you would
do it with normal text in a buffer. The usual key-bindings (C-k and C-y)
apply here.

> 2. I have several e-mail addresses which I like to use for different
>    purposes.  So my next questions are:
>
>    - Is it possible to tell gnus to use a certain e-mail address for the
>      From header in news articles on a per group basis?
>
>    - Is it possible to tell gnus to do the same thing on a per mail
>      group basis?

This can be done by configuring gnus-posting-styles on a global level or
on a per group basis through the (info "(Gnus) Group Parameters").  For
further info about posting styles see (info "(Gnus) Posting Styles").

>    - Is it also possible to get prompted for a From address from a list
>      of possible e-mail addresses when posting to certain mail groups?

I don't know.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> aa

HTH,
--
 Alexander Baier

* Re: Some random questions about display order in group buffer and usage of multiple e-mail addresses
       [not found] ` <mailman.11527.1389369472.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-01-10 17:12   ` Damien Wyart
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Damien Wyart @ 2014-01-10 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* Alexander Baier <lexi.baier@gmail.com> in gnu.emacs.gnus:
> >    - and to change the display order of groups within topics.

> >    Could you tell me if it is possible to change the display order and
> >    if so how?

> You can kill and then yank back groups and topics, just like you would
> do it with normal text in a buffer. The usual key-bindings (C-k and
> C-y) apply here.

And there also exists functions to sort groups inside topics:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Topic-Sorting.html

> >    - Is it also possible to get prompted for a From address from a list
> >      of possible e-mail addresses when posting to certain mail groups?

You could try the Gnus Personalities addon, but it is not maintained actively:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-it/GnusPers

--
DW

@ 2014-01-11  0:07   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-01-11  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Alexander Baier <lexi.baier@gmail.com> writes:

> This can be done by configuring gnus-posting-styles
> on a global level or on a per group basis through the
> (info "(Gnus) Group Parameters").  For further info
> about posting styles see (info "(Gnus) Posting
> Styles").

Yes, for example to control the headers and signature
based on if it is news or mail (in my case, mail with
nnml), it looks like this:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      (let ((sig "blaha blaha URL"))
        `(("nnml:.*"
           (Newsgroups "")
           (signature ,sig)
           )
          (message-this-is-news
           (To "")
           (Mail-Copies-To "never")
           (signature ,sig) ))))

>> Is it also possible to get prompted for a From
>> address from a list of possible e-mail addresses
>> when posting to certain mail groups?

Are we talking the From *header* or do you want to
actually send a mail from another mail account,
possibly provided by another ISP?

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

@ 2014-01-11  0:15   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-01-11  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Alexander Baier <lexi.baier@gmail.com> writes:

>> I've just started using gnus again after some years
>> of absence.  I've reread parts of the manual without
>> finding answers to some of my questions.  I hope
>> someone herein can help me.  1. I like using topic
>> mode.  I'm a bit anal about the ordering of topics
>> and groups within topics but I was never able to
>> find out whether it is possible in gnus - to change
>> the display order of individual topics on the same
>> level - and to change the display order of groups
>> within topis.  Could you tell me if it is possible
>> to change the display order and if so how?
>
> You can kill and then yank back groups and topics,
> just like you would do it with normal text in a
> buffer. The usual key-bindings (C-k and C-y) apply
> here.

You can do that, but as long as there is some system to
the OP's desire that system is probably
implemented. Check out the help for
`gnus-group-sort-function'. I don't use topics, but I
have the below configuration to get the display order I
like, and at least what I can see, when I hit 't' (for
`gnus-topic-mode') that ordering is preserved.

(setq gnus-group-sort-function 'gnus-group-sort-by-real-name)

--

@ 2014-01-11  0:15     ` aa-news
From: aa-news @ 2014-01-11  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Are we talking the From *header* or do you want to
> actually send a mail from another mail account,
> possibly provided by another ISP?

I have

(setq message-sendmail-envelope-from 'header)

in my .gnus.el it is both the header and the envelop (and consequently
different ISP accounts) in my case.

cheers,

aa

* Re: Some random questions about display order in group buffer and usage of multiple e-mail addresses
       [not found] ` <mailman.11527.1389369472.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-11  0:23   ` Andreas Ames
From: Andreas Ames @ 2014-01-11  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Alexander Baier <lexi.baier@gmail.com> writes:

> You can kill and then yank back groups and topics, just like you would
> do it with normal text in a buffer. The usual key-bindings (C-k and C-y)
> apply here.

Fine solution for me, thanks.

> This can be done by configuring gnus-posting-styles on a global level or
> on a per group basis through the (info "(Gnus) Group Parameters").  For
> further info about posting styles see (info "(Gnus) Posting Styles").

I use the 'address' posting style value in topic parameters now and it
does what I want, thanks again.

> I don't know.

I've found 'message-alternative-emails' which does the right thing for
me in replies.  That's good enough for me.

@ 2014-01-11  0:25       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-01-11  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

aa-news@arcor.de writes:

> (setq message-sendmail-envelope-from 'header)
>
> in my .gnus.el it is both the header and the envelop
> (and consequently different ISP accounts) in my case.

What about the .mailrc file to setup abbrevs:

alias me "My Name <my@mail.com>"
alias me2 ...

Those should work in the From: header as well.

Otherwise I don't know except for programming.

--

@ 2014-01-11  0:30         ` Andreas Ames
From: Andreas Ames @ 2014-01-11  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> What about the .mailrc file to setup abbrevs:
>
> alias me "My Name <my@mail.com>"
> alias me2 ...
>
> Those should work in the From: header as well.
>
> Otherwise I don't know except for programming.

I'm now using the "address" value in the posting style of topic/group
parameters to set the "right" From header; the distribution to the right
ISP is done by my local posrfix installation based on the From
header/sender envelop.  So currently everthing works as I want.

@ 2014-01-11  0:34           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-01-11  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Andreas Ames <aa-news@arcor.de> writes:

> I'm now using the "address" value in the posting
> style of topic/group parameters to set the "right"
> From header; the distribution to the right ISP is
> done by my local posrfix installation based on the
> From header/sender envelop.

Ha ha, crazy stuff :) I'm sure you have a good reason
for wanting this...