* GNUS hide group from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages...
@ 2012-08-14  9:17 Oleksandr Gavenko
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-08-14  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

If I want to post to some group I firstly enter to it and press 'a' in
*Summary* buffer. Why? Just because I simple don't remember full group names.
Only some part of names which I look by C-s in *Group* buffer until not find
desired group...

But GNUS hide groups from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages...

After reading "C-h m" I found command to show it back by:

  A u

but it show all groups (killed, etc)

So I read this file lisp/gnus/gnus-group.el and make such solution:

  (eval-after-load 'gnus-group
    '(progn
       (define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "l")
         (lambda nil (interactive) (gnus-group-list-groups gnus-level-subscribed t)))
       ))

Default key binding "l" make same but invoke:

  (gnus-group-list-groups gnus-level-subscribed nil)

--
Best regards!

* Re: GNUS hide group from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages...
@ 2012-08-14  9:26 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-08-14  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2012-08-14, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:

> If I want to post to some group I firstly enter to it and press 'a' in
> *Summary* buffer. Why? Just because I simple don't remember full group names.
> Only some part of names which I look by C-s in *Group* buffer until not find
> desired group...
>
> But GNUS hide groups from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages...
>
> After reading "C-h m" I found command to show it back by:
>
>   A u
>
> but it show all groups (killed, etc)
>
> So I read this file lisp/gnus/gnus-group.el and make such solution:
>
>   (eval-after-load 'gnus-group
>     '(progn
>        (define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "l")
>          (lambda nil (interactive) (gnus-group-list-groups gnus-level-subscribed t)))
>        ))
>
> Default key binding "l" make same but invoke:
>
>   (gnus-group-list-groups gnus-level-subscribed nil)

I forget complete my message...

Having such switch is sweet but I want to make

  (gnus-level-subscribed t)

settings permanent for *Groups* buffer... This internal variable

  gnus-group-list-mode

used to store such settings bat if I set it manually they are overridden by
GNUS...

Please help!

--

@ 2012-08-14  9:32 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2012-08-14  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 12:17:33 +0300, Oleksandr wrote:

> But GNUS hide groups from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages...

Does L do what you want?

,----
| L runs the command gnus-group-list-all-groups, which is an interactive
| compiled Lisp function in `gnus-group.el'.
|
| It is bound to L, A u, <menu-bar> <Groups> <Listing> <List
| (un)subscribed groups>.
|
| (gnus-group-list-all-groups &optional ARG)
|
| List all newsgroups with level ARG or lower.
| Default is `gnus-level-unsubscribed', which lists all subscribed and most
| unsubscribed groups.
`----

I usually use L and l to toggle between seeing all groups and only the
ones with unread articles.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "You know, if the sun was an oboe, what would you do?"       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: GNUS hide group from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages...
@ 2012-08-14 13:13   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-08-14 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, Aug 14 2012, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 12:17:33 +0300, Oleksandr wrote:
>
>> But GNUS hide groups from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages...
>
> Does L do what you want?
>
> ,----
> | L runs the command gnus-group-list-all-groups, which is an interactive
> | compiled Lisp function in `gnus-group.el'.
> |
> | It is bound to L, A u, <menu-bar> <Groups> <Listing> <List
> | (un)subscribed groups>.
> |
> | (gnus-group-list-all-groups &optional ARG)
> |
> | List all newsgroups with level ARG or lower.
> | Default is `gnus-level-unsubscribed', which lists all subscribed and most
> | unsubscribed groups.
> `----
>
> I usually use L and l to toggle between seeing all groups and only the
> ones with unread articles.
>

>   Best regards,
>
>     Adam

And 'j' for `gnus-group-jump-to-group' will find any group, visible or
not! This is my main method for *Group* buffer navigation, and for your
exact use-case: 'j' to find a group, then 'C-u a' to compose a message
to it.

--
GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.11)
 of 2012-08-06 on pellet

* Re: GNUS hide group from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages...
@ 2012-08-14 14:44     ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2012-08-14 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> And 'j' for `gnus-group-jump-to-group' will find any group, visible or
> not! This is my main method for *Group* buffer navigation, and for your
> exact use-case: 'j' to find a group, then 'C-u a' to compose a message
> to it.

Is it possible to make that use "ido" type completion?

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C

* Re: GNUS hide group from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages...
@ 2012-08-15  3:10       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-08-15  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, Aug 14 2012, Kevin Brubeck Unhammer wrote:

>> And 'j' for `gnus-group-jump-to-group' will find any group, visible or
>> not! This is my main method for *Group* buffer navigation, and for your
>> exact use-case: 'j' to find a group, then 'C-u a' to compose a message
>> to it.
>
> Is it possible to make that use "ido" type completion?

But of course!

(setq gnus-completing-read-function 'gnus-ido-completing-read)

I have problems with this, largely because nnmairix (for reasons I will
never understand) creates dummy copies of all your groups. So when you
hit 'j' you're suddenly confronted by a sea of nonexistent groups that
get in the way of where you want to go. Someone in this group, I
believe, once provided me with this:

(defadvice gnus-group-completing-read (before remove-nnmairix-groups activate)
  (unless collection
    (mapatoms
     (lambda (g)
       (unless (string-match "\\(nnml\\|archive\\)" (symbol-name g))
	 (push g collection)))
     gnus-active-hashtb)))

Unfortunately this also filters out all my nnml+archive groups, even
though it looks like it shouldn't. Probably I could fix it myself
without too much work, but I haven't bothered…

Anyway, hope that helps.

@ 2012-08-15  6:12         ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2012-08-15  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Tue, Aug 14 2012, Kevin Brubeck Unhammer wrote:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>>> And 'j' for `gnus-group-jump-to-group' will find any group, visible or
>>> not! This is my main method for *Group* buffer navigation, and for your
>>> exact use-case: 'j' to find a group, then 'C-u a' to compose a message
>>> to it.
>>
>> Is it possible to make that use "ido" type completion?
>
> But of course!
>
> (setq gnus-completing-read-function 'gnus-ido-completing-read)
>
> I have problems with this, largely because nnmairix (for reasons I will
> never understand) creates dummy copies of all your groups. So when you
> hit 'j' you're suddenly confronted by a sea of nonexistent groups that
> get in the way of where you want to go. Someone in this group, I
> believe, once provided me with this:
>
> (defadvice gnus-group-completing-read (before remove-nnmairix-groups activate)
>   (unless collection
>     (mapatoms
>      (lambda (g)
>        (unless (string-match "\\(nnml\\|archive\\)" (symbol-name g))
> 	 (push g collection)))
>      gnus-active-hashtb)))
>
> Unfortunately this also filters out all my nnml+archive groups, even
> though it looks like it shouldn't. Probably I could fix it myself
> without too much work, but I haven't bothered…
>
> Anyway, hope that helps.

Sure does, thanks :-) I guess I'll be jumping to relatively unique names
till I figure out that nnmairix thing …

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C

* Re: GNUS hide group from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages...
@ 2012-08-15  7:03 ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2012-08-15  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:

> If I want to post to some group I firstly enter to it and press 'a' in
> *Summary* buffer.

You can C-u a on that group, without entering it.

> Why? Just because I simple don't remember full group names.
> Only some part of names which I look by C-s in *Group* buffer
> until not find desired group...
>
> But GNUS hide groups from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages...
>
> After reading "C-h m" I found command to show it back by:
>
>   A u
>
> but it show all groups (killed, etc)
>
> So I read this file lisp/gnus/gnus-group.el and make such solution:
>
>   (eval-after-load 'gnus-group
>     '(progn
>        (define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "l")
>          (lambda nil (interactive) (gnus-group-list-groups gnus-level-subscribed t)))
>        ))
>
> Default key binding "l" make same but invoke:
>
>   (gnus-group-list-groups gnus-level-subscribed nil)

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

* Re: GNUS hide group from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages...
@ 2012-08-24 14:57     ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-08-24 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2012-08-14, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> And 'j' for `gnus-group-jump-to-group' will find any group, visible or
> not! This is my main method for *Group* buffer navigation, and for your
> exact use-case: 'j' to find a group, then 'C-u a' to compose a message
> to it.

Thanks for explaining of your workflow. I try it but seems that I need to use
ido completion or something similar as default completion require entering
many symbols and TAB pressing, for this:

  nntp+news.gmane.org-ephemeral:gmane.emacs.gnus.user
  nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.comp.window-managers.fvwm
  nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.help

  TAB : TAB e TAB RET

As I avoid using IDO-mode until have time to learn it dipper I still use such
approach: C-s KEYWORD and C-s C-s ... as many time until find looked group in
*Groups* buffer.

That's why I look (and still look!!) for way to prevent hiding groups with
zero unread articles.

Also thank to any mentioned about "C-u a", today I search for separate
function for this purpose but it was build-in for:

  gnus-group-post-news ("a")!!

--

@ 2012-08-24 17:10   ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-08-24 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2012-08-14, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

>> But GNUS hide groups from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages...
>
> Does L do what you want?

In some way yes, but this command (gnus-group-list-all-groups) also shown
unsubscribed and killed groups. But for my purpose it is not a harm.

My redefinition:

   (define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "l")
     (lambda nil (interactive) (gnus-group-list-groups gnus-level-subscribed t)))

more suitable for my purpose but as I wrote recently about my workflow to find
group for reading or posting:

  C-s KEYWORD and C-s C-s ... as many time until find looked group and then
  RET in *Groups* buffer.

When some groups hidden due to:

> But GNUS hide groups from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages

I can't post to this groups with my workflow. So I look for way to preserve
all groups in *Groups* buffer discarding read or unread it.

I think that "defadvice" around "gnus-group-list-groups" will give me desired
behaviour. I am not expert of defadvice style of elisp programming but this
code seems work as I want (I use it for half day only...):

  (eval-after-load 'gnus-group
    '(progn
       (defadvice gnus-group-list-groups (before with-read-groups (&optional level unread lowest))
         (unless level
           (ad-set-arg 0 gnus-level-subscribed))
         (ad-set-arg 1 t)
         )
       (ad-activate 'gnus-group-list-groups)
       ))

My previous code:

       (define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "l")
         (lambda nil (interactive) (gnus-group-list-groups gnus-level-subscribed t)))

no longer necessary.

--

@ 2012-08-28 12:01       ` Andy Moreton
       [not found]         ` <mailman.7811.1346321591.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Andy Moreton @ 2012-08-28 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Fri 24 Aug 2012, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:

> On 2012-08-14, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> And 'j' for `gnus-group-jump-to-group' will find any group, visible or
>> not! This is my main method for *Group* buffer navigation, and for your
>> exact use-case: 'j' to find a group, then 'C-u a' to compose a message
>> to it.
>>
> Thanks for explaining of your workflow. I try it but seems that I need to use
> ido completion or something similar as default completion require entering
> many symbols and TAB pressing, for this:
>
>   nntp+news.gmane.org-ephemeral:gmane.emacs.gnus.user
>   nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.comp.window-managers.fvwm
>   nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.help
>
>   TAB : TAB e TAB RET
>
> As I avoid using IDO-mode until have time to learn it dipper I still use such
> approach: C-s KEYWORD and C-s C-s ... as many time until find looked group in
> *Groups* buffer.
>
> That's why I look (and still look!!) for way to prevent hiding groups with
> zero unread articles.

Try this:

(setq gnus-permanently-visible-groups ".*")

and if you use topics:

(setq gnus-topic-display-empty-topics t)

HTH

   AndyM

* Re: GNUS hide group from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages...
@ 2012-08-30 10:12         ` Oleksandr Gavenko
       [not found]         ` <mailman.7811.1346321591.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-08-30 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2012-08-28, Andy Moreton wrote:

>> That's why I look (and still look!!) for way to prevent hiding groups with
>> zero unread articles.
>
> Try this:
>
> (setq gnus-permanently-visible-groups ".*")
>
> and if you use topics:
>
> (setq gnus-topic-display-empty-topics t)

Last close my issue! Thanks for help. My previous code to defadvice
'gnus-group-list-groups' no longer needed.

--

@ 2012-09-07 17:27           ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2012-09-07 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Is there a workaround for "Hiding the thread moved us backwards,
aborting!" bug in GNUS v5.13, or do I have to wait for an upgrade now?

Driving me nuts.

* Re: GNUS hide group from *Group* buffer when there no unread messages...
@ 2012-09-09 19:04             ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-09-09 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> Is there a workaround for "Hiding the thread moved us backwards,
> aborting!" bug in GNUS v5.13, or do I have to wait for an upgrade now?

I'm pretty sure this has been fixed for Emacs 24.3.  At least I remember
working on it, so I assume that it's fixed.  :-)

Let's see...

Oops.  Nope, this bug still hasn't been fixed.  But there's a pretty
good case how to reproduce it now:

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen