* Personalities and emailaddress problem
@ 2010-01-07  0:47 Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-01-07  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I just noticed a problem with my setup.

Setup:
- Gnus-pers[1] to manage two personalities
- (setq smtpmail-queue-mail t)

Whenever I compose an email using "person ality <persona@provider.com>" and
another using "person blity <personb@provider.com>", quit gnus and send the
mail later when I am back online, I get this result:

     "person ality <personb@provider.com>"
                          ^
Person B is not affected.

I just checked the mails in ~/Mail/queued_mail/, the mail is correctly
queued, so it seems that the From: gets changed while sending via
smtp-send-queued-mail.

I can not say if this is a new behaviour, because I am online most of
the time and send my emails right away, without accumulating different
mails in my queue.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusPers

* Re: Personalities and emailaddress problem
@ 2010-01-10  3:41 ` Memnon Anon
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1230.1263254421.18930.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-01-10  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> Setup:
> - Gnus-pers[1] to manage two personalities
> - (setq smtpmail-queue-mail t)
>
> Whenever I compose an email using "person ality <persona@provider.com>" and
> another using "person blity <personb@provider.com>", quit gnus and send the
> mail later when I am back online, I get this result:
>
>      "person ality <personb@provider.com>"
>                           ^
> Person B is not affected.
>
> I just checked the mails in ~/Mail/queued_mail/, the mail is correctly
> queued, so it seems that the From: gets changed while sending via
> smtp-send-queued-mail.
[...]
> Any idea what could be wrong?

Okay, I think I know whats going on.

As I use two different smtp servers, I used this config:
  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts
by Volkan Yazici, which basically works fine.

It uses a function hooked into message-send-hook to set the proper smtp
server settings for this mail right before it gets send.

If I use smtpmail-send-queued-mail, this hook is not executed for each
mail in the queue, so all mails go to one smtp server. gmail rewrites
the email address, the other smtp server does not. Thats all ;).
I kind of expected the smtp servers to reject messages with a different
"From" alltogether, but thats obviously not the case.

Not a fix, but now I can start to find a solution for this ;)

Sorry for the noise ...

* Solved (was: Personalities and emailaddress problem)
@ 2010-01-11 23:57   ` Memnon Anon
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1230.1263254421.18930.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-01-11 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> As I use two different smtp servers, I used this config:
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts
> by Volkan Yazici, which basically works fine.

Hi,

Volkan updated the wiki page with an improved version
(Thanks for that!).

Are there plans to include this (or something providing a similar
approach to this feature) into the official distribution?

It is not exactly an uncommon thing to use more than one smtp-server, is
it?

Memnon

* Re: Solved
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1230.1263254421.18930.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-01-13 21:33     ` Ted Zlatanov
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-01-13 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 23:57:56 +0000 (UTC) Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:

MA> Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:
>> As I use two different smtp servers, I used this config:
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts
>> by Volkan Yazici, which basically works fine.

MA> Volkan updated the wiki page with an improved version
MA> (Thanks for that!).

MA> Are there plans to include this (or something providing a similar
MA> approach to this feature) into the official distribution?

MA> It is not exactly an uncommon thing to use more than one smtp-server, is
MA> it?

I'd say it's a pretty unusual situation.  The vast majority have just
one in my experience.  Still, we should support it better.  Have you
been happy with the config?  Any issues?

Ted

* Re: Solved
@ 2010-01-14  0:22       ` Richard Riley
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1409.1263482339.18930.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1408.1263481530.18930.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-01-14  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 23:57:56 +0000 (UTC) Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> MA> Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:
>>> As I use two different smtp servers, I used this config:
>>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts
>>> by Volkan Yazici, which basically works fine.
>
> MA> Volkan updated the wiki page with an improved version
> MA> (Thanks for that!).
>
> MA> Are there plans to include this (or something providing a similar
> MA> approach to this feature) into the official distribution?
>
> MA> It is not exactly an uncommon thing to use more than one smtp-server, is
> MA> it?
>
> I'd say it's a pretty unusual situation.  The vast majority have just
> one in my experience.  Still, we should support it better.  Have you
> been happy with the config?  Any issues?
>
> Ted

I think multiple smtp is more common than some think. I use the mstmp
config included here:

http://richardriley.net/projects/emacs/dotemacs.html#sec-3

Search for msmtp-change-smtp

regards

r.

--
Google Talk : rileyrgdev@googlemail.com  http://www.google.com/talk

* Re: Solved
@ 2010-01-14 15:04       ` Memnon Anon
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1408.1263481530.18930.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-01-14 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> MA> It is not exactly an uncommon thing to use more than one smtp-server, is
> MA> it?
>
> I'd say it's a pretty unusual situation.  The vast majority have just
> one in my experience.

Interesting.

I have 3 email accounts, one at my university, one for private mail and
one used for public communication (basically an anti spam provision).
My university account uses my real name, my privat address my nick.

All of them are used regularly, so I really have use for gnus-pers or
postingstyles. And I really want to trust my setup: It would be very
embarassing sending a mail to my Prof. using my nick ;).

If postingstyles are considered usefull, why is using the corresponding
smtp-servers considered unusual?

> Still, we should support it better.  Have you been happy with the
> config?  Any issues?

Still some minor problems, I try to figure out whats going wrong.

The new approach feels less clean, because it does not use a hook anymore:
"To tackle this problem, instead of hooking CHANGE-SMTP into
MESSAGE-SEND-HOOK, wrap SMTPMAIL-VIA-SMTP totally"[1]

I am no programmer (thank god elisp is fairly easy to read compared
to, say, perl), but so far, patching my own smtpmail.el seems easier
and more reliable than adding things to my .gnus.
Alternatively using msmtp could be another easy viable way.

Memnon

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts

* Re: Solved
@ 2010-01-14 15:18         ` Memnon Anon
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1409.1263482339.18930.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-01-14 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> I use the mstmp config included here:
>
> http://richardriley.net/projects/emacs/dotemacs.html#sec-3
>
> Search for msmtp-change-smtp

Yes, msmtp is definately an alternative.
(cf. also http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusMSMTP)

Maybe even the most simple approach to solve my needs.

I've been using debian gnu/linux exclusively for the past 3 years, but I
am still hesitant to focus my whole setup on linux-only tools in case
I might need/want to use windows again; I already use leafnode for
gmane/usenet, rss2email for rssfeeds. If me sending email also depends on
emacs-external tools, a switch would become a real hassle ... :(.

Well, emacs on windows seems to be more difficult anyways, so I will
probably stay away from windows for time to come ;)

Memnon

* Re: Solved
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1408.1263481530.18930.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-01-15 18:31         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-01-15 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:04:49 +0000 (UTC) Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:

MA> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
MA> It is not exactly an uncommon thing to use more than one smtp-server, is
MA> it?
>>
>> I'd say it's a pretty unusual situation.  The vast majority have just
>> one in my experience.

MA> Interesting.

MA> I have 3 email accounts, one at my university, one for private mail and
MA> one used for public communication (basically an anti spam provision).
MA> My university account uses my real name, my privat address my nick.

MA> All of them are used regularly, so I really have use for gnus-pers or
MA> postingstyles. And I really want to trust my setup: It would be very
MA> embarassing sending a mail to my Prof. using my nick ;).

MA> If postingstyles are considered usefull, why is using the corresponding
MA> smtp-servers considered unusual?

I was talking about the vast majority of users and should have said so;
I thought the context of your original question was users in general and
not users who have chosen Gnus already.

Gnus users are, of course, a special breed.  I expect Gnus users to have
3.4 SMTP servers (the 0.4 is for the one in Malaysia that's only up
during their nighttime :)

>> Still, we should support it better.  Have you been happy with the
>> config?  Any issues?

MA> Still some minor problems, I try to figure out whats going wrong.

MA> The new approach feels less clean, because it does not use a hook anymore:
MA> "To tackle this problem, instead of hooking CHANGE-SMTP into
MA> MESSAGE-SEND-HOOK, wrap SMTPMAIL-VIA-SMTP totally"[1]

MA> I am no programmer (thank god elisp is fairly easy to read compared
MA> to, say, perl), but so far, patching my own smtpmail.el seems easier
MA> and more reliable than adding things to my .gnus.

To each his own.  I would beware of such patches or at least learn about
tools like quilt to manage these patches easily.  When (not if)
smtpmail.el is updated, you'll have to worry about the merge.

MA> Alternatively using msmtp could be another easy viable way.

Yeah, please let us know what works for you in the end.

Ted

* Re: Solved
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1409.1263482339.18930.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-01-15 18:33           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-01-15 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:18:17 +0000 (UTC) Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:

MA> I've been using debian gnu/linux exclusively for the past 3 years, but I
MA> am still hesitant to focus my whole setup on linux-only tools in case
MA> I might need/want to use windows again; I already use leafnode for
MA> gmane/usenet, rss2email for rssfeeds. If me sending email also depends on
MA> emacs-external tools, a switch would become a real hassle ... :(.

Agreed.  I try hard to keep my Emacs self-contained so Gnus will run on
W32 and MacOS X.  w3m and the TLS transport binaries are currently the
biggest OS dependency for me.

Ted

* Re: SOLVED
       [not found]       ` <mailman.12171.1259926067.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2009-12-04 18:35         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-12-04 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 12:27:09 +0100 Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

>> I use:

>> (defalias 'gnus-user-format-function-M 'gnus-registry-user-format-function-M)

>> and then you can use %uM in your format.  Mine uses "[%6uM]" to show up
>> to 6 registry marks.

UB> That was the solution, thanks very much, and as a matter of fact I even
UB> do not need gnus-cvs ngus-0.11 works fine.

UB> May I suggest to add some lines to the instructions. That was not
UB> obvious at all, at least not for me!

The registry needs real documentation, for sure.  I haven't had the
chance to write it.  If anyone wants to...

UB> Is it possible or planned to have in addition to that labels also
UB> different colors, the way thunderbird does this?

I don't know about the format lines, sorry.  Maybe someone more
experienced with them can answer.  I also would like to do icons for
those marks but don't know how that could work.

UB> And of course the real cool feature would be if gnus and thunderbird
UB> could share the same marks......:-D

Yeah, I don't think that would work currently.  Depending on where
Thunderbird stores them, maybe it could happen.  Are they custom IMAP
flags or stored in the message headers?

Ted