* beginning of a mail in the summary view
@ 2008-04-21 10:54 francois.lagarde
From: francois.lagarde @ 2008-04-21 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

hello,

I would like to customize my summary view  in asimilar with the gmail
interface:
subject of the mail followed by (using a different color) the the
first words of the mail.

any ideas?

* Re: beginning of a mail in the summary view
@ 2008-04-21 16:12 ` Peter Jones
From: Peter Jones @ 2008-04-21 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

francois.lagarde@gmail.com writes:
> I would like to customize my summary view  in asimilar with the gmail
> interface:
> subject of the mail followed by (using a different color) the the
> first words of the mail.

The manual talks about setting your summary line, and using
user-defined functions.  You could write a user function that would
take the first few words from the body of the mail and place it into
the summary line.

,----[ C-h v gnus-summary-line-format RET ]

`----

--
Peter Jones [pjones at domain below]
pmade inc. - http://pmade.com

* Re: beginning of a mail in the summary view
@ 2008-04-21 20:00   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-04-21 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:12:04 -0600 Peter Jones <dev-null@pmade.com> wrote:

PJ> francois.lagarde@gmail.com writes:
>> I would like to customize my summary view in asimilar with the gmail
>> interface: subject of the mail followed by (using a different color)
>> the the first words of the mail.

PJ> The manual talks about setting your summary line, and using
PJ> user-defined functions.  You could write a user function that would
PJ> take the first few words from the body of the mail and place it into
PJ> the summary line.

The problem is that this is a slow operation if you need the message
body over IMAP or NNTP, for example.  The data you normally have without
the body are just some headers.  I don't know if there's any way to
avoid that.  Maybe cache the summary with the gnus-registry?

Ted

* Re: beginning of a mail in the summary view
@ 2008-04-21 20:03   ` François Lagarde
From: François Lagarde @ 2008-04-21 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

In the last post, on 04/21 about 06h, "Peter" (Peter Jones) wrote:

   Peter> You could write a user function that would take the first few words
   Peter> from the body of the mail

I know that my skills in emacs are limited... does anyone has already done this
kind of function.

thanks
--
F. Lagarde

* Re: beginning of a mail in the summary view
@ 2008-04-21 20:05     ` François Lagarde
From: François Lagarde @ 2008-04-21 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

In the last post, on 04/21 about 10h, "Ted" (Ted Zlatanov) wrote:

   Ted> The problem is that this is a slow operation if you need the message
   Ted> body over IMAP or NNTP, for example.

you are right. Nevertheless I am using fetchmail, so that, all my mails are
local.

--
F. Lagarde

* Re: beginning of a mail in the summary view
@ 2008-04-22 15:34       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-04-22 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:05:02 +0200 firstname.name@gmail.com (François Lagarde) wrote:

FL> In the last post, on 04/21 about 10h, "Ted" (Ted Zlatanov) wrote:
Ted> The problem is that this is a slow operation if you need the message
Ted> body over IMAP or NNTP, for example.

FL> you are right. Nevertheless I am using fetchmail, so that, all my mails are
FL> local.

Oh, that's fine then.  You may want to turn it off for non-local groups
though.  Here's how I get the article as a string in spam.el:

(defun spam-get-article-as-string (article)
  (when (numberp article)
    (with-temp-buffer
      (gnus-request-article-this-buffer
       article
       gnus-newsgroup-name)
      (buffer-string))))

You just need the article number, which is available from the parameters
of the formatting function.  This will work for any backend.  I think
you'll get the headers too, so use message-goto-body in the temporary
buffer and then return the substring from the new position to the end.

Ted