* Re: Mark mail/news sent by myself as read?
       [not found] <mailman.8199.1204517646.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-03  7:16 ` Nicolas KOWALSKI
                     ` (4 more replies)
From: Nicolas KOWALSKI @ 2008-03-03  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,

Hello,

> Is there a way to automatically marking mail/news sent by myself as
> read?  So that they don't get counted in the unread message counter.

Yes, according to this variable:

"gnus-gcc-mark-as-read's value is nil

Documentation:
If non-nil, automatically mark Gcc articles as read.
"

--
Nicolas

* Re: Mark mail/news sent by myself as read?
@ 2008-03-03  8:00   ` William Xu
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: William Xu @ 2008-03-03  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@petole.dyndns.org> writes:

>> Is there a way to automatically marking mail/news sent by myself as
>> read?  So that they don't get counted in the unread message counter.
>
> Yes, according to this variable:
>
> "gnus-gcc-mark-as-read's value is nil
>
> Documentation:
> If non-nil, automatically mark Gcc articles as read.
> "

It is already t here.  This only works for the "Gcc:" header.

When you mail to a mailing list or newsgroup, the mail sent back from
the list or newsgroup is still unread.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

* Re: Mark mail/news sent by myself as read?
@ 2008-03-03  8:14   ` Bastien
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8204.1204531241.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-03  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas KOWALSKI; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@petole.dyndns.org> writes:

> Yes, according to this variable:
>
> "gnus-gcc-mark-as-read's value is nil

I see that this variable defaults to `nil'.
Maybe `t' is a more sensible default choice?

--
Bastien

* Re: Mark mail/news sent by myself as read?
@ 2008-03-03  8:16     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-03  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Xu; +Cc: info-gnus-english

William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:

>> "gnus-gcc-mark-as-read's value is nil
>>
>> Documentation:
>> If non-nil, automatically mark Gcc articles as read.
>> "
>
> It is already t here.  This only works for the "Gcc:" header.
>
> When you mail to a mailing list or newsgroup, the mail sent back from
> the list or newsgroup is still unread.

Which is right, since it's a new mail.

Maybe you can just lower your own score?

--
Bastien

@ 2008-03-03  8:31     ` Nicolas KOWALSKI
       [not found]       ` <mailman.8216.1204537803.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Nicolas KOWALSKI @ 2008-03-03  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:

> It is already t here.  This only works for the "Gcc:" header.
>
> When you mail to a mailing list or newsgroup, the mail sent back
> from the list or newsgroup is still unread.

Well, if your mail backend is nnimap with Cyrus-imapd behind, you may
use the "imapflags" sieve extension:

http://wiki.fastmail.fm/index.php?title=SieveFAQ#Can_I_mark_messages_from_a_Sieve_script.3F

--
Nicolas

* Re: Mark mail/news sent by myself as read?
@ 2008-03-03  9:49       ` William Xu
       [not found]       ` <mailman.8216.1204537803.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: William Xu @ 2008-03-03  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@petole.dyndns.org> writes:

> Well, if your mail backend is nnimap with Cyrus-imapd behind, you may
> use the "imapflags" sieve extension:
>
> http://wiki.fastmail.fm/index.php?title=SieveFAQ#Can_I_mark_messages_from_a_Sieve_script.3F

Hmm, I have not yet tried imap.  No solutions for pop3, nntp?

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

@ 2008-03-03 10:45 ` Sven Joachim
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8239.1204557935.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Sven Joachim @ 2008-03-03 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2008-03-03 05:13 +0100, William Xu wrote:

> Is there a way to automatically marking mail/news sent by myself as
> read?  So that they don't get counted in the unread message counter.

You can use the global score file for that.  In the group buffer, type
'W e', then insert the following (replace name and address, of course):

(("from"
  ("Your name <youraddress@your.isp>" -10000 nil e)))

Type C-c C-c, and you're done.  From now on, Gnus will skip over your
own articles in all groups.

See (Info "(gnus)Scoring") for all the g(l)ory details on scoring.

Sven

@ 2008-03-03 10:54         ` Nicolas KOWALSKI
From: Nicolas KOWALSKI @ 2008-03-03 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:

> Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@petole.dyndns.org> writes:
>
>> Well, if your mail backend is nnimap with Cyrus-imapd behind, you may
>> use the "imapflags" sieve extension:
>>
>> http://wiki.fastmail.fm/index.php?title=SieveFAQ#Can_I_mark_messages_from_a_Sieve_script.3F
>
> Hmm, I have not yet tried imap.  No solutions for pop3, nntp?

I do not know one, sorry.

BTW, if you use directly the IMAP interface of Gmail, sent mails are
always marked as read, even when sent back by mailing-lists, so this
could be your solution.

--
Nicolas

* Re: Mark mail/news sent by myself as read?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8204.1204531241.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-03 11:41   ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8221.1204544486.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-03-03 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@petole.dyndns.org> writes:

Hi,

>> Is there a way to automatically marking mail/news sent by myself as
>> read?  So that they don't get counted in the unread message counter.
>
> Yes, according to this variable:
>
> "gnus-gcc-mark-as-read's value is nil
>
> Documentation:
> If non-nil, automatically mark Gcc articles as read.
> "

I've set this to t, but in *Group* the group which got an gcc'ed article
show it as new message.  But when I hit RET on that group it'll tell me
that there are no new messages.

Is there a way that they don't show up in *Group*, too?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Viruses can't infect RMS's machine because there is nothing to
infect. RMS memorises all his documents. In binary. He just types

@ 2008-03-03 14:54     ` Nicolas KOWALSKI
From: Nicolas KOWALSKI @ 2008-03-03 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@petole.dyndns.org> writes:
>
>>> Is there a way to automatically marking mail/news sent by myself
>>> as read? So that they don't get counted in the unread message
>>> counter.
>>
>> Yes, according to this variable:
>>
>> "gnus-gcc-mark-as-read's value is nil
>>
>> Documentation:
>> If non-nil, automatically mark Gcc articles as read.
>> "
>
> I've set this to t, but in *Group* the group which got an gcc'ed
> article show it as new message. But when I hit RET on that group
> it'll tell me that there are no new messages.

Same here.

> Is there a way that they don't show up in *Group*, too?

I did not find one.

That's why I ended up not marking Gcc'ed messages read. It is more
consistent with the *Group* view.

--
Nicolas

* Re: Mark mail/news sent by myself as read?
@ 2008-03-03 15:25   ` William Xu
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8239.1204557935.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: William Xu @ 2008-03-03 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

> On 2008-03-03 05:13 +0100, William Xu wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to automatically marking mail/news sent by myself as
>> read?  So that they don't get counted in the unread message counter.
>
> You can use the global score file for that.  In the group buffer, type
> 'W e', then insert the following (replace name and address, of course):
>
> (("from"
>   ("Your name <youraddress@your.isp>" -10000 nil e)))
>
> Type C-c C-c, and you're done.  From now on, Gnus will skip over your
> own articles in all groups.
>
> See (Info "(gnus)Scoring") for all the g(l)ory details on scoring.

Hm, it looks like i don't have that binding, and didn't find it in the
info either.  My Gnus is "Gnus v5.11".

Which function does it invoke?

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

* Re: Mark mail/news sent by myself as read?
@ 2008-03-03 15:31     ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2008-03-03 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> I've set this to t, but in *Group* the group which got an gcc'ed article
> show it as new message.  But when I hit RET on that group it'll tell me
> that there are no new messages.
>
> Is there a way that they don't show up in *Group*, too?

I do not seem to have this problem.  Gcc'ed articles are not shown as
new messages.  Looks like I have no other related settings either...

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

* Re: Mark mail/news sent by myself as read?
@ 2008-03-03 15:33           ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2008-03-03 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@petole.dyndns.org> writes:

> BTW, if you use directly the IMAP interface of Gmail, sent mails are
> always marked as read, even when sent back by mailing-lists, so this
> could be your solution.

Yes, gmail acts nicely at this point.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

@ 2008-03-03 15:52     ` Sven Joachim
       [not found]       ` <mailman.8259.1204597567.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Sven Joachim @ 2008-03-03 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2008-03-03 16:25 +0100, William Xu wrote:

> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:
>> You can use the global score file for that.  In the group buffer, type
>> 'W e', then insert the following (replace name and address, of course):
>>
>> (("from"
>>   ("Your name <youraddress@your.isp>" -10000 nil e)))
>>
>> Type C-c C-c, and you're done.  From now on, Gnus will skip over your
>> own articles in all groups.
>>
>> See (Info "(gnus)Scoring") for all the g(l)ory details on scoring.
>
> Hm, it looks like i don't have that binding, and didn't find it in the
> info either.  My Gnus is "Gnus v5.11".

Oh yes, that command is new in No Gnus, sorry.

> Which function does it invoke?

It's gnus-score-edit-all-score, definition follows:

(defun gnus-score-edit-all-score ()
  "Edit the all.SCORE file."
  (interactive)
  (find-file (gnus-score-file-name "all"))
  (gnus-score-mode)
  (setq gnus-score-edit-exit-function 'gnus-score-edit-done)
  (gnus-message
   4 (substitute-command-keys
      "\\<gnus-score-mode-map>\\[gnus-score-edit-exit] to save edits")))

Just a fancy way to edit ~/News/all.SCORE, it seems.

Cheers,
       Sven

* Re: Mark mail/news sent by myself as read?
@ 2008-03-03 22:11     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-03 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, Mar 03 2008, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> I've set this to t, but in *Group* the group which got an gcc'ed article
> show it as new message.  But when I hit RET on that group it'll tell me
> that there are no new messages.
>
> Is there a way that they don't show up in *Group*, too?

I don't see that behavior normally.  But I seem to recall that it
happens when the corresponding summary buffer is open.  Let's try...

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Mark mail/news sent by myself as read?
@ 2008-03-03 22:11       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-03 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, Mar 03 2008, Reiner Steib wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 03 2008, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>> I've set this to t, but in *Group* the group which got an gcc'ed article
>> show it as new message.  But when I hit RET on that group it'll tell me
>> that there are no new messages.
>>
>> Is there a way that they don't show up in *Group*, too?
>
> I don't see that behavior normally.  But I seem to recall that it
> happens when the corresponding summary buffer is open.  Let's try...

No.  I can't reproduce this problem.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Mark mail/news sent by myself as read?
@ 2008-03-04  2:25       ` William Xu
       [not found]       ` <mailman.8259.1204597567.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: William Xu @ 2008-03-04  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

> Oh yes, that command is new in No Gnus, sorry.

Nope.

You mail agent tells that you are using No Gnus with 22.1.91.   So you
pulled Gnus from Gnus repo other than the one in Emacs repo?

>> Which function does it invoke?
>
> It's gnus-score-edit-all-score, definition follows:

> (defun gnus-score-edit-all-score ()
>   "Edit the all.SCORE file."
>   (interactive)
>   (find-file (gnus-score-file-name "all"))
>   (gnus-score-mode)
>   (setq gnus-score-edit-exit-function 'gnus-score-edit-done)
>   (gnus-message
>    4 (substitute-command-keys
>       "\\<gnus-score-mode-map>\\[gnus-score-edit-exit] to save edits")))
>
> Just a fancy way to edit ~/News/all.SCORE, it seems.

Thanks.  I'll try how it works.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

@ 2008-03-04  6:37         ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2008-03-04  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2008-03-04 03:25 +0100, William Xu wrote:

> You mail agent tells that you are using No Gnus with 22.1.91.   So you
> pulled Gnus from Gnus repo other than the one in Emacs repo?

Yes.

* Re: Mark mail/news sent by myself as read?
@ 2008-03-04  8:54         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-03-04  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi Reiner,

>> On Mon, Mar 03 2008, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>>> I've set this to t, but in *Group* the group which got an gcc'ed
>>> article show it as new message.  But when I hit RET on that group
>>> it'll tell me that there are no new messages.
>>>
>>> Is there a way that they don't show up in *Group*, too?
>>
>> I don't see that behavior normally.  But I seem to recall that it
>> happens when the corresponding summary buffer is open.  Let's try...
>
> No.  I can't reproduce this problem.

In my config I use gnus-parameters with extensive use of gcc-self.

(setq gnus-parameters
      `((,(rx "Fastmail:INBOX.mailinglists.bbdb-info")
         (to-address . "bbdb-info@lists.sourceforge.net")
         (subscribed . t)
         (gcc-self   . "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items"))

        [...]

        (,(rx "Fastmail:INBOX.uni")
         (gcc-self   . t))))

When I enter the "uni" folder and write a mail, it will be visible in
*Group*.  When I write the mail with `C-u m' on INBOX.uni it won't show
up there.  So at least for (gcc-self . t) your remembrance is correct.

And I'm pretty sure that replies to mailing-lists (wich use gcc-self to
my "Sont Items" box) show up in *Group*, too.  Then the corresponding
mailing-list group is open, of course.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Vendor lock-in is when vendors  lock themselves inside of a building out
of fear of Richard Stallman's wrath.

* Mark mail/news sent by myself as read?
@ 2008-03-03  4:13 William Xu