* nnimap backend gets stuck with ssl
@ 2007-03-28  7:50 Konstantin Kletschke
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Konstantin Kletschke @ 2007-03-28  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi Folks!

I use gnus' nnimap to connect to four imap accounts. While this works
perfect at home to my home imap server this is broken at work over a
dsl connection. When I let emacs idle a minute the imap server
disconnects.
After that emacs/gnus doesn'T realize that and does no attempt to
reconnect. When I press g in summary buffer it hangs displaying the
hourglass.

This is with the builtin openssl ssl method or with

(setq imap-ssl-program "/usr/bin/stunnel -t 110 -c -r %s:%p")

The funny thing is, when I invoke the stunnel command alone, it
connects and returns to prompt after the imap servre is fed up idling.

Is there any help beautyfying this situation? I find some entries in
mail archives or newsgroup but no solution or misleading ones not
matching my situation so I wan't to get to know the actual situation.

This happens with GNU Emacs 22.0.95.1 and its builtin gnus.

Kind Regards, Konsti

* Re: nnimap backend gets stuck with ssl
@ 2007-03-28 10:16 ` Konstantin Kletschke
       [not found] ` <mailman.1522.1175078209.7795.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Konstantin Kletschke @ 2007-03-28 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

What I forgot to mention is, that I have the problem also connecting
via STARTTLS or gnutls-cli.
Whenever this happens I can hop over the hourglass with C-g but
finally emacs hangs in an endless loop, especially when I wan't to
exit gnus with q. After I do killall [openssl|gnutls-cli|stunnel]
emacs accepts the keys finishing the exit and exits.

* Re: nnimap backend gets stuck with ssl
@ 2007-03-28 10:33 ` Jouni K. Seppänen
       [not found] ` <mailman.1522.1175078209.7795.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Jouni K. Seppänen @ 2007-03-28 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Konstantin Kletschke <konsti@ku-gbr.de> writes:

> When I let emacs idle a minute the imap server disconnects. After
> that emacs/gnus doesn'T realize that and does no attempt to
> reconnect. When I press g in summary buffer it hangs displaying the
> hourglass.

When you press ^ in the *Group* buffer, you should get a *Server*
buffer. If the imap server is shown as "denied", it means Gnus has
given up on it, and won't try to reconnect.

I have occasionally had problems (but not frequently, so it is hard to
comment on repeatability) when I move my laptop from home to work or
vice versa. An SSL imap connection is shown as "open" but Emacs hangs
when I press g. Multiple C-g's revive Emacs, and closing the server by
pressing C (perhaps followed by more C-g's?) in the *Server* buffer
lets Gnus know that it should reconnect. This is on "GNU Emacs
22.0.92.1 (i386-apple-darwin8.8.2, Carbon Version 1.6.0) of 2007-01-20
on potato.local", Gnus updated now and then from CVS.

--
Jouni K. Seppänen
http://www.iki.fi/jks

@ 2007-03-28 11:44   ` Konstantin Kletschke
From: Konstantin Kletschke @ 2007-03-28 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Jouni K. Seppänen <jks@iki.fi> writes:

> When you press ^ in the *Group* buffer, you should get a *Server*

Okay, I meant the *Group* buffer when I spoke of a summary buffer.

> buffer. If the imap server is shown as "denied", it means Gnus has
> given up on it, and won't try to reconnect.

With severeal C-g's I tested to get into server buffer. There the
Servers are stated "opened".
C and several C-g closes them and gnus thinks of reconnecting after
that.

Shouldn't this considered really as a bug?
When I answer a mail and send it gnus can not make it as replied
anymore.

> I have occasionally had problems (but not frequently, so it is hard to
> comment on repeatability) when I move my laptop from home to work or
> vice versa. An SSL imap connection is shown as "open" but Emacs hangs
> when I press g. Multiple C-g's revive Emacs, and closing the server
> by

I wonder why I have this problem only at work over dialup. We are
getting no new IP address or disconnect meanwhile and I set down
tcp_keepalive_time to 600 which lets my ssh connections life forever.

Regards, Konsti