* Why I can't use gnus...
@ 2006-08-06 21:31 Mathias Gehrung
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Mathias Gehrung @ 2006-08-06 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

... as my favourite mailreader. I enjoy using gnus as newsreader, and
so I thought it would be fine using it for mail too. So I spent some
days trying to get it to work with the several email-accounts I'm
using. While IMAP's working fine, I experienced several problems using
pop and smtp. Especially when using ssl or non-standard-ports
(i.e. gmail smtp). So I did some searching the web and this
newsgroup. Since I don't want to get together all needed files from
several sources and different versions, I couldn't get things to
work. Trying gnus from CVS helped a little, but still some things
didn't work. So I ended up not using gnus for my email-thingy. So if
anybody has still some tipps (the easy way) how to get gnus to work
with pop and smtp using ssl I'd be delighted to hear them.

Thanks,

Mathias

* Re: Why I can't use gnus...
@ 2006-08-06 22:17 ` Hadron Quark
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-08-06 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mathias Gehrung" <matzematiker@gmx.de> writes:

> ... as my favourite mailreader. I enjoy using gnus as newsreader, and
> so I thought it would be fine using it for mail too. So I spent some
> days trying to get it to work with the several email-accounts I'm
> using. While IMAP's working fine, I experienced several problems using
> pop and smtp. Especially when using ssl or non-standard-ports
> (i.e. gmail smtp). So I did some searching the web and this
> newsgroup. Since I don't want to get together all needed files from
> several sources and different versions, I couldn't get things to
> work. Trying gnus from CVS helped a little, but still some things
> didn't work. So I ended up not using gnus for my email-thingy. So if
> anybody has still some tipps (the easy way) how to get gnus to work
> with pop and smtp using ssl I'd be delighted to hear them.

I am the same with smtp send in gnus : nowhere can I find a working
example of how to get smtp-send-mail working with gmails smtp
servers. It might mean giving up on gnus alltogether since my owm
dynamic IP is in a banned IP range meaning certain mail hosts will not
accept mails sent by my machine.

* Re: Why I can't use gnus...
@ 2006-08-06 23:56   ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-08-06 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> "Mathias Gehrung" <matzematiker@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> ... as my favourite mailreader. I enjoy using gnus as newsreader, and
>> so I thought it would be fine using it for mail too. So I spent some
>> days trying to get it to work with the several email-accounts I'm
>> using. While IMAP's working fine, I experienced several problems using
>> pop and smtp. Especially when using ssl or non-standard-ports
>> (i.e. gmail smtp). So I did some searching the web and this
>> newsgroup. Since I don't want to get together all needed files from
>> several sources and different versions, I couldn't get things to
>> work. Trying gnus from CVS helped a little, but still some things
>> didn't work. So I ended up not using gnus for my email-thingy. So if
>> anybody has still some tipps (the easy way) how to get gnus to work
>> with pop and smtp using ssl I'd be delighted to hear them.
>
> I am the same with smtp send in gnus : nowhere can I find a working
> example of how to get smtp-send-mail working with gmails smtp
> servers. It might mean giving up on gnus alltogether since my owm
> dynamic IP is in a banned IP range meaning certain mail hosts will not
> accept mails sent by my machine.

I got it working : in ubuntu I got the emacs snapshot, changed the
"emacs" link in /usr/bin to point to emacs-snapshot-gtk.

And set up like this:

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail

* Re: Why I can't use gnus...
@ 2006-08-07  6:45     ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-08-07  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> I got it working : in ubuntu I got the emacs snapshot, changed the
> "emacs" link in /usr/bin to point to emacs-snapshot-gtk.

You shouldn't touch links in /usr/bin manually; to make the `emacs'
command point to emacs-snapshot-gtk, use

  update-alternatives --config emacs

and select your preferred alternative (as root).

(Slightly off-topic.)

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the
                                        | ever free! --Bryan W. Procter

* Re: Why I can't use gnus...
@ 2006-08-07  6:53       ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-08-07  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I got it working : in ubuntu I got the emacs snapshot, changed the
>> "emacs" link in /usr/bin to point to emacs-snapshot-gtk.
>
> You shouldn't touch links in /usr/bin manually; to make the `emacs'
> command point to emacs-snapshot-gtk, use
>
>   update-alternatives --config emacs
>
> and select your preferred alternative (as root).
>
> (Slightly off-topic.)

Wow. I'd never even heard of that before! Thanks very much.

* Re: Why I can't use gnus...
@ 2006-08-07 19:04 ` David Hansen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Hansen @ 2006-08-07 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 23:31:48 +0200 Mathias Gehrung wrote:

> ... as my favourite mailreader. I enjoy using gnus as newsreader, and
> so I thought it would be fine using it for mail too. So I spent some
> days trying to get it to work with the several email-accounts I'm
> using. While IMAP's working fine, I experienced several problems using
> pop and smtp. Especially when using ssl or non-standard-ports
> (i.e. gmail smtp).

Why don't you use external programs for sending and fetching
mails?  fetchmail and exim work pretty well for me.  IMHO
thats not the job of the MUA anyway.

David

* Re: Why I can't use gnus...
       [not found] ` <mailman.4961.1154977782.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-08-07 19:13   ` Hadron Quark
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4971.1155005004.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-08-07 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 23:31:48 +0200 Mathias Gehrung wrote:
>
>> ... as my favourite mailreader. I enjoy using gnus as newsreader, and
>> so I thought it would be fine using it for mail too. So I spent some
>> days trying to get it to work with the several email-accounts I'm
>> using. While IMAP's working fine, I experienced several problems using
>> pop and smtp. Especially when using ssl or non-standard-ports
>> (i.e. gmail smtp).
>
> Why don't you use external programs for sending and fetching
> mails?  fetchmail and exim work pretty well for me.  IMHO
> thats not the job of the MUA anyway.

A lot of public IPs assigned by ISPs are banned by hosts of mail servers
because they have been used before by spammers. Thats one good reason
and why I moved to using gmails smtp servers.

* Re: Why I can't use gnus...
@ 2006-08-08  1:32 ` William Xu
       [not found] ` <mailman.4961.1154977782.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: William Xu @ 2006-08-08  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mathias Gehrung" <matzematiker@gmx.de> writes:

> ... as my favourite mailreader. I enjoy using gnus as newsreader, and
> so I thought it would be fine using it for mail too. So I spent some
> days trying to get it to work with the several email-accounts I'm
> using. While IMAP's working fine, I experienced several problems using
> pop and smtp. Especially when using ssl or non-standard-ports
> (i.e. gmail smtp). So I did some searching the web and this
> newsgroup. Since I don't want to get together all needed files from
> several sources and different versions, I couldn't get things to
> work.

Why not? Just download several files' latest version(namely,
smthmail.el, pop3.el, starttls.el and ssh.el), place them under your
site-lisp directory, set the following, you're done.

  (require 'starttls)
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
	smtpmail-smtp-service 587
	smtpmail-auth-credentials
	'(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "william.xwl@gmail.com" "password"))
	smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))

--
William

The number of licorice gumballs you get out of a gumball machine
increases in direct proportion to how much you hate licorice.

* Re: Why I can't use gnus...
@ 2006-08-08  2:26     ` Ivan Boldyrev
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4971.1155005004.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Ivan Boldyrev @ 2006-08-08  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9560 day of my life Hadron Quark wrote:
>> Why don't you use external programs for sending and fetching
>> mails?  fetchmail and exim work pretty well for me.
>
> A lot of public IPs assigned by ISPs are banned by hosts of mail servers
> because they have been used before by spammers. Thats one good reason
> and why I moved to using gmails smtp servers.

You can configure your MTA to send your mail through gmail, not
directly.  I used this configuration for years until switched to UUCP :)

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                  Sorry my terrible English, my native language is Lisp!

* Re: Why I can't use gnus...
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4971.1155005004.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-08-08  7:40       ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-08-08  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ivan Boldyrev <boldyrev+nospam@cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru> writes:

> On 9560 day of my life Hadron Quark wrote:
>>> Why don't you use external programs for sending and fetching
>>> mails?  fetchmail and exim work pretty well for me.
>>
>> A lot of public IPs assigned by ISPs are banned by hosts of mail servers
>> because they have been used before by spammers. Thats one good reason
>> and why I moved to using gmails smtp servers.
>
> You can configure your MTA to send your mail through gmail, not
> directly.  I used this configuration for years until switched to UUCP :)

Which MTA?

* Re: Why I can't use gnus...
@ 2006-08-09  2:39         ` Ivan Boldyrev
From: Ivan Boldyrev @ 2006-08-09  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> ... Thats one good reason and why I moved to using gmails smtp
>>> servers.
>>
>> You can configure your MTA to send your mail through gmail, not
>> directly.  I used this configuration for years until switched to UUCP :)
>
> Which MTA?

exim/postfix/sendmail.

I used sendmail and then postfix.

--

@ 2006-08-09 15:51   ` Mathias Gehrung
From: Mathias Gehrung @ 2006-08-09 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 23:31:48 +0200 Mathias Gehrung wrote:
>
> Why don't you use external programs for sending and fetching
> mails?  fetchmail and exim work pretty well for me.  IMHO
> thats not the job of the MUA anyway.
>
> David

That's because this is my desktop computer and I don't want to have to
care about numberless services on it. Obviously the work for
configuration and maintainig has to be done, but I prefer it this way.
Another point is that I'm using different mailaccounts with different
SMTP-Servers. When I tried to use a typical MTA for that I found no
way to do it. I only found one which was able to handle different relay
hosts. Because of that I switched to MUA which are also able to send
and recieve directly.

Mathias

* Re: Why I can't use gnus...
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.4961.1154977782.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-08-09 15:58 ` Mathias Gehrung
From: Mathias Gehrung @ 2006-08-09 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for your answers so far. I've had some spare time and wanted
to know if it would really work. So I got both emacs and gnus from
CVS. After some trying it worked so far that I was satisfied. After
finding out which files I had to replace that everthing works with my
emacs and gnus from my debian system now everything is fine. The only
thing I couldn't get to work is using port 465 rather than 25 on two
smtp servers. While port 25 works on that servers emacs hangs when
sending using 465, but it can be aborted with a double C-g. Still any
hints on that? I used port 465 on these servers with thunderbird, so
I'm sure it works.

Mathias