From: John Sullivan <usenet@wjsullivan.net>
Subject: Re: gnus and namazu, glimpse, swish-e or swish++ ?
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:31:18 -0400	[thread overview]

> On Fri, Jun 30 2006, Gijs Hillenius wrote:
>
>> I've been using swish++ to index and search for messages in gnus for
>> quite a while. Just out of curiosity I'm reading up on namazu, glimpse
>> and swish-e. Swish++ apparently is less than optimal for indexing
>> languages other than English. Which made me wonder -- would there be a
>> better index/search tool for my linguistically somewhat mixed
>> mailboxes?  Which do other gnus-users recommend?

I've recently switched to namazu for nnir because it seems to have better
support for searching on specific mail headers, and because it indexes so much
faster than swish-e (and with much less load while doing it).

But, for mail searching, if you are using maildir, check out mairix. I haven't
looked at integrating it into emacs yet, but it builds a maildir folder
containing links to the matching messages, which you can then browse in Gnus. I
can't believe how fast it searches -- it's unreal. I use mairix to search my
maildir groups and namazu on the nnml groups. But I plan on shifting everything
over to maildir (nnimap actually).

--
-John Sullivan1
-http://www.wjsullivan.net