* Subject of PGP-encrypted emails
@ 2021-08-03 18:05 Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2021-08-03 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I just installed Thunderbird on my nephew's new school-computer (I'm not
starting him on Emacs just yet) and tried out the built-in PGP-support.

I noticed that instead of including an unencrypted Subject:-header, it
is replaced by "Subject: ..." and then 'filled in' when the message is
decrypted.

I wonder if anyone has looked into adapting Gnus to do something similar?

Or maybe just do the same extraction and 'filling in' of the Subject:
when reading an encrypted email sent from Thunderbird.

It looks like what Thunderbird does it that it generates an
encrypted.asc which decrypts to a MIME message, which has a part that
includes the Subject:-header:

  Subject: Dette er emnelinien
  From: Test Testersen <test@koldfront.dk>
  To: =?UTF-8?Q?Adam_Sj=c3=b8gren?= <asjo@koldfront.dk>

So the display-part is perhaps easier than the sending part.

I also noticed that Thunderbird included an Autocrypt:-header, which
seems to include the public key of the sender - I haven't looked into
it, but it might be worth adding support for that in Gnus as well? Or
maybe it's a waste of bandwidth...

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Our voodoo-dolls are full of hopes"                       Adam Sjøgren
                                                       asjo@koldfront.dk