Unnamed repository; edit this file 'description' to name the repository.
* Highlight process-marked files in Gnus summary?
@ 2020-05-18  2:42 Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-05-18  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

seems there is no built-in way to highlight (complete lines) of
process-marked files in the Gnus summary, since # is not a normal mark
and can't be specified in `gnus-summary-highlight'?  Is there some other
way (in Gnus)?

The obvious goal is to get a better overview of what is marked before I
e.g. delete the articles.  It's too easy to make a mistake with only
those little # marks around.  Ideally the used face would specify a
background color (like hl-line) so it doesn't interfere with the stuff
in `gnus-summary-highlight'.

Thanks in advance,

Michael.

* Re: Highlight process-marked files in Gnus summary?
@ 2020-05-18 15:38 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-05-18 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> Hi,
>
> seems there is no built-in way to highlight (complete lines) of
> process-marked files in the Gnus summary, since # is not a normal mark
> and can't be specified in `gnus-summary-highlight'?  Is there some other
> way (in Gnus)?
>
> The obvious goal is to get a better overview of what is marked before I
> e.g. delete the articles.  It's too easy to make a mistake with only
> those little # marks around.  Ideally the used face would specify a
> background color (like hl-line) so it doesn't interfere with the stuff
> in `gnus-summary-highlight'.

I haven't ever looked at the summary-highlight code, but would it be
hard to add another entry in there, call it `process', to specifically
target the process mark?

* Re: Highlight process-marked files in Gnus summary?
@ 2020-05-19 13:47   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-05-19 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Michael Heerdegen, info-gnus-english

>> The obvious goal is to get a better overview of what is marked before I
>> e.g. delete the articles.  It's too easy to make a mistake with only
>> those little # marks around.  Ideally the used face would specify a
>> background color (like hl-line) so it doesn't interfere with the stuff
>> in `gnus-summary-highlight'.
>
> I haven't ever looked at the summary-highlight code, but would it be
> hard to add another entry in there, call it `process', to specifically
> target the process mark?

I don't think that's necessary?  Can't you just add highlighting based
on pretty much anything in the highlighting code?  (It's been a while
since I looked at it...)

* Re: Highlight process-marked files in Gnus summary?
@ 2020-05-19 23:13     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-05-19 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, info-gnus-english

> > I haven't ever looked at the summary-highlight code, but would it be
> > hard to add another entry in there, call it `process', to specifically
> > target the process mark?
>
> I don't think that's necessary?  Can't you just add highlighting based
> on pretty much anything in the highlighting code?  (It's been a while
> since I looked at it...)

I had a quick look.  You currently have to refer to a set of predefined
variables in entries in `gnus-summary-highlight':

score:        The article's score.
default:      The default article score.
default-high: The default score for high scored articles.
default-low:  The default score for low scored articles.
mark:         The article's mark.
uncached:     Non-nil if the article is uncached.

though, actually, any expression is allowed I think.  It would be easier
if one could refer to the article number via `article'.  So currently, I
would have to do something like this:

(add-to-list 'gnus-summary-highlight
             '((memq (or (gnus-summary-article-number) gnus-current-article)
                     gnus-newsgroup-processable)
               . hl-line))

I would suggest to at least do the following:

(1) Provide an `article' variable.  Maybe also provide `processable' as
suggested and/or `sec-mark' (somewhere in the code the process mark is
called a "secondary mark")?

(2) make the docstring of `gnus-summary-highlight' say that arbitrary
expressions are allowed, and that they are evaluated with point
positioned on the according article's line.

For (1), AFAIU two places would need to be changed:
`gnus-summary-highlight-line' and `gnus-tree-highlight-node'.  Seems to
be simple to do.

Thanks,

@ 2020-05-22 13:00       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-05-22 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, info-gnus-english

> I would suggest to at least do the following:
>
> (1) Provide an `article' variable.  Maybe also provide `processable' as
> suggested and/or `sec-mark' (somewhere in the code the process mark is
> called a "secondary mark")?

I think everything that's not a readedness mark is a secondary mark
(like % and the like).

> (2) make the docstring of `gnus-summary-highlight' say that arbitrary
> expressions are allowed, and that they are evaluated with point
> positioned on the according article's line.
>
> For (1), AFAIU two places would need to be changed:
> `gnus-summary-highlight-line' and `gnus-tree-highlight-node'.  Seems to
> be simple to do.

Sounds good to me -- patches welcome.  :-)