* Hanging gnus session
@ 2015-02-10 13:26 Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2015-02-10 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I moved gnus to new hardware and did some file reorganizaiton and gnus
no longer operates as it should.

Here is my setup. In .fluxbox I have a key defined that starts an
"emacs-gnus" executable script. That script simply has:

     #!/bin/sh
     emacs -q -l /home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/gnus.el
     exit 0

The gnus.el file defines the news servers and some other parameters
which have never been a problem. As its final line I have:

      (gnus)

When I hit the key, gnus starts OK, and it checks new news. However,
there are two problems.

First, when gnus starts, the emacs minibuffer says, "Gnus auto-save
file exists. Do you want to read it?" If I respond "y", messages are
retrieved. I don't know why gnus needs to access an auto-save file and I
would like to avoid the query under normal conditions.

Second, when I do "g" to update the groups, gnus simply hangs. $ ps aux
tells me there are two processes running:

    /bin/sh /home/haines/scripts/emacs-gnus
    emacs -q -l /home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/gnus.el

I have to kill them and start gnus anew in order to read news again. I
would prefer that the emacs client run gnus all the time and I only need
to press g to update it.

Haines Brown