* gnus version numbering
@ 2009-04-10 20:55 Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-04-10 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

How does the version numbering work, and what on Earth is 'No Gnus'?

The manuals seem to refer to different verions (the monolithic pdf to
No-Gnus v 0.11, and the illustrated pdf to Gnus v5.10). I appear to have
v 5.13. What is the latest version?

confused....

* Re: gnus version numbering
@ 2009-04-12 19:55     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-04-12 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Paul,

>> If I am not mistaken, then you can find an article by Reiner Steib
>> explaining the current thinking on the developement list somewhere;
>> something like:
>>
>>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66561
>
> Thanks, these were useful, but they still seem to refer to 5.10 and I
> apparently have 5.13. Is the current version information available
> anywhere? I can't find it on the gnus website.

5.13 is the one in the Emacs repository which will be bundled with Emacs
23.  It's the most recent version you can get.  Basically it's more or
less the same than the HEAD version of Gnus' CVS (now don't ask me 'bout
its number. ;-))

Bye,
Tassilo
--
sudo = stallman user designation option

* Re: gnus version numbering
@ 2009-04-12 10:01   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-04-12 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> You can read more about it in the manual, or perhaps in a copy of the
> manual available on www:
>
>   http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_351.html
>
> If I am not mistaken, then you can find an article by Reiner Steib
> explaining the current thinking on the developement list somewhere;
> something like:
>
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66561

Thanks, these were useful, but they still seem to refer to 5.10 and I
apparently have 5.13. Is the current version information available
anywhere? I can't find it on the gnus website.

Thanks, Paul

* Re: gnus version numbering
       [not found] <mailman.5094.1239397054.31690.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-11 18:20 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2009-04-11 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 21:55:29 +0100, Paul wrote:

> How does the version numbering work, and what on Earth is 'No Gnus'?

No Gnus is the name of the current development version of Gnus. Previous
codenames include "Oort Gnus", "Pterodactyl Gnus", "Quassia Gnus", etc.

You can read more about it in the manual, or perhaps in a copy of the
manual available on www:

  http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_351.html

> The manuals seem to refer to different verions (the monolithic pdf to
> No-Gnus v 0.11, and the illustrated pdf to Gnus v5.10). I appear to have
> v 5.13. What is the latest version?

> confused....

Don't worry, it is slightly complicated.

If I am not mistaken, then you can find an article by Reiner Steib
explaining the current thinking on the developement list somewhere;
something like:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66561

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "En fjern transistor stiller ind på Kalundborg"              Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk