* Re: error after reading init file with r
       [not found] <87ptbtkp6p.fsf@rechner1.ddorf.de>
@ 2004-03-04  8:51 ` Cor Gest
       [not found]   ` <873c8oly9q.fsf@rechner1.ddorf.de>
From: Cor Gest @ 2004-03-04  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some hopefully ableminded and witty human entity
disguising itself as: Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> wrote :

> Hello,
>
> I get an error-message when I read the init file again. It says:
>
> Error in ~/.gnus: stringp
>
> What does that mean? I get the same message after closing Gnus and starting it
> in the same Emacs-session. So right now, I have to start Emacs again.

Well, it could be a lot, but mainly this means that there is some
syntactical error in your .emacs.

a nice way which uses the elisp power in debugging is:
rename .emacs to .emacs.el
now automatically cl-mode is invoked vs text-mode.

visit the file .emacs.el

C-x evaluate buffer read the comments in the the message-buffer and
act according to the mentioned errors.

emacs is rather smart in making one feel dumb. ;-)

cor

--
          Artificial intelligence has no cure for human stupidity
(setq reply-to (concatenate 'string "Cor Gest " "<cor" '(#\@)  "clsnet.nl>"))

@ 2004-03-04 10:50     ` Cor Gest
From: Cor Gest @ 2004-03-04 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some hopefully ableminded and witty human entity
disguising itself as: Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> wrote :

> > rename .emacs to .emacs.el
> > now automatically cl-mode is invoked vs text-mode.
> >
> > visit the file .emacs.el
> >
> > C-x evaluate buffer read the comments in the the message-buffer and
> > act according to the mentioned errors.
>
> I don't get any mistake!? It just says: Already loaded.

You did, C-x C-f .emacs.el as to edit it.

M-x load-file .emacs.el will result in the message allready loaded.

The debugger should find the errors.

cor