I can confirm that setting `nnimap-split-download-body-default' to t works as intended. I really should have tried that first. It sounds like the removal wasn't intentional, so hopefully it can be added back. It seems to download the body before the splitting, which is unfortunate. It would be better if it only downloaded the body when the split required it. Or if it could match the sender against a whitelist of accepted senders and only download when they matched. Or the same thing but with the summary, but then it's getting close to just adding a simpler split system before the real one, which is a little odd. So I don't forget, someone also suggested `nnimap-split-download-body size', which might be a useful addition: