* Incorrect character encoding in received messages
@ 2019-12-25 18:13 Garjola Dindi
From: Garjola Dindi @ 2019-12-25 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi all,

I have recently been having trouble with Gnus decoding some e-mails as
ASCII when actually they should be decoded as unicode.

For instance, in French, the “à” char gets displayed as “\340”.

If I go to «edit mode» with 'gnus-summary-edit-article' and just do C-c
C-c (with no real edit), the message gets displayed correctly.

Another example with the "é" char which appears as 'i' in an HTML
message. Describe char gives me this:

>             character: i (displayed as i) (codepoint 105, #o151, #x69)                    >
>               charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))                                         >
> code point in charset: 0x69                                                               >
>                script: latin                                                              >
>                syntax: w 	which means: word                                           >
>              category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman        >
>              to input: type "C-x 8 RET 69" or "C-x 8 RET LATIN SMALL LETTER I"            >
>           buffer code: #x69                                                               >
>             file code: #x69 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)                         >
>               display: by this font (glyph code)                                          >
>     xfthb:-PfEd-DejaVu Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x4C)         >
>                                                                                           >
> Character code properties: customize what to show                                         >
>   name: LATIN SMALL LETTER I                                                              >
>   general-category: Ll (Letter, Lowercase)                                                >
>   decomposition: (105) ('i')                                                              >

And after 'gnus-summary-edit-article' followed by C-c C-c:

>             character: é (displayed as é) (codepoint 233, #o351, #xe9)                                 >
>               charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))                                                    >
> code point in charset: 0xE9                                                                            >
>                script: latin                                                                           >
>                syntax: w 	which means: word                                                        >
>              category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), c:Chinese, j:Japanese, l:Latin, v:Viet        >
>              to input: type "C-x 8 RET e9" or "C-x 8 RET LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE"              >
>           buffer code: #xC3 #xA9                                                                       >
>             file code: #xC3 #xA9 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)                                 >
>               display: by this font (glyph code)                                                       >
>     xfthb:-PfEd-DejaVu Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#xAB)                      >
>                                                                                                        >
> Character code properties: customize what to show                                                      >
>   name: LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE                                                                >
>   old-name: LATIN SMALL LETTER E ACUTE                                                                 >
>   general-category: Ll (Letter, Lowercase)                                                             >
>   decomposition: (101 769) ('e' '́')                                                                    >

Any idea of what may be happening here?

I am on emacs master, but there is no difference with 26.3.

Thanks!

G.