* character set for Russian and French reading Google News
@ 2010-08-19  6:48 Soichi
From: Soichi @ 2010-08-19  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gnus/5.110006 (No Gnus v0.6) Emacs/23.0.60 (gnu/linux)

Hi.  I have recently added RSS feeds of Google news in both Russian and French.  Emacs and Gnus receive the feeds but the fonts are messed up.  Interestingly, the titles of those feeds are shown properly in the corresponding languages.  And of course, I have set Russian and French fonts in .emacs file and can write in both languages without problem.

One of the feeds is like,

http://news.google.co.jp/news?pz=1&cf=all&ned=ru_ru&hl=ru&topic=w&output=rss

Could anyone help me out for setting the proper fonts in Russian and French in reading the news with Gnus?

soichi

* Re: character set for Russian and French reading Google News
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8.1282278793.17587.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-08-25  5:46     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-08-25  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

soichi wrote:
> I have added
>  (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
> into .gnus.el, but no change.  I believe that emacs-w3m is the latest.

You might have the corrupted nnrss files[1] that were made before
you've set `mm-text-html-renderer' to `w3m'.  How about re-creating
those groups (i.e. delete groups by typing `C-u G DEL' in the group
buffer one by one, and do `G R' again)?

> More precisely, the following happens.
> When I choose an entry of the feed in the summary buffer, Emacs asks,

> "Message contains characters with unknown encoding."
> "use ASCII as charset?"

> if I choose "y" for it, the fonts become a mess. "n" does pretty
> much the same.

[...]

So far I've never faced that problem, though the one I checked was
only that Russian feed in question.  Sorry for the lazy response.

[1] Those files exist in the directory ~/News/rss/ (the default)
and each name consists of the nnrss group name and ".el".  For
instance, "В мире – Новости Google.el" or somthing
is for the group:

@ 2010-08-20  4:33   ` soichi
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8.1282278793.17587.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: soichi @ 2010-08-20  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thanks for the reply.

I have added

 (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)

into .gnus.el, but no change.  I believe that emacs-w3m is the latest.

More precisely, the following happens.

When I choose an entry of the feed in the summary buffer, Emacs asks,

"Message contains characters with unknown encoding."
"use ASCII as charset?"

if I choose "y" for it, the fonts become a mess. "n" does pretty much the same.

If I jump from a link in the entry to the real web page with w3m, the fonts are fine.

Do I need something else? Or something interferes it?

soichi

       [not found] <mailman.4.1282200538.31206.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-08-20  0:20 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8.1282278793.17587.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>