* Gather Responses
@ 2006-09-24  2:00 Randy Yates
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Randy Yates @ 2006-09-24  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's a query to the group or a suggestion to anyone who
may have the know-how:

I find that much of my time in usenet is spent looking for responses
to posts I have made. Couldn't gnus be made to automatically gather
such responses (perhaps the time frame could default to the date
since the last gathering was done, or passed as a parameter)?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "With time with what you've learned,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  they'll kiss the ground you walk

* Re: Gather Responses
@ 2006-09-24 17:55 ` Mark T.B. Carroll
       [not found] ` <mailman.7720.1159942819.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Mark T.B. Carroll @ 2006-09-24 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
(snip)
> I find that much of my time in usenet is spent looking for responses
> to posts I have made. Couldn't gnus be made to automatically gather
> such responses (perhaps the time frame could default to the date
> since the last gathering was done, or passed as a parameter)?

I set gnus-message-archive-group and look for the messages in there
instead. Given the article ID it's easy to go to the relevant group and
jump to it. HTH, even if it's not quite what you asked.

-- Mark

* Re: Gather Responses
@ 2006-09-26  4:49   ` Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2006-09-26  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

mark@ixod.org (Mark T.B. Carroll) writes:

> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
> (snip)
>> I find that much of my time in usenet is spent looking for responses
>> to posts I have made. Couldn't gnus be made to automatically gather
>> such responses (perhaps the time frame could default to the date
>> since the last gathering was done, or passed as a parameter)?
>
> I set gnus-message-archive-group and look for the messages in there
> instead. Given the article ID it's easy to go to the relevant group and
> jump to it.

How do you do that?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Watching all the days go by...
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  Who are you and who am I?"

@ 2006-09-26 14:36     ` Mark T.B. Carroll
From: Mark T.B. Carroll @ 2006-09-26 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

> mark@ixod.org (Mark T.B. Carroll) writes:
(snip)
>> I set gnus-message-archive-group and look for the messages in there
>> instead. Given the article ID it's easy to go to the relevant group and
>> jump to it.
>
> How do you do that?

Well, once I've looked in the gnus-message-archive-group (mine is
"nnml:mail.outgoing") and found the article, I can see what newsgroup it
was in and what its article number or message ID was, and then from the
summary buffer 'j' will take me to the group and from the group buffer
'j' again will let me type an article number or message ID (which I've
probably stored in my paste buffer).

If you don't use lots of NNTP servers spread among secondary select
methods, you can probably just use 'j' from the archive group and type
the message ID there to get the article from the correct group, instead
of navigating to the correct group yourself.

-- Mark

* Re: Gather Responses
@ 2006-10-04  5:21 ` Raj Shekhar
       [not found] ` <mailman.7720.1159942819.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Raj Shekhar @ 2006-10-04  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy Yates wrote:

> Here's a query to the group or a suggestion to anyone who
> may have the know-how:
>
> I find that much of my time in usenet is spent looking for responses
> to posts I have made. Couldn't gnus be made to automatically gather
> such responses (perhaps the time frame could default to the date
> since the last gathering was done, or passed as a parameter)?

I copied these lines from somewhere

;;* Higher Scoring of followups to myself
(add-hook 'message-sent-hook 'gnus-score-followup-article)
(add-hook 'message-sent-hook 'gnus-score-followup-thread)

These lines make followups to my emails stand out (they become a bit bold).

Check out http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_242.html

--
raj shekhar
facts: http://rajshekhar.net | opinions: http://rajshekhar.net/blog

* Re: Gather Responses
       [not found] ` <mailman.7720.1159942819.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-09  9:01   ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2006-11-09  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

>> I find that much of my time in usenet is spent looking for
>> automatically gather such responses?
>
> ;;* Higher Scoring of followups to myself
> (add-hook 'message-sent-hook 'gnus-score-followup-article)
> (add-hook 'message-sent-hook 'gnus-score-followup-thread)
>
> These lines make followups to my emails stand out (they become
> a bit bold).

But the problem is, for me, that it does that in news but as
well in mails.

Is there a possibility to restrict that behavior to the news
only?

Best regards,
  Seb

--