* Toolbars visible, even when turned off?!
@ 2005-11-15 13:44 Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-11-15 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Hi.

A day or two ago, something odd started happening when I run
Gnus/XEmacs. I've turned off toolbars in the menu
"Options/Display/Toolbars visible" - but in Gnus they are displayed
anyway.

Any ideas?

I haven't done any updating of XEmacs or my configuration recently, I
think. I've updated Gnus from CVS yesterday to see if that made a
difference, it didn't.

 No Gnus v0.4 (CVS; yesterday)
 XEmacs 21.4 (patch 17) "Jumbo Shrimp" [Lucid] (i386-debian-linux,
  Mule) of Sat May 28 2005 on penell (Debian unstable).

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Jeg har snart gennemlæst det meste af Internettet for       Adam Sjøgren
  at finde en løsning - men uden resultat..."            asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Toolbars visible, even when turned off?!
@ 2005-11-15 14:09 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-11-15 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:44:25 +0100, Adam wrote:

> A day or two ago, something odd started happening when I run
> Gnus/XEmacs. I've turned off toolbars in the menu
> "Options/Display/Toolbars visible" - but in Gnus they are displayed
> anyway.

They are only there in the *Group* buffer and when I write a new
email/news-article. In the *Summary* and *Article*-buffers, they
aren't.

Odd.

,----[ C-h v toolbar-visible-p RET ]
| `toolbar-visible-p' is a variable declared in Lisp.
|   -- loaded from "/home/mohura/packages/build-area/xemacs21-21.4.17/lisp/toolbar.elc"
|
| Value: nil
|
| Documentation:
| Whether the default toolbar is globally visible.
| This option can be customized through the options menu.
`----

Baffling.

  Best regards,

--
 "I always imagined that Cthulu would wear a tie.             Adam Sjøgren
  Instead he seems quite sporty."                        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Toolbars visible, even when turned off?!
@ 2005-11-15 16:09   ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2005-11-15 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> anyway.
>
> They are only there in the *Group* buffer and when I write a new
> email/news-article. In the *Summary* and *Article*-buffers, they
> aren't.
>
> Odd.
>
> ,----[ C-h v toolbar-visible-p RET ]
> | `toolbar-visible-p' is a variable declared in Lisp.
> |   -- loaded from "/home/mohura/packages/build-area/xemacs21-21.4.17/lisp/toolbar.elc"
> |
> | Value: nil
> |
> | Documentation:
> | Whether the default toolbar is globally visible.
> | This option can be customized through the options menu.
> `----
>
> Baffling.
>

>   Best regards,

Is gnus-group-toolbar or message-toolbar set somewhere _after_
toolbar-visible-p is loaded?  Anything lurking in a site-lisp directory -
I seem to recall that Debian sometimes sets up  unexpected things for
you, though it is a  while since I used Debian.

hth

Glyn

* Re: Toolbars visible, even when turned off?!
@ 2005-11-16  0:19 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2005-11-16  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> A day or two ago, something odd started happening when I run
> Gnus/XEmacs. I've turned off toolbars in the menu
> "Options/Display/Toolbars visible" - but in Gnus they are displayed
> anyway.

That's my act.  Gnus now fully controls the visibility of
toolbars in the group buffer, the summary buffer, and the
message buffer.  You can turn off them by:

(setq gnus-use-toolbar nil
      message-use-toolbar nil)

I made those changes so that the actual behavior might respect
the doc-strings and the description of the Info manual:

`gnus-use-toolbar'
     This variable specifies the position to display the toolbar.  If
     `nil', don't display toolbars.  If it is non-nil, it should be one
     of the symbols `default', `top', `bottom', `right', and `left'.
     `default' means to use the default toolbar, the rest mean to
     display the toolbar on the place which those names show.  The
     default is `default'.

The meaning of `message-use-toolbar' is the same.

Regards,

* Re: Toolbars visible, even when turned off?!
@ 2005-11-16  0:35   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2005-11-16  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You can turn off them by:

> (setq gnus-use-toolbar nil
>       message-use-toolbar nil)

As for `gnus-use-toolbar', customizing the value by `custom' and
pressing the `Set' button will change the visibility of toolbars
immediately.

* Re: Toolbars visible, even when turned off?!
@ 2005-11-16  1:40   ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2005-11-16  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

  >> A day or two ago, something odd started happening when I run
  >> Gnus/XEmacs. I've turned off toolbars in the menu
  >> "Options/Display/Toolbars visible" - but in Gnus they are displayed
  >> anyway.

  > That's my act.  Gnus now fully controls the visibility of
  > toolbars in the group buffer, the summary buffer, and the
  > message buffer.

[...]

  > `gnus-use-toolbar'
  >      This variable specifies the position to display the toolbar.  If
  >      `nil', don't display toolbars.  If it is non-nil, it should be one
  >      of the symbols `default', `top', `bottom', `right', and `left'.
  >      `default' means to use the default toolbar, the rest mean to
  >      display the toolbar on the place which those names show.  The
  >      default is `default'.

IMO, this is bad.  Gnus should get the default settings for these
variables from (S)XEmacs, instead of overriding the user's global
settings.

,----
| (if toolbar-visible-p
|     (default-toolbar-position)
|   nil)
`----

Would probably do it.  Although I'm not sure what would or should
happen if the user wanted to display multiple toolbars.[1]

Footnotes:
[1]  (S)XEmacs can display up to 4 separate toolbars in a single frame
     (one along each edge) at the same time.

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: A94B3003>---|
|                   Te audire no possum.                   |

* Re: Toolbars visible, even when turned off?!
@ 2005-11-16  4:37     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2005-11-16  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> * Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> `gnus-use-toolbar'
>>      This variable specifies the position to display the toolbar.  If
>>      `nil', don't display toolbars.  If it is non-nil, it should be one
>>      of the symbols `default', `top', `bottom', `right', and `left'.
>>      `default' means to use the default toolbar, the rest mean to
>>      display the toolbar on the place which those names show.  The
>>      default is `default'.

> IMO, this is bad.

I agree.  Currently, the *default* toolbars in the Gnus buffers
are not the same as the default toolbars of which the visibility
and the position should be customizable by the menu bar.

> Gnus should get the default settings for these
> variables from (S)XEmacs, instead of overriding the user's global
> settings.

> ,----
>| (if toolbar-visible-p
>|     (default-toolbar-position)
>|   nil)
> `----

> Would probably do it.  Although I'm not sure what would or should
> happen if the user wanted to display multiple toolbars.[1]

> Footnotes:
> [1]  (S)XEmacs can display up to 4 separate toolbars in a single frame
>      (one along each edge) at the same time.

Gnus doesn't seem to need to display two or more toolbars in one
frame.  The main problem is how to make the *default* toolbars
in the Gnus buffers follow change of the default toolbars.  Or,
how to apply the change done by the menu bar to the *default*
toolbars.  I tried to improve the code again and again, but
haven't succeeded yet.  Though the present code is a result of
the compromise, it's much better than the former one, which just
didn't work.  I welcome any person who improves it further.

(I can also vote instead to making Gnus use only the default
toolbars.)

* Re: Toolbars visible, even when turned off?!
@ 2005-11-16 10:53   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-11-16 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:19:41 +0900, Katsumi wrote:

>> I've turned off toolbars in the menu "Options/Display/Toolbars
>> visible" - but in Gnus they are displayed anyway.

> That's my act.  Gnus now fully controls the visibility of
> toolbars in the group buffer, the summary buffer, and the
> message buffer.  You can turn off them by:

> (setq gnus-use-toolbar nil
>       message-use-toolbar nil)

Ah, okay.

(I'm not sure I understand why they can't "be nil automatically" when
toolbar-display-p is nil, but adding the above is a fully adequate
work-around for me.)

  Thanks!

    Adam

--
 "Last year I was very tired."                                Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk