From: Klaus Uhl <news@u-h-l.de>
Subject: Re: Mail storage format
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 16:16:52 +0100	[thread overview]

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> I'm using nnml.  What's the default format for that?  mbox or
> something else?  Having a look through the ~/Mail directory tree
> wasn't edifying (e.g.m no .mbox or other file extensions).

I'm afraid "Mail Spool" (aka nnml) this is not the best choice if you
want to use your mailboxes with an other program. From the Gnus manual:

Mail Spool

The "nnml" spool mail format isn't compatible with any other known
format.  It should be used with some caution.

   If you use this back end, Gnus will split all incoming mail into
files, one file for each mail, and put the articles into the
corresponding directories under the directory specified by the
`nnml-directory' variable.  The default value is `~/Mail/'.

Perhaps you would be better off when you switched to either nnmaildir or
nnfolder.

- Klaus

--

                 God is real ...