From: Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de>
Subject: Re: is there a default setting for viewing all, reda and unread messages?
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:58:03 +0100	[thread overview]

leo <leo@bella.local> writes:

> now i know that in gnus i can get a newgroup summary buffer with read
> and unread messages via C-u [Ret].
>
> but can i somehow make this behaviour default? (so that just [Ret] or
> in the summary M-g does the job.)

Excuse me if I say so, but maybe it is easier to adjust your working
habits to Gnus.  (Gnus is not for everyone; it treats mail like news
and that is both a strength and a weakness.)  Please don't be
offended; just try it for a while and see if I'm right.

For example, setting gnus-fetch-old-headers to t means that Gnus will
show you old articles from the threads that have new articles.  I use
this.  This way, I get the important old messages, but not the ones
I'm not interested in.

If there is a message that I consider important, I hit the `u' key (or
`!' which does the same thing).

If, after trying this, you still think that this behavior is not good,
then you can tell Gnus to hit `u' for you on messages that you read.
How does that sound?

You can also frob a group parameter `display' and set it to `all', I
think.  That will do what you think it does.

Kai