* Re: Some functions for curmudgeons
       [not found] ` <m3isqwjri2.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>
@ 2003-06-24  7:41   ` Jesse F. Hughes
From: Jesse F. Hughes @ 2003-06-24  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@quimbies.gnus.org> writes:

> jesseh@cs.kun.nl (Jesse F. Hughes) writes:
>
>> Now, here's the problem: Lots of folks on Usenet are sloppy and lazy
>> writers, relying on stupid smiley faces in place of actual humor and
>> using the same hackneyed phrases so often that acronyms are
>> sufficient. Very annoying.
>
> Heh!!!!  Funny.  :-)

I knew that my rules would lower the score some of the most
knowledgeable posters on gnu.emacs.gnus, but just to show how
forgiving I am:

  You lost 1 point for the smiley.

  The excessive use of exclamation points didn't cost anything.  I am
so magnanimous that I allow four in a row before scoring lower.

Not too bad.

Some time, I will write a function that scores a poster down if the
amount of quoted material vastly exceeds the amount of new material.
Not that your reply above counts in this respect --  I'm thinking of
people that quote 100 lines to write "me too".

Also, maybe I should lower top-posters, too.

This is why I love Gnus.  You can satisfy some of the frustrations of
an impotent peon in the modern world by pretending you have a modicum
of power in the form of retributive scoring functions.  What other
news readers offer such therapeutic value?

--
"I don't know why I live in a world with so many supposed
mathematicians who are all so dumb AND rude.  Why oh why couldn't

* Re: Some functions for curmudgeons
@ 2003-06-24  8:00     ` Hanak David
From: Hanak David @ 2003-06-24  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jesse F. Hughes

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Jesse F. Hughes wrote:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@quimbies.gnus.org> writes:
>>[...]
>> Heh!!!!  Funny.  :-)
>[...]
>  You lost 1 point for the smiley.
>[...]
> --
> "I don't know why I live in a world with so many supposed
> mathematicians who are all so dumb AND rude.  Why oh why couldn't
> someone like Gauss or Dedekind still be around?  Shoot, I'd even take
> someone like Hardy at this point." -- James S Harris compromises

Maybe you should consider lowering the score of those who use uninformative
((trying to be) funny) quotes as signatures instead of informative facts.
Now I feel like using a grinning smiley here, but I'll refrain.

David

* Re: Some functions for curmudgeons
@ 2003-06-24  9:10       ` Jesse F. Hughes
From: Jesse F. Hughes @ 2003-06-24  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hanak David <dhanak@inf.bme.hu> writes:

>> "I don't know why I live in a world with so many supposed
>> mathematicians who are all so dumb AND rude.  Why oh why couldn't
>> someone like Gauss or Dedekind still be around?  Shoot, I'd even take
>> someone like Hardy at this point." -- James S Harris compromises
>
> Maybe you should consider lowering the score of those who use
> uninformative ((trying to be) funny) quotes as signatures instead of
> informative facts.

Maybe, but expressing self-loathing is somehow less satisfying than
denigrating others.

Besides, I can't think of any informative facts that (1) I want to
include in every post and (2) aren't available in the headers.

Maybe I could set up a script to select a single sentence from my
dissertation[1] with each post.  But, I'm sure the average reader would
prefer to read James Harris's insightful writing rather than my dull
LaTeX source file.

Footnotes:
[1]  The source on my computer with the most facts in a text file.
Not, to be sure, the most interesting reading on my computer.  In
fact, most of the binary files are more exciting than my dissertation.

--
"If you see math knowledge as a tool--as a hammer--with which
you can attack other people then ... you defeat rational discourse."