Hi again, So, summing up what we have so far (patch attached), the effect of these changes is to make the errors go away, but i'm not sure if the behaviour is expected: with the patch applied, A T will "work" for me in an nnselect group, with the caveat that, when gnus-refer-thread-use-search is t (or when calling gnus-refer-thread with C-u otherwise), the result is limited to the email already present in the nnselect group... that might be expected, in which case i think the patch can be applied (it's basically what you already propose, Eric, except it constructs the query as an alist). Cheers, jao -- There are two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors.