Unnamed repository; edit this file 'description' to name the repository.
* Gnus signs email two times
@ 2020-01-22 23:13 Christoph Groth
From: Christoph Groth @ 2020-01-22 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I’ve been signing all my outgoing email for many years.  Not sure why,
since no one ever verifies this...

Anyway, since I got an OpenPGP keycard, I noticed that Gnus actually
performs two signing operations on each outgoing message.  It first
signs and sends out the message, and then it signs the copy to be saved
locally.

Are things supposed to be like this, or is this a bug... somewhere (not
necessarily in Gnus)?

Cheers
Christoph

PS

My setup looks something like this

(defun my-gnus-message-setup ()
  ;; Sign all messages by default with the appropriate method.
  ;; gnus-summary-handle-replysign ignores mml-secure-method and runs later.  It
  ;; will overrule whatever is done here.  As only gnus-message-replyencrypt is
  ;; t (gnus-message-replysign is nil), this will only happen if we reply to an
  ;; encrypted PGP message.
  (make-local-variable 'mml-secure-method)
  (setq mml-secure-method (if (string-match "me@work\\.com"
                                            (message-fetch-field "from"))
                              "smime" "pgpmime"))
  (mml-secure-message-sign))
(add-hook 'gnus-message-setup-hook 'my-gnus-message-setup)

(require 'epg-config)
(setq mml2015-encrypt-to-self t
      mml2015-always-trust nil
      mml2015-sign-with-sender t

      mm-verify-option 'always
      mm-decrypt-option 'always

      epg-debug t ;;  then read the *epg-debug*" buffer
      mml-smime-use 'epg)

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Gnus signs email two times
@ 2020-02-19 14:12 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-02-19 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Groth; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:

> I’ve been signing all my outgoing email for many years.  Not sure why,
> since no one ever verifies this...
>
> Anyway, since I got an OpenPGP keycard, I noticed that Gnus actually
> performs two signing operations on each outgoing message.  It first
> signs and sends out the message, and then it signs the copy to be saved
> locally.

Is this with Emacs 27?  I seem to recall there being some work done in
this area over the past year...

* Re: Gnus signs email two times
@ 2020-02-19 15:31   ` Christoph Groth
From: Christoph Groth @ 2020-02-19 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)