* Connection to send e-mail goes wrong
@ 2010-03-05 12:11 Cecil Westerhof
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-03-05 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I have the following in my .gnus:
    (setq gnus-message-archive-group
          '((if (message-news-p)
            "INBOX.Verzonden.misc-news"
          (concat "INBOX.Verzonden." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))

In this way every send e-mail (not newsgroup message, maybe I should do
that also) is archived pro month. Until recently my only problem was
that I had to add the new mailbox every month to my installation.

But that has changed. In my group buffer I have for example:
         *:*nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-03
         0: nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-01

The second one is no problem. The first one looks the same, but is not.
When trying to open it, I see in *Messages*:
    Opening nnimap server on e-mail+nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-03...
    Denied server nnimap+e-mail+nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-03
    Opening nnimap server on e-mail+nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-03...failed

While when I open 2010-01 I get:
    Retrieving newsgroup: nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-01...
    nnimap: Updating info for nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-01...done
    Fetching headers for nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-01...done

So for one reason or another I get extra information appended to the new
folders. Anyone an idea what is happening and what to do against it?

Could a solution be changing active and local in agent.lib? If so: how?
Where are those files documented?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Connection to send e-mail goes wrong
@ 2010-03-05 13:22 ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-03-05 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> I have the following in my .gnus:
>     (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>           '((if (message-news-p)
>             "INBOX.Verzonden.misc-news"
>           (concat "INBOX.Verzonden." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))
>
> In this way every send e-mail (not newsgroup message, maybe I should do
> that also) is archived pro month. Until recently my only problem was
> that I had to add the new mailbox every month to my installation.
>
> But that has changed. In my group buffer I have for example:
>          *:*nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-03
>          0: nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-01
>
> The second one is no problem. The first one looks the same, but is not.
> When trying to open it, I see in *Messages*:
>     Opening nnimap server on e-mail+nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-03...
>     Denied server nnimap+e-mail+nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-03
>     Opening nnimap server on e-mail+nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-03...failed
>
> While when I open 2010-01 I get:
>     Retrieving newsgroup: nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-01...
>     nnimap: Updating info for nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-01...done
>     Fetching headers for nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-01...done
>
> So for one reason or another I get extra information appended to the new
> folders. Anyone an idea what is happening and what to do against it?

I do not know if it is interesting, but when looking into my .newsrc.eld
I see:
    ("nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-03" 3 nil nil (nnimap "e-mail" (nnimap-address "IP-NUMBER")))
    ("nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-01" 3 ((1 . 97)) ((seen (1 . 97))) "nnimap:e-mail" ((uidvalidity . "1262362138")))

--

@ 2010-03-08 11:05 ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2010-03-08 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On  5 Mar 2010, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> I have the following in my .gnus:
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
> '((if (message-news-p)
> "INBOX.Verzonden.misc-news"
> (concat "INBOX.Verzonden." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))
>
> In this way every send e-mail (not newsgroup message, maybe I should do
> that also) is archived pro month. Until recently my only problem was
> that I had to add the new mailbox every month to my installation.
>
> But that has changed. In my group buffer I have for example:
> *:*nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-03
> 0: nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-01

I have the same snippet of code in my setup and it works like
advertised.

However, in my case, once a month, I need to manually add the imap
sent-mail-newMonth mailbox to my group buffer. (by pressing ^ in the
group buffer, selecting the imap server and subscribing to the mail
folder).

Apparently you managed to automate adding this new mailfolder to your
group buffer. I'm interested in that solution, however, I wonder if your
trouble (above) also is caused by that very same trick?

--
Qualquer tecnologia suficientemente avançada é indistinguivel da mágica.
                -- Arthur Clarke, escritor inglês

* Re: Connection to send e-mail goes wrong
@ 2010-03-09  9:44   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-03-09  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs-nospam-@hillenius.net> writes:

> On  5 Mar 2010, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>
>> I have the following in my .gnus:
>> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>> '((if (message-news-p)
>> "INBOX.Verzonden.misc-news"
>> (concat "INBOX.Verzonden." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))
>>
>> In this way every send e-mail (not newsgroup message, maybe I should do
>> that also) is archived pro month. Until recently my only problem was
>> that I had to add the new mailbox every month to my installation.
>>
>> But that has changed. In my group buffer I have for example:
>> *:*nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-03
>> 0: nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-01
>

> I have the same snippet of code in my setup and it works like
> advertised.
>
> However, in my case, once a month, I need to manually add the imap
> sent-mail-newMonth mailbox to my group buffer. (by pressing ^ in the
> group buffer, selecting the imap server and subscribing to the mail
> folder).
>
> Apparently you managed to automate adding this new mailfolder to your
> group buffer. I'm interested in that solution, however, I wonder if your
> trouble (above) also is caused by that very same trick?

No, that is what I like to do, but at the moment I have to manually add
the folder. In the past this was no problem, but at the moment when I
add the folder as you describe, it is added in a wrong way. And because
of this I can not add them anymore, which is very annoying.

--

@ 2010-03-10  9:01 ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-03-10  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> I have the following in my .gnus:
>     (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>           '((if (message-news-p)
>             "INBOX.Verzonden.misc-news"
>           (concat "INBOX.Verzonden." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))
>
> In this way every send e-mail (not newsgroup message, maybe I should do
> that also) is archived pro month. Until recently my only problem was
> that I had to add the new mailbox every month to my installation.
>
> But that has changed. In my group buffer I have for example:
>          *:*nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-03
>          0: nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-01
>
> The second one is no problem. The first one looks the same, but is not.
> When trying to open it, I see in *Messages*:
>     Opening nnimap server on e-mail+nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-03...
>     Denied server nnimap+e-mail+nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-03
>     Opening nnimap server on e-mail+nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-03...failed
>
> While when I open 2010-01 I get:
>     Retrieving newsgroup: nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-01...
>     nnimap: Updating info for nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-01...done
>     Fetching headers for nnimap+e-mail:INBOX.Verzonden.2010-01...done
>
> So for one reason or another I get extra information appended to the new
> folders. Anyone an idea what is happening and what to do against it?

Problem solved. The server it was on was agentized. When removing this
it works. I already did this before, but it is 'remembered'. Only when
quiting Emacs and Gnus does have removing agent from the server effect.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer