* Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-29 18:09 SINNER
From: SINNER @ 2006-12-29 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

[sorry nsr, thought I'd bring the emacs pros in on this one]

I am using:

Ubuntu 6.06
emacs 21.4.1
No Gnus V0.4

emacs starts just fine.

after I 'M-x gnus' it loads the active file and then gets new news, during
this time the system goes to 80%> CPU usage for about 10 minutes until
finally putting me at the group buffer.

I found that in ~/News/marks it seems to be duplicating my leafnode spool
which is on this same machine and located in /var/spool/news that is a lot
of data which I subsequently removed and have not started gnus since.

slrn/tin/pan et al have no issues on the same box for the same leafnode
server.

Once I am at the group buffer I can move around just fine with no delays
pressing 'g' duplicates the behavior.

My ~/.gnus.el is very small:

(setq user-mail-address "SINNER@gates_of_hell.invalid")
(setq user-full-name "SINNER")
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "localhost"))

I am using NNTP instead of spool per the manual reccomendation WRT
leafnode.

Will gladly provide any missing info (once I get home). I just wanted to
add another reader to my arsonal but this one has not been playing nice. I
am using precomplied .deb packages that were installed via apt-get.

I have not tried to directly connect to anyone of my 'foreign' servers
using emacs/gnus.

any suggestions appreciated.

--
David

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-29 18:51 ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2006-12-29 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

SINNER <arcade.master@gmail.com> writes:

> after I 'M-x gnus' it loads the active file and then gets new news, during
> this time the system goes to 80%> CPU usage for about 10 minutes until
> finally putting me at the group buffer.

Try adding this to your .gnus

(setq   gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil
	gnus-read-active-file nil
	gnus-nov-is-evil nil)

See section 1.10 of the Gnus manual

atb

Glyn

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-29 20:30   ` SINNER
From: SINNER @ 2006-12-29 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Glyn Millington wrote in news.software.readers:
> SINNER <arcade.master@gmail.com> writes:

Hey Glyn, I am home now.

>> after I 'M-x gnus' it loads the active file and then gets new news, during
>> this time the system goes to 80%> CPU usage for about 10 minutes until
>> finally putting me at the group buffer.

> Try adding this to your .gnus

> (setq   gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil
> 	gnus-read-active-file nil
> 	gnus-nov-is-evil nil)

> See section 1.10 of the Gnus manual

Done, but I think my removal of ~/News/marks <snipped above> is still a
problem. Now on startup I get bootstrapping... and it is creating a huge
archive in the above directory which is redundant on this box.  Do I
have to have that occur?

I didn't let the process complete. CPU up to 100% and it would have been
15 to 20 minutes of that before it became usable again and only then
could I really test if your above suggestion would work.

Thanks for that and anything else you can provide.

--
David
"There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-29 20:46     ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-12-29 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> writes:

> * Glyn Millington wrote in news.software.readers:
>> SINNER <arcade.master@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hey Glyn, I am home now.
>
>>> after I 'M-x gnus' it loads the active file and then gets new news, during
>>> this time the system goes to 80%> CPU usage for about 10 minutes until
>>> finally putting me at the group buffer.
>
>> Try adding this to your .gnus
>
>> (setq   gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil
>> 	gnus-read-active-file nil
>> 	gnus-nov-is-evil nil)
>
>> See section 1.10 of the Gnus manual
>
> Done, but I think my removal of ~/News/marks <snipped above> is still

Dont remove Marks - that is where gnus stores its "position data" I think.

But all is not lost : you can ignore it too -

http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_185.html

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-29 21:30       ` SINNER
From: SINNER @ 2006-12-29 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Hadron Quark wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:
> SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> writes:

[...]

>> Done, but I think my removal of ~/News/marks <snipped above> is still

> Dont remove Marks - that is where gnus stores its "position data" I think.

it is recreating the entire Usenet hierarchy in
~News/marks/localhost/*

Here is a snippet of the contents:

uk         uq            uunet     vegas    wales          world     yu
ukc        ural          uva       verio    wanadoo        worldnet  yuba
ukonline   us            uvic      vgc      wanadoouk      wpg       z-
ukr        usask         uvm       vic      wash           wpi       za
ukrainet   usa-today     uw        video    weblogic       wri       zen

unacceptable, it still happens even with the below changes. I have a
local spool and want to use it but for some reason it is not compatible
with leafnode. I use leafnode2 <see headers> if that matters.

[03:09 PM][J:0][sinner@~]$ cat .gnus.el
(setq user-mail-address "SINNER@gates_of_hell.invalid")
(setq user-full-name "SINNER")

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "localhost"))

(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil
      gnus-read-active-file nil
      gnus-nov-is-evil nil)

(setq nnfolder-marks-is-evil 1)
tried above with nil which is the default, no change.

No change, still get the Bootstrapping ... message and the recreation of
the above.

Any other thoughts?
--
David
McGowan's Madison Avenue Axiom:

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-29 21:58         ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2006-12-29 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29 Dec 2006, 99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid wrote:

> it is recreating the entire Usenet hierarchy in
> ~News/marks/localhost/*

Did you look in the directories? They only contain a .marks file.

> ...  uk uq uunet vegas wales world yu ukc ural uva verio wanadoo
> worldnet yuba ukonline us uvic vgc wanadoouk wpg z- ukr usask uvm vic
> wash wpi za ukrainet usa-today uw video weblogic wri zen ...

Are you subscribed to all these groups?

> I have a local spool and want to use it but for some reason it is not
> compatible with leafnode. I use leafnode2 <see headers> if that
> matters.

There is no problem with GNUS and Leafnode. I have been using this combo
for years.

Charles

--
printk("%s: confused, missing data\n", drive->name);
        linux-2.6.6/drivers/ide/ide-cd.c

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-29 22:40           ` SINNER
From: SINNER @ 2006-12-29 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Charles philip Chan wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:
> On 29 Dec 2006, 99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid wrote:

>> it is recreating the entire Usenet hierarchy in
>> ~News/marks/localhost/*

> Did you look in the directories? They only contain a .marks file.

No, but why would it mark what is not necessary?

>> ...  uk uq uunet vegas wales world yu ukc ural uva verio wanadoo
>> worldnet yuba ukonline us uvic vgc wanadoouk wpg z- ukr usask uvm vic
>> wash wpi za ukrainet usa-today uw video weblogic wri zen ...

> Are you subscribed to all these groups?

absolutley not.

[04:34 PM][J:0][sinner@~]$ cat .newsrc | grep ':'
alt.comp.os.linux: 1-64
alt.games.mame: 1-902,1598,1600
alt.os.linux: 1-1081,1433,2586,2588,2594-2595,2605-2606
alt.os.linux.debian: 1-213
alt.os.linux.ubuntu: 1-1231
alt.smokers.cigars: 1-1553
news.software.readers: 1-3000,3090-3092

>> I have a local spool and want to use it but for some reason it is not
>> compatible with leafnode. I use leafnode2 <see headers> if that
>> matters.

> There is no problem with GNUS and Leafnode. I have been using this combo
> for years.

Do you use the spool or nntp setting in .gnus.el?

--
David
Do you know Montana?

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-29 22:58             ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2006-12-29 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29 Dec 2006, 99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid wrote:

> No, but why would it mark what is not necessary?

No, it should only create the hierachy and .marks files for the groups
you are subscribe to.

> absolutley not.
>
> [04:34 PM][J:0][sinner@~]$ cat .newsrc | grep ':'
> alt.comp.os.linux: 1-64
> alt.games.mame: 1-902,1598,1600
> alt.os.linux: 1-1081,1433,2586,2588,2594-2595,2605-2606
> alt.os.linux.debian: 1-213
> alt.os.linux.ubuntu: 1-1231
> alt.smokers.cigars: 1-1553
> news.software.readers: 1-3000,3090-3092

Strange.

> Do you use the spool or nntp setting in .gnus.el?

nntp.

Can you post all your Gnus settings to the group?

Charles

--
    if (argc > 1 && strcmp(argv[1], "-advice") == 0) {
	printf("Don't Panic!\n");

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30  0:13   ` Chunhua Li
From: Chunhua Li @ 2006-12-30  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have experienced similar problem. However, when I put these three lines
into .gnus.el

(setq   gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil
	gnus-read-active-file nil
	gnus-nov-is-evil nil)

emacs reports an error in minibuffer, saying "Trying to require a
method that doesn't exist"

Any idea?

--
Best regards,
Chunhua Li

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30  0:20               ` SINNER
From: SINNER @ 2006-12-30  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Charles philip Chan wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:
> On 29 Dec 2006, 99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid wrote:

>> No, but why would it mark what is not necessary?

> No, it should only create the hierachy and .marks files for the groups
> you are subscribe to.

>> absolutley not.

>> [04:34 PM][J:0][sinner@~]$ cat .newsrc | grep ':'
>> alt.comp.os.linux: 1-64
>> alt.games.mame: 1-902,1598,1600
>> alt.os.linux: 1-1081,1433,2586,2588,2594-2595,2605-2606
>> alt.os.linux.debian: 1-213
>> alt.os.linux.ubuntu: 1-1231
>> alt.smokers.cigars: 1-1553
>> news.software.readers: 1-3000,3090-3092

> Strange.

Tell me about it :)

>> Do you use the spool or nntp setting in .gnus.el?

> nntp.

> Can you post all your Gnus settings to the group?

(setq user-mail-address "SINNER@gates_of_hell.invalid")
(setq user-full-name "SINNER")

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "localhost"))

(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil
      gnus-read-active-file nil
      gnus-nov-is-evil nil)

(setq nnfolder-marks-is-evil 1)

--
David
A newspaper is a circulating library with high blood pressure.
		-- Arthure "Bugs" Baer

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30  4:12                 ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-12-30  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> writes:

> * Charles philip Chan wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:
>> On 29 Dec 2006, 99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid wrote:
>
>>> No, but why would it mark what is not necessary?
>
>> No, it should only create the hierachy and .marks files for the groups
>> you are subscribe to.
>
>>> absolutley not.
>
>>> [04:34 PM][J:0][sinner@~]$ cat .newsrc | grep ':'
>>> alt.comp.os.linux: 1-64
>>> alt.games.mame: 1-902,1598,1600
>>> alt.os.linux: 1-1081,1433,2586,2588,2594-2595,2605-2606
>>> alt.os.linux.debian: 1-213
>>> alt.os.linux.ubuntu: 1-1231
>>> alt.smokers.cigars: 1-1553
>>> news.software.readers: 1-3000,3090-3092
>
>> Strange.
>
> Tell me about it :)
>
>>> Do you use the spool or nntp setting in .gnus.el?
>
>> nntp.
>
>> Can you post all your Gnus settings to the group?
>
> (setq user-mail-address "SINNER@gates_of_hell.invalid")
> (setq user-full-name "SINNER")
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "localhost"))
>
> (setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil
>       gnus-read-active-file nil
>       gnus-nov-is-evil nil)
>
> (setq nnfolder-marks-is-evil 1)

The wonders of Linux setups :-;

Im a bit pissed off that this is happening because it might put you off
the best newsreader & email client in the history of the world.

Wish I could help more.

I had lots of issues initially when I set up slrn with leafnode but it
all "just worked" with gnus. Doh! Damn I said it :-;

Dont worry, someone will find the solution.

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30  6:59             ` Stepan Golosunov
From: Stepan Golosunov @ 2006-12-30  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> writes:

> * Charles philip Chan wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:
>> On 29 Dec 2006, 99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid wrote:
>
>>> it is recreating the entire Usenet hierarchy in
>>> ~News/marks/localhost/*
>
>> Did you look in the directories? They only contain a .marks file.
>
> No, but why would it mark what is not necessary?
>
>>> ...  uk uq uunet vegas wales world yu ukc ural uva verio wanadoo
>>> worldnet yuba ukonline us uvic vgc wanadoouk wpg z- ukr usask uvm vic
>>> wash wpi za ukrainet usa-today uw video weblogic wri zen ...
>
>> Are you subscribed to all these groups?
>
> absolutley not.
>
> [04:34 PM][J:0][sinner@~]$ cat .newsrc | grep ':'
> alt.comp.os.linux: 1-64
> alt.games.mame: 1-902,1598,1600
> alt.os.linux: 1-1081,1433,2586,2588,2594-2595,2605-2606
> alt.os.linux.debian: 1-213
> alt.os.linux.ubuntu: 1-1231
> alt.smokers.cigars: 1-1553
> news.software.readers: 1-3000,3090-3092

And without grep there are many more lines? Gnus is reading these
groups too. You should kill all groups you are not going to read.

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30 15:10               ` SINNER
From: SINNER @ 2006-12-30 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Stepan Golosunov wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:
> SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> writes:

>> * Charles philip Chan wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:

>>> Did you look in the directories? They only contain a .marks file.

>> No, but why would it mark what is not necessary?

>>> Are you subscribed to all these groups?

>> absolutley not.

>> [04:34 PM][J:0][sinner@~]$ cat .newsrc | grep ':'
>> alt.comp.os.linux: 1-64
>> alt.games.mame: 1-902,1598,1600
>> alt.os.linux: 1-1081,1433,2586,2588,2594-2595,2605-2606
>> alt.os.linux.debian: 1-213
>> alt.os.linux.ubuntu: 1-1231
>> alt.smokers.cigars: 1-1553
>> news.software.readers: 1-3000,3090-3092

> And without grep there are many more lines? Gnus is reading these
> groups too.

Yes, as any normal newsrc, it contains every possible group on the
server.

> You should kill all groups you are not going to read.

But that isnt what I should have to do is it? It sounds like an easy
cure for the symptoms but it dosent sound like the cure.

--
David
Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards.

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30 15:57                 ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2006-12-30 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 Dec 2006, 99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid wrote:

> Yes, as any normal newsrc, it contains every possible group on the
> server.

My .newsrc only contains the groups that I am subscribed to. Have you
try deleting it and see what happens?

> But that isnt what I should have to do is it? It sounds like an easy
> cure for the symptoms but it dosent sound like the cure.

What groups are showing in your group buffer when you enter GNUS?

Charles

--
"On the Internet, no one knows you're using Windows NT"
(Submitted by Ramiro Estrugo, restrugo@fateware.com)

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30 16:00                   ` SINNER
From: SINNER @ 2006-12-30 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Hadron Quark wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:
> SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> writes:

[...]

> The wonders of Linux setups :-;

> Im a bit pissed off that this is happening because it might put you off
> the best newsreader & email client in the history of the world.

> Wish I could help more.

Thanks for hanging with me thus far :)

> I had lots of issues initially when I set up slrn with leafnode but it
> all "just worked" with gnus. Doh! Damn I said it :-;

Heh! Exact opposite for me.

> Dont worry, someone will find the solution.

I will hang as long as I continue to get help, its become a challange.
Looking through the manual and seeing some really nice screenshots has
me really wanting to play with this so I am not going anywhere soon.

--
David
Graduate students and most professors are no smarter than undergrads.

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30 16:10                   ` SINNER
From: SINNER @ 2006-12-30 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Charles philip Chan wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:
> On 30 Dec 2006, 99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid wrote:

>> Yes, as any normal newsrc, it contains every possible group on the
>> server.

> My .newsrc only contains the groups that I am subscribed to. Have you
> try deleting it and see what happens?

will try now.

>> But that isnt what I should have to do is it? It sounds like an easy
>> cure for the symptoms but it dosent sound like the cure.

> What groups are showing in your group buffer when you enter GNUS?

The ones shown in my earlier grep on the newsrc (up thread)

--
David
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they become soggy and hard to

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30 16:30                   ` SINNER
From: SINNER @ 2006-12-30 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Charles philip Chan wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:
> On 30 Dec 2006, 99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid wrote:

>> Yes, as any normal newsrc, it contains every possible group on the
>> server.

> My .newsrc only contains the groups that I am subscribed to. Have you
> try deleting it and see what happens?

[...]

Success!

$ grep ':' .newsrc > .gnusrc
<tin uses the standard .newsrc so I kept it>

added to ~.gnus.el:
(setq gnus-startup-file "~/.gnusrc")

And now instant startup.

Thanks to all!
--
David
Q:	Why do firemen wear red suspenders?

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30 16:48                     ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2006-12-30 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 Dec 2006, 99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid wrote:

> Success!

Glad that you got it working.

> Thanks to all!

No problem.

Charles

--
if (user_specified)
    /* Didn't work, but the user is convinced this is the

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30 16:50     ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2006-12-30 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29 Dec 2006, chunhua8@ntlworld.com wrote:

> emacs reports an error in minibuffer, saying "Trying to require a
> method that doesn't exist"

Turn on "Enter debug on Error" and post the back trace.

Charles

--

@ 2006-12-30 16:54                   ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2006-12-30 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29 Dec 2006, hadronquark@gmail.com wrote:

> The wonders of Linux setups :-;

May be it is advisable to consult:

    M-x phases-of-moon

before doing any setup. :-)

Charles

--
printk("VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. "
        "Self-destruct in 5 seconds.  Have a nice day...\n");

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30 17:03                 ` Stepan Golosunov
From: Stepan Golosunov @ 2006-12-30 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> writes:
>> And without grep there are many more lines? Gnus is reading these
>> groups too.
>
> Yes, as any normal newsrc, it contains every possible group on the
> server.
>
>> You should kill all groups you are not going to read.
>
> But that isnt what I should have to do is it? It sounds like an easy
> cure for the symptoms but it dosent sound like the cure.

It is the cure. Gnus reads all subscribed and unsubscribed groups but
doesn't read killed and zombie groups. info gnus on node "Subscription
Commands" suggests that S C-k on level 7 does the job. (Node "Group
Levels" has more information.)

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30 17:32                     ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-12-30 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> writes:

> * Charles philip Chan wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:
>> On 30 Dec 2006, 99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid wrote:
>
>>> Yes, as any normal newsrc, it contains every possible group on the
>>> server.
>
>> My .newsrc only contains the groups that I am subscribed to. Have you
>> try deleting it and see what happens?
>
> [...]
>
> Success!
>
> $ grep ':' .newsrc > .gnusrc
> <tin uses the standard .newsrc so I kept it>
>
> added to ~.gnus.el:
> (setq gnus-startup-file "~/.gnusrc")
>
> And now instant startup.
>
> Thanks to all!

Woohoo!

You'll be programming Lisp before you know it :-;

And do, do consider integrating your email too - it makes it so much
nicer to have it all in one program. Same tools, keystrokes etc. I use
maildir format backend with procmail & fetchmail.

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30 18:20                   ` SINNER
From: SINNER @ 2006-12-30 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Stepan Golosunov wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:
> SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> writes:
>>> And without grep there are many more lines? Gnus is reading these
>>> groups too.

>> Yes, as any normal newsrc, it contains every possible group on the
>> server.

>>> You should kill all groups you are not going to read.

>> But that isnt what I should have to do is it? It sounds like an easy
>> cure for the symptoms but it dosent sound like the cure.

> It is the cure. Gnus reads all subscribed and unsubscribed groups but
> doesn't read killed and zombie groups. info gnus on node "Subscription
> Commands" suggests that S C-k on level 7 does the job. (Node "Group
> Levels" has more information.)

Cool, thanks for the pointer.

--
David
You will be attacked by a beast who has the body of a wolf, the tail of

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30 19:00                       ` SINNER
From: SINNER @ 2006-12-30 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Hadron Quark wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:
> SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> writes:

>> * Charles philip Chan wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:

>>> My .newsrc only contains the groups that I am subscribed to. Have you
>>> try deleting it and see what happens?

>> [...]

>> Success!

>> $ grep ':' .newsrc > .gnusrc
>> <tin uses the standard .newsrc so I kept it>

>> added to ~.gnus.el:
>> (setq gnus-startup-file "~/.gnusrc")

>> And now instant startup.

>> Thanks to all!

> Woohoo!

> You'll be programming Lisp before you know it :-;

Baby steps, killer ;)

> And do, do consider integrating your email too - it makes it so much
> nicer to have it all in one program. Same tools, keystrokes etc. I use
> maildir format backend with procmail & fetchmail.

I currently only have a gmail/yahoo account so I dont do pop/smtp ATM.
At one time I did have procmail getting my gmail stuff but I lost all
the articles I saved that had me running and I havent been motivated
enough to bother looking again as web email is sufficent for my needs at
the moment.

I will keep it as a todo though.
--
David
  We are not anticipating any emergencies.

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30 19:31         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-12-30 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

SINNER wrote:

> it is recreating the entire Usenet hierarchy in ~News/marks/localhost/*
>
> Here is a snippet of the contents:
> uk         uq            uunet     vegas    wales          world     yu
[...]
> (setq nnfolder-marks-is-evil 1)

You need `nntp-marks-is-evil' instead of `nnfolder-marks-is-evil' as
described in the list of new features:

,----[ (info "(gnus)No Gnus") / GNUS-NEWS ]
| New features in No Gnus:
| [...]
|
|    * Changes in back ends
|
|         * The nntp back end stores article marks in `~/News/marks'.
|
|           The directory can be changed using the (customizable) variable
|           `nntp-marks-directory', and marks can be disabled using the
|           (back end) variable `nntp-marks-is-evil'.  The advantage of
|           this is that you can copy `~/News/marks' (using rsync, scp or
|           whatever) to another Gnus installation, and it will realize
|           what articles you have read and marked.  The data in
|           `~/News/marks' has priority over the same data in
|           `~/.newsrc.eld'.
`----

BTW, as a new Gnus user you'd better use a release version instead of
(outdated) development code:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Gnus Versions") ]
|    If you happen upon a version of Gnus that has a prefixed name -
| "(ding) Gnus", "September Gnus", "Red Gnus", "Quassia Gnus",
| "Pterodactyl Gnus", "Oort Gnus", "No Gnus" - don't panic.  Don't let it
| know that you're frightened.  Back away.  Slowly.  Whatever you do,
| don't run.  Walk away, calmly, until you're out of its reach.  Find a
| proper released version of Gnus and snuggle up to that instead.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30 20:20           ` SINNER
From: SINNER @ 2006-12-30 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Reiner Steib wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:
> SINNER wrote:

>> it is recreating the entire Usenet hierarchy in ~News/marks/localhost/*

>> Here is a snippet of the contents:
>> uk         uq            uunet     vegas    wales          world     yu
> [...]
>> (setq nnfolder-marks-is-evil 1)

> You need `nntp-marks-is-evil' instead of `nnfolder-marks-is-evil' as
> described in the list of new features:

You know, I thought that looked wrong but I blindly went with it anyway,
thanks but I can live with the marks directory now that is only groups
to which I subscribe whose hierarchys are created.

[...]

> BTW, as a new Gnus user you'd better use a release version instead of
> (outdated) development code:

>> [ emacs 21.4.1 / No Gnus V0.4 ]

I just installed emacs-snapshot, per earlier recomendations to do such,
thanks.

> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Gnus Versions") ]
>|    If you happen upon a version of Gnus that has a prefixed name -
>| "(ding) Gnus", "September Gnus", "Red Gnus", "Quassia Gnus",
>| "Pterodactyl Gnus", "Oort Gnus", "No Gnus" - don't panic.  Don't let it
>| know that you're frightened.  Back away.  Slowly.  Whatever you do,
>| don't run.  Walk away, calmly, until you're out of its reach.  Find a
>| proper released version of Gnus and snuggle up to that instead.
> `----

Hmmm, wonder why Ubuntu would package it...

> Bye, Reiner.

Thanks.
--
David
<elmo> Joy: thanks, joy

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-30 22:04             ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-12-30 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 30 2006, SINNER wrote:

> * Reiner Steib wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:
>> BTW, as a new Gnus user you'd better use a release version instead of
>> (outdated) development code:
>
>>> [ emacs 21.4.1 / No Gnus V0.4 ]
>
> I just installed emacs-snapshot, per earlier recomendations to do such,
> thanks.
>
>> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Gnus Versions") ]
>>|    If you happen upon a version of Gnus that has a prefixed name -
>>| "(ding) Gnus", "September Gnus", "Red Gnus", "Quassia Gnus",
>>| "Pterodactyl Gnus", "Oort Gnus", "No Gnus" - don't panic.  Don't let it
>>| know that you're frightened.  Back away.  Slowly.  Whatever you do,
>>| don't run.  Walk away, calmly, until you're out of its reach.  Find a
>>| proper released version of Gnus and snuggle up to that instead.
>> `----
>
> Hmmm, wonder why Ubuntu would package it...

Don't know - ask Ubuntu.  I don't see the need to package No Gnus.  If
they do, they should make it clear that it's a development snapshot
(e.g. by appending "-snapshot" or similar to the package name) _and_
they should update it more often: No Gnus 0.4 is older than
2006-04-11.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Gnus + Leafnode = 10 minutes to start
@ 2006-12-31  7:48               ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-12-31  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sat, Dec 30 2006, SINNER wrote:
>
>> * Reiner Steib wrote in gnu.emacs.gnus:
>>> BTW, as a new Gnus user you'd better use a release version instead of
>>> (outdated) development code:

>> I just installed emacs-snapshot, per earlier recomendations to do such,
>> thanks.
>>
>>> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Gnus Versions") ]
>>> `----
>>
>> Hmmm, wonder why Ubuntu would package it...
>
> Don't know - ask Ubuntu.  I don't see the need to package No Gnus.  If
> they do, they should make it clear that it's a development snapshot
> (e.g. by appending "-snapshot" or similar to the package name) _and_
> they should update it more often: No Gnus 0.4 is older than
> 2006-04-11.
>
> Bye, Reiner.

I recommended the snapshot as its safer than cvs and a must have (afaik)
if you want smtp mail working.