* Editing from Draft
@ 2005-05-09 17:27 Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2005-05-09 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I do "D e" (`gnus-draft-edit-message') in the draft group I get
article mode with editing enabled. This seems odd to me because I am
used to writing email in message mode.

Is it possible to get back to message mode? Currently, I cut and paste
stuff out of the article buffer, because this feels nicer!

Phil

* Re: Editing from Draft
@ 2005-05-10  6:44 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-05-10  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 09 2005, Phillip Lord wrote:

> If I do "D e" (`gnus-draft-edit-message') in the draft group I get
> article mode with editing enabled. This seems odd to me because I am
> used to writing email in message mode.
>
> Is it possible to get back to message mode?

This should be the default behavior.  If you are using Gnus 5.9 as
your header indicates, `D e' should call `gnus-draft-edit-message'
whereas `e' calls `gnus-summary-edit-article'.  In 5.10, `e' runs
`gnus-draft-edit-message', too:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Oort Gnus") ]
|    * In draft groups, `e' is now bound to `gnus-draft-edit-message'.
|      Use `B w' for `gnus-summary-edit-article' instead.
`----

What does `C-h k D e' print for you in the drafts group?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Editing from Draft
@ 2005-05-10 12:52   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2005-05-10 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Reiner> On Mon, May 09 2005, Phillip Lord wrote:
  >> If I do "D e" (`gnus-draft-edit-message') in the draft group I
  >> get article mode with editing enabled. This seems odd to me
  >> because I am used to writing email in message mode.
  >>
  >> Is it possible to get back to message mode?

  Reiner> This should be the default behavior.  If you are using Gnus
  Reiner> 5.9 as your header indicates, `D e' should call
  Reiner> `gnus-draft-edit-message' whereas `e' calls
  Reiner> `gnus-summary-edit-article'.  In 5.10, `e' runs
  Reiner> `gnus-draft-edit-message', too:

  Reiner> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Oort Gnus") ] | * In draft groups, `e'
  Reiner> is now bound to `gnus-draft-edit-message'.  | Use `B w' for
  Reiner> `gnus-summary-edit-article' instead.  `----

  Reiner> What does `C-h k D e' print for you in the drafts group?

Hmmm. Strangeness.

I am using 21.4.1 out of the box, which makes Gnus 5.9.  For me, D e
is not bound to anything at all, although D is bound to...

D runs the command gnus-summary-mark-as-read-backward
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum'.
(gnus-summary-mark-as-read-backward N)

Mark the N articles as read backwards.
The difference between N and the actual number of articles marked is
returned.

More over gnus-draft-edit-message is not autoloaded. I have to load
gnus-draft manually.

I've had a look through the code base. gnus-draft-mode-map appears
correct, and defines the keys. But I have no "drafts" menu appearing
as I should have.

A bit more picking about tells me that the reason for this is because
gnus-draft-mode is off, which is where all these commands come from.

If I run M-x gnus-draft-mode in the drafts summary buffer then all
works correctly (although obvious I still have to use D e, rather than
just e).

I presume that this is supposed to happen automatically? It's entirely
feasible that some of my extensive .emacs is causing the problem
here, so if it should work, I'll have a poke around and try to find
out why not.

Cheers

Phil

* Re: Editing from Draft
@ 2005-05-10 17:16     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-05-10 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 10 2005, Phillip Lord wrote:

> If I run M-x gnus-draft-mode in the drafts summary buffer then all
> works correctly

The group somehow lost it's draft property.  Ah, we already have
something in the manual (probably not in 5.9, [1]) about this problem:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Drafts") ]
|    If the group doesn't exist, it will be created and you'll be
| subscribed to it.  The only way to make it disappear from the Group
| buffer is to unsubscribe it.  The special properties of the draft group
| comes from a group property (*note Group Parameters::), and if lost the
| group behaves like any other group.  This means the commands below will
| not be available.  To restore the special properties of the group, the
| simplest way is to kill the group, using `C-k', and restart Gnus.  The
| group is automatically created again with the correct parameters.  The
| content of the group is not lost.
`----

Bye, Reiner.

[1] See http://thread.gmane.org/87d6kjflsy.fsf%40deneb.enyo.de
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Editing from Draft
@ 2005-05-11 21:59       ` johnsu01
From: johnsu01 @ 2005-05-11 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> On Tue, May 10 2005, Phillip Lord wrote:
>
>> If I run M-x gnus-draft-mode in the drafts summary buffer then all works
>> correctly
>
> The group somehow lost it's draft property.  Ah, we already have something in
> the manual (probably not in 5.9, [1]) about this problem:
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Drafts") ]
> |    If the group doesn't exist, it will be created and you'll be subscribed to
> | it.  The only way to make it disappear from the Group buffer is to
> | unsubscribe it.  The special properties of the draft group comes from a group
> | property (*note Group Parameters::), and if lost the group behaves like any
> | other group.  This means the commands below will not be available.  To
> | restore the special properties of the group, the simplest way is to kill the
> | group, using `C-k', and restart Gnus.  The group is automatically created
> | again with the correct parameters.  The content of the group is not lost.
> `----
>
> Bye, Reiner.

Wow, that's a good tip. I've been wondering about this for some time. I have
always just been manually starting gnus-draft-mode before editing a draft.

I wonder how the property got lost, though. I don't think I have ever done
anything to edit the properties of the draft group, and I definitely did not
create it by hand.

--
-johnsu01
-http://www.wjsullivan.net

* Re: Editing from Draft
@ 2005-05-12  8:09         ` Reiner Steib
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-05-12  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 11 2005, johnsu01 wrote:

> I wonder how the property got lost, though. I don't think I have ever done
> anything to edit the properties of the draft group, and I definitely did not
> create it by hand.

If someone would be able to reproduce it, we could probably fix the
bug.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Editing from Draft
@ 2005-05-12 13:30           ` johnsu01
From: johnsu01 @ 2005-05-12 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> On Wed, May 11 2005, johnsu01 wrote:
>
>> I wonder how the property got lost, though. I don't think I have ever done
>> anything to edit the properties of the draft group, and I definitely did not
>> create it by hand.
>
> If someone would be able to reproduce it, we could probably fix the bug.

I'll try to do that. I know that the question comes up occasionally on freenode
#emacs and #gnus as well.

--
-johnsu01
-http://www.wjsullivan.net

* Re: Editing from Draft
@ 2005-05-12 21:54           ` Peter TB Brett
From: Peter TB Brett @ 2005-05-12 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> On Wed, May 11 2005, johnsu01 wrote:
>
> > I wonder how the property got lost, though. I don't think I have
> > ever done anything to edit the properties of the draft group, and
> > I definitely did not create it by hand.
>
> If someone would be able to reproduce it, we could probably fix the
> bug.

I suffered from the same bug (yes, I know that's not the same as
reproducing it) on WinXP/Emacs 21.3/Gnus 5.9, and killing the drafts
buffer and restarting Gnus fixed it for me.

Not that I expect that to be very helpful information.

Regards,

Peter

--
E-mail:  peter@peter-b.co.uk
Website: http://www.peter-b.co.uk

v2sw6YShw7ln5pr6ck3ma8u7Lw3+2m0l7CFi6e4+8t4Eb8Aen4g6Pa2Xs5MSr5p4 hackerkey.com

* Re: Editing from Draft
@ 2005-05-13 11:59           ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2005-05-13 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Reiner> On Wed, May 11 2005, johnsu01 wrote:

  >> I wonder how the property got lost, though. I don't think I have
  >> ever done anything to edit the properties of the draft group, and
  >> I definitely did not create it by hand.

  Reiner> If someone would be able to reproduce it, we could probably
  Reiner> fix the bug.

Hmmm, strange. Seems to be quite a common bug. I wonder whether the
problem is that the property is getting lost, or just not getting
set.

Phil