From: spamtrap@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren)
Subject: Re: Is BBDB really that bad?
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:32:52 +0200	[thread overview]

On 30 Sep 2002 20:57:41 +0200, Jarl Friis wrote:

> By entering my own addres I figured out that many design-decisions
> was made under the assumption that we all live in USA. It makes it
> more or less useless to me, is that really so?

It isn't useless to me, although I mostly use it as a glorified
email-database.

Example:

 David Pisinger - DIKU
           Phone: 35 32 13 54
            Work: Datalogisk Institut
                  Universitetsparken 1
                  DK-2100 Copenhagen
                  Denmark
             net: pisinger@diku.dk

Doesn't look USA-centric to me.

The only configuration option a quick glance reveals concerning
centricity issues is this one:

 (setq bbdb-north-american-phone-numbers-p nil)

> It stores entries in a lisp-like file ~/.bbdb, has anybody
> considered to make an interface to a Relational Databse Management
> System before?

I bet you're the first - go for it!

(My bbdb is so small (~20 KB) it would be ridiculous to waste time
putting it in a database and having Gnus connect to it all the time).

> Can someone say if some of these issues have been resolved in
> earlier versions of BBDB?

I think you mean "later versions". I'm using 2.35.

  Best regards,

--
 "Ok, so we didn't learn any big lesson. Sue me."              Adam Sjøgren
 "Live and don't learn, that's us."                       asjo@koldfront.dk