* Multi frame setup: get frame autodeletion?
@ 2022-11-19  2:47 Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-11-19  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I'm experimenting with multi frame setups for Gnus.  I want that
replying or mail composition is done in a fresh separate frame.  My
setup below works as expected - but after sending the message the frame
stays and its only window displays a different buffer.  I have do delete
the frame manually.  Is there a reasonable Gnus-specific way to get rid
of such frames automatically (i.e. after sending)?

This is my current setup:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defvar my-gnus-article-wconf
  '(if (> (frame-width) 95)
       '(vertical 1.0
                  (horizontal 1.0
                              (vertical 28 (tree 1.0))
                              (article 1.0))
                  (summary 10 point)
                  (when (> (frame-height) 50)
                    '("*BBDB*" 4)))
     '(vertical 1.0
                (article 1.0)
                (summary 8 point))))

(gnus-add-configuration `(article ,my-gnus-article-wconf))

(dolist (buf '(message post reply forward reply-yank))
  (gnus-add-configuration
   `(,buf (frame 1.0
                 ,my-gnus-article-wconf
                 ;; would be cool if one could somehow get the frame auto-deleted once
                 ;; the message had been sent...
                 (vertical 1.0 (message 1.0 point frame-focus))))))
#+end_src

TIA,

Michael.

* Re: Multi frame setup: get frame autodeletion?
@ 2022-11-19 12:02 ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2022-11-19 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Hey,

I like the idea very much, I have thought of a similar setup.
Currently I'm using only frames-only-mode for such purposes.

Have you tested if you have the same issue when you just use
`compose-mail`  C-x m RET?

Br,

Björn

* Re: Multi frame setup: get frame autodeletion?
@ 2022-11-19 13:13 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-11-19 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

How about making use of message-sent-hook, say?  The actual message
composition and sending is not technically handled by gnus but by
message mode instead, IIUC.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-11-13) on Debian 11.4

* Re: Multi frame setup: get frame autodeletion?
@ 2022-11-20  5:32   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-11-20  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> How about making use of message-sent-hook, say?  The actual message
> composition and sending is not technically handled by gnus but by
> message mode instead, IIUC.

There seem to be different places where one could start.  I got the tip
to add a `message-add-action' call to `gnus-message-setup-hook'.  Seems
a good solution to me.

Thanks,

@ 2022-11-20  5:34   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-11-20  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de> writes:

> Have you tested if you have the same issue when you just use
> `compose-mail`  C-x m RET?

I think so, but I didn't test...why do you think there should not be an
issue - who or what would delete the frame?

@ 2022-11-20 12:57     ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2022-11-20 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de> writes:
>
>> Have you tested if you have the same issue when you just use
>> `compose-mail`  C-x m RET?
>
> I think so, but I didn't test...why do you think there should not be an
> issue - who or what would delete the frame?

I wondered because there's already a keybind to compose a new mail in a
frame C-x 5 m.

Br,

Björn