* Restoring threads that have been read/replied to
@ 2021-06-15 12:41 Alex Bennée
From: Alex Bennée @ 2021-06-15 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

Due to issues with gmail's IMAP handling I've switched to interacting
with my development mailing lists via gmane's archival service. I've
having some problems understanding how the thread expiration policy works.

I've been using T k (gnus-summary-kill-thread) to kill threads I'm not
interested in. However there are a bunch of threads that I reply to or
want to keep track of. However I'm finding after I've read them they
disappear. If a reply to one of the threads appears I can't read it in
context to the rest of the thread. So a quick question:

  - can I re-fetch a whole thread based on the references in the post
    that is visible in my summary?

So far I can hi ^ (gnus-summary-refer-parent-article) and find the
parent article again but what I really want is to fetch the whole thread
with all it's context.

Ideally this would be automatic for any thread that I've either posted
and has replies or one that I've replied to.

--
Alex Bennée

* Re: Restoring threads that have been read/replied to
@ 2021-06-16  7:52 ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-06-16  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> writes:

>   - can I re-fetch a whole thread based on the references in the post
>     that is visible in my summary?

M-x gnus-summary-refer-thread

I use the default key-binding ‘A T’.

* Re: Restoring threads that have been read/replied to
@ 2021-06-24 17:19 ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2021-06-24 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Bennée; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Due to issues with gmail's IMAP handling I've switched to interacting
> with my development mailing lists via gmane's archival service. I've
> having some problems understanding how the thread expiration policy works.
>
> I've been using T k (gnus-summary-kill-thread) to kill threads I'm not
> interested in. However there are a bunch of threads that I reply to or
> want to keep track of. However I'm finding after I've read them they
> disappear. If a reply to one of the threads appears I can't read it in
> context to the rest of the thread. So a quick question:
>
>   - can I re-fetch a whole thread based on the references in the post
>     that is visible in my summary?
>
> So far I can hi ^ (gnus-summary-refer-parent-article) and find the
> parent article again but what I really want is to fetch the whole thread
> with all it's context.
>
> Ideally this would be automatic for any thread that I've either posted
> and has replies or one that I've replied to.

I face the same problem a lot of times. It's very annoying. The only
solutions that I could find so far are: `gnus-summary-refer-thread'
(bound to `A T` in the summary buffer) and
`gnus-summary-insert-old-articles' (bound to `/ o`) which I use if the
former doesn't work.

If you find something better, please share it in this thread and
hopefully I will be able to find it later. :)

Best,
--
Narendra Joshi

* Re: Restoring threads that have been read/replied to
@ 2021-06-24 20:12   ` Alex Bennée
From: Alex Bennée @ 2021-06-24 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narendra Joshi; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> writes:

> Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Due to issues with gmail's IMAP handling I've switched to interacting
>> with my development mailing lists via gmane's archival service. I've
>> having some problems understanding how the thread expiration policy works.
>>
>> I've been using T k (gnus-summary-kill-thread) to kill threads I'm not
>> interested in. However there are a bunch of threads that I reply to or
>> want to keep track of. However I'm finding after I've read them they
>> disappear. If a reply to one of the threads appears I can't read it in
>> context to the rest of the thread. So a quick question:
>>
>>   - can I re-fetch a whole thread based on the references in the post
>>     that is visible in my summary?
>>
>> So far I can hi ^ (gnus-summary-refer-parent-article) and find the
>> parent article again but what I really want is to fetch the whole thread
>> with all it's context.
>>
>> Ideally this would be automatic for any thread that I've either posted
>> and has replies or one that I've replied to.
>
> I face the same problem a lot of times. It's very annoying. The only
> solutions that I could find so far are: `gnus-summary-refer-thread'
> (bound to `A T` in the summary buffer) and
> `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles' (bound to `/ o`) which I use if the
> former doesn't work.
>
> If you find something better, please share it in this thread and
> hopefully I will be able to find it later. :)

From elsewhere in the group I currently have the following mapped to C-c
t in my summary-mode keymap:

  (defun my-gnus-fetch-whole-thread ()
    "like `A R' `T o' `A T' in the summary buffer."
    (interactive)
    (gnus-summary-refer-references)
    (gnus-summary-top-thread)
    (gnus-summary-refer-thread))

--

@ 2021-06-24 20:36     ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2021-06-24 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Bennée; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> writes:

> Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Due to issues with gmail's IMAP handling I've switched to interacting
>>> with my development mailing lists via gmane's archival service. I've
>>> having some problems understanding how the thread expiration policy works.
>>>
>>> I've been using T k (gnus-summary-kill-thread) to kill threads I'm not
>>> interested in. However there are a bunch of threads that I reply to or
>>> want to keep track of. However I'm finding after I've read them they
>>> disappear. If a reply to one of the threads appears I can't read it in
>>> context to the rest of the thread. So a quick question:
>>>
>>>   - can I re-fetch a whole thread based on the references in the post
>>>     that is visible in my summary?
>>>
>>> So far I can hi ^ (gnus-summary-refer-parent-article) and find the
>>> parent article again but what I really want is to fetch the whole thread
>>> with all it's context.
>>>
>>> Ideally this would be automatic for any thread that I've either posted
>>> and has replies or one that I've replied to.
>>
>> I face the same problem a lot of times. It's very annoying. The only
>> solutions that I could find so far are: `gnus-summary-refer-thread'
>> (bound to `A T` in the summary buffer) and
>> `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles' (bound to `/ o`) which I use if the
>> former doesn't work.
>>
>> If you find something better, please share it in this thread and
>> hopefully I will be able to find it later. :)
>
> From elsewhere in the group I currently have the following mapped to C-c
> t in my summary-mode keymap:
>
>   (defun my-gnus-fetch-whole-thread ()
>     "like `A R' `T o' `A T' in the summary buffer."
>     (interactive)
>     (gnus-summary-refer-references)
>     (gnus-summary-top-thread)
>     (gnus-summary-refer-thread))
>

>> Best,

Interesting that it works for you. When I try the command in this
thread, I get this error:

Couldn’t fetch article <871r8rb2pn.fsf@gmail.com>

Best,
--
Narendra Joshi

* Re: Restoring threads that have been read/replied to
@ 2021-06-24 21:25       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-06-24 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> writes:

> Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> writes:
>
>> Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I face the same problem a lot of times. It's very annoying. The only
>>> solutions that I could find so far are: `gnus-summary-refer-thread'
>>> (bound to `A T` in the summary buffer) and
>>> `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles' (bound to `/ o`) which I use if the
>>> former doesn't work.
>>>
>>> If you find something better, please share it in this thread and
>>> hopefully I will be able to find it later. :)
>>
>> From elsewhere in the group I currently have the following mapped to C-c
>> t in my summary-mode keymap:
>>
>>   (defun my-gnus-fetch-whole-thread ()
>>     "like `A R' `T o' `A T' in the summary buffer."
>>     (interactive)
>>     (gnus-summary-refer-references)
>>     (gnus-summary-top-thread)
>>     (gnus-summary-refer-thread))
>>

>>> Best,
>
> Interesting that it works for you. When I try the command in this
> thread, I get this error:
>
> Couldn’t fetch article <871r8rb2pn.fsf@gmail.com>

There's a good chance that that message is in a separate group. Maybe
you could set `gnus-refer-thread-use-search' to t and try again? That
will create a search group holding all the messages in the thread, even
if they're in separate groups now (assuming that search has been set up correctly).

* Re: Restoring threads that have been read/replied to
@ 2021-06-27 12:02         ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2021-06-27 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> writes:

>>> From elsewhere in the group I currently have the following mapped to C-c
>>> t in my summary-mode keymap:
>>>
>>>   (defun my-gnus-fetch-whole-thread ()
>>>     "like `A R' `T o' `A T' in the summary buffer."
>>>     (interactive)
>>>     (gnus-summary-refer-references)
>>>     (gnus-summary-top-thread)
>>>     (gnus-summary-refer-thread))

>> Interesting that it works for you. When I try the command in this
>> thread, I get this error:
>>
>> Couldn’t fetch article <871r8rb2pn.fsf@gmail.com>
>
> There's a good chance that that message is in a separate group. Maybe
> you could set `gnus-refer-thread-use-search' to t and try again? That
> will create a search group holding all the messages in the thread, even
> if they're in separate groups now (assuming that search has been set
> up correctly).

I think I got a subset of the mails in the thread after setting
`gnus-refer-thread-use-search' to `t`. I think it's a subset because it
doesn't have the email that defined `my-gnus-fetch-whole-thread'.  I got
these results with `gnus-summary-refer-references.

I still got this error after `A T` (`gnus-summary-refer-thread'):

Group nnselect:nnselect-875yxzh64i.fsf contains no messages

Best,
--
Narendra Joshi