From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net>
To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Positioning of items
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 18:34:33 +0000	[thread overview]

It seems that a lot of my problems with setting up gnus is related to the
positioning of major items in my '.gnus.el' and associated files. I refer
specifically to items like pop3, smtp, newsgroups, system mail, and gmail.

I have three gnus files, '.gnus.el' holds pop3, smtp, newsgroups, and system
mail. 'gnus-testing.el' is just a holding file for various testing purposes,
currently holding lots of 'setq...' functions. 'gnus-gmail.el' is specifically
relating to gmail and its setup.

Currently, I can successfully use pop3, smtp, and newsgroups - although I do have
to highlight and evaluate its region on gnus start-up. I think that this is
related to its position within the file, which may also explain why I can't
access system mail as well. The relevant section of my '.gnus.el' is like this -

,----
| (setq user-mail-address "boudiccas@talktalk.net")
|      (setq user-full-name "Sharon Kimble")
|
| (setq mail-sources '((pop :server "mail.talktalk.net"
| 						  :user "boudiccas@talktalk.net"
| 						  :password "rhubarbandcustard"
|                  :file :path "/var/mail/boudiccas")))
|
| ;; No primary server:
| (setq gnus-select-method '(list 'nnspool (london)))
| (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
| (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org"))
| (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""
|                                     (nnml-directory "~/.emacs.d/gnus.d/mail")
|                                     (nnml-active-file "~/.emacs.d/gnus.d/mail/active"))))
|
|     (setq mail-sources '((file :path "/var/mail/boudiccas")))
|
| (setq user-mail-address "boudiccas@talktalk.net")
|      (setq user-full-name "Sharon Kimble")
|
| (setq mail-sources '((pop :server "mail.talktalk.net"
| 						  :user "boudiccas@talktalk.net"
| 						  :password "rhubarbandcustard")))
|
| (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.talktalk.net")
| (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
| (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
| (require 'smtpmail)
|
| (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials "~/.authinfo")
| (setq starttls-use-gnutls t
|       starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli")
`----

Why can't I access system mail from /var/mail/boudiccas? Where should the
code-line be placed to ensure that it works successfully please?

Where should the code-line relating to newsgroups be placed for its successful
usage? This would mean that I no longer have to highlight its region and
evaluate it for it to work successfully.

At the moment I can use gnus, but not successfully or completely, I have to fudge
things for them to work properly. I know that some chunks of code are
duplicated, but this is a 'work-in-progress' and once its working properly they
will be cleaned up.

Thanks
Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.1
Registered Linux user 561944