* Re: 'smtp-server' not defined
       [not found] <mailman.3247.1380695145.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2013-10-02 19:10 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-02 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Leandro Noferini <lnoferin@cybervalley.org> writes:

> 'smtp-server' not defined
>
> What's changed? What I need to do?

I have no idea of the particulars of your setup, or if
something changed in Debian (I'm on Jessie) or Emacs
(I'm on GNU 23.4.1), however, I use Gnus for mail (as
well as Usenet) and the below setup (in .gnus) has
served me well. Perhaps it could be of use for you.

(load "smtpmail")

(setq smtpmail-smtp-server  "smtp.uu.se")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "student.uu.se")

(setq send-mail-function         'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

(setq user-full-name "Emanuel Berg")

(let ((username "embe8573"))
  (setq user-mail-address
        (format "%s@%s" username smtpmail-local-domain) )

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: 'smtp-server' not defined
@ 2013-10-03 16:48   ` Leandro Noferini
From: Leandro Noferini @ 2013-10-03 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

[...]

>> I use the debian-snapshot version of emacs
>>
>> GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.4)
>> of 2013-09-29 on prometheus, modified by Debian
>>
>> and from some days using the gnus inside (Gnus v5.13) trying to send
>> a message I get an error message like the subject
>>
>> 'smtp-server' not defined
>>
>> What's changed? What I need to do?
>
> apt-get remove flim
>
> (or maybe apt-get remove apel)
>
> see here
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnus-english/2010-02/msg00077.html

As you can see removing flim was the solution.

Thanks a lot for all responses!

[...]

--
leandro
Paul Simonon chiese a Mick Jones perché non avesse partecipato ad una

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

@ 2013-10-02  7:54 ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2013-10-02  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

@ 2013-10-02  7:45 ` Dmitrii Kashin
From: Dmitrii Kashin @ 2013-10-02  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Leandro Noferini <lnoferin@cybervalley.org> writes:

> and from some days using the gnus inside (Gnus v5.13) trying to send
> a message I get an error message like the subject
>
> 'smtp-server' not defined
>
> What's changed? What I need to do?

Dunno, and I have not a clue about what's wrong with your config file,
but in order to fix it, tell me if your .gnus file contains a string
liky this:

(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "sr01.freehck.ru")

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* 'smtp-server' not defined
@ 2013-10-02  6:25 Leandro Noferini
From: Leandro Noferini @ 2013-10-02  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ciao a tutti,

I use the debian-snapshot version of emacs

GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.4)
of 2013-09-29 on prometheus, modified by Debian

and from some days using the gnus inside (Gnus v5.13) trying to send
a message I get an error message like the subject

'smtp-server' not defined

What's changed? What I need to do?

--
leandro
Paul Simonon chiese a Mick Jones perché non avesse partecipato ad una
rissa durante un concerto. "Qualcuno doveva rimanere intonato" fu la
risposta.
http://6xukrlqedfabdjrb.onion

* Re: `smtp-server' not defined
@ 2010-02-23 19:17   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-02-23 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 20:11:42 +0900 Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:

>> Any idea why I get the message "`smtp-server' not defined" when I try
>> to send mail via gnus? I have tried to see what is wrong but I cannot
>> find anything.

KY> Remove smtpmail.el(c) that comes from the FLIM package (not the
KY> one of Emacs).  You can find it by performing:

KY> M-x locate-library RET smtpmail RET

KY> The FLIM package contains the different version of smtpmail.el,
KY> that issues the error message in question, though it will not be
KY> installed normally.

Can smptmail.el be versioned to prevent this?

Ted

* Re: `smtp-server' not defined
@ 2010-02-18 11:40   ` evan
From: evan @ 2010-02-18 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

That worked. Thanks.

On Feb 18, 11:11 am, Katsumi Yamaoka <yama...@jpl.org> wrote:
> > Any idea why I get the message "`smtp-server' not defined" when I try
> > to send mail via gnus? I have tried to see what is wrong but I cannot
> > find anything.
>
> Remove smtpmail.el(c) that comes from the FLIM package (not the
> one of Emacs).  You can find it by performing:
>
> M-x locate-library RET smtpmail RET
>
> The FLIM package contains the different version of smtpmail.el,
> that issues the error message in question, though it will not be
> installed normally.

* Re: `smtp-server' not defined
@ 2010-02-18 11:11 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-02-18 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Any idea why I get the message "`smtp-server' not defined" when I try
> to send mail via gnus? I have tried to see what is wrong but I cannot
> find anything.

Remove smtpmail.el(c) that comes from the FLIM package (not the
one of Emacs).  You can find it by performing:

M-x locate-library RET smtpmail RET

The FLIM package contains the different version of smtpmail.el,
that issues the error message in question, though it will not be
installed normally.

* `smtp-server' not defined
@ 2010-02-18  9:58 evan
From: evan @ 2010-02-18  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi all,

Any idea why I get the message "`smtp-server' not defined" when I try
to send mail via gnus? I have tried to see what is wrong but I cannot
find anything.

Thanks.

I have the following configuration (this is the same configuration
proposed in emacs-wiki):

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "gmail"
                                  (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                                  (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                  (nnimap-stream ssl)))
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
(require 'smtpmail)