* problem following up to this very mailing list
@ 2011-01-18 17:19 Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2011-01-18 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi guys,

I have never faced the problem described in the subject again. Generally
doing a followup and yank (F) or wide reply and yank (S W) works for all
of the other mailing lists and groups I'm subscribed to.

A few days ago I subscribed to this list and everytime I try to do a
followup using F, unfortunately the headers in the resulting 'message buffer's
To: field contains only the From: address from the original article.

I think the correct behaviour would be to have a To: and a Cc:
field. The To: field should be the same as the To: field of the original
email (upon which I pressed F) and the Cc: should include the From:
address from the original mail/article.

As a note all of my other groups are behaving correctly. I don't know or
understand why I have different behaviour with this group.

I also experimented with these group parameters but I got no different
behaviour apart from being aple to send a mail to the list with 'a':

((to-address . "info-gnus-english@gnu.org")
 (to-list . "info-gnus-english@gnu.org")
 (subscribed . t)
 (broken-reply-to . t))

Is there anyway to get this debugged? (I'll try again later with edebug
but I hadn't any luck till now)

Best Regards,
Leonidas Tsampros

* Re: problem following up to this very mailing list
@ 2011-01-18 19:21 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2011-01-18 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Leonidas Tsampros writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have never faced the problem described in the subject again. Generally
> doing a followup and yank (F) or wide reply and yank (S W) works for all
> of the other mailing lists and groups I'm subscribed to.
>
> A few days ago I subscribed to this list and everytime I try to do a
> followup using F, unfortunately the headers in the resulting 'message buffer's
> To: field contains only the From: address from the original article.
>
> I think the correct behaviour would be to have a To: and a Cc:
> field. The To: field should be the same as the To: field of the original
> email (upon which I pressed F) and the Cc: should include the From:
> address from the original mail/article.
>
> As a note all of my other groups are behaving correctly. I don't know or
> understand why I have different behaviour with this group.
>
> I also experimented with these group parameters but I got no different
> behaviour apart from being aple to send a mail to the list with 'a':
>
> ((to-address . "info-gnus-english@gnu.org")
>  (to-list . "info-gnus-english@gnu.org")
>  (subscribed . t)
>  (broken-reply-to . t))
>
> Is there anyway to get this debugged? (I'll try again later with edebug
> but I hadn't any luck till now)

Maybe the other lists doesn't have Mail-Followup-To: header set as this
one.

--
Alberto

@ 2011-01-18 19:22   ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2011-01-18 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Alberto Luaces writes:

> Leonidas Tsampros writes:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I have never faced the problem described in the subject again. Generally
>> doing a followup and yank (F) or wide reply and yank (S W) works for all
>> of the other mailing lists and groups I'm subscribed to.
>>
>> A few days ago I subscribed to this list and everytime I try to do a
>> followup using F, unfortunately the headers in the resulting 'message buffer's
>> To: field contains only the From: address from the original article.
>>
>> I think the correct behaviour would be to have a To: and a Cc:
>> field. The To: field should be the same as the To: field of the original
>> email (upon which I pressed F) and the Cc: should include the From:
>> address from the original mail/article.
>>
>> As a note all of my other groups are behaving correctly. I don't know or
>> understand why I have different behaviour with this group.
>>
>> I also experimented with these group parameters but I got no different
>> behaviour apart from being aple to send a mail to the list with 'a':
>>
>> ((to-address . "info-gnus-english@gnu.org")
>>  (to-list . "info-gnus-english@gnu.org")
>>  (subscribed . t)
>>  (broken-reply-to . t))
>>
>> Is there anyway to get this debugged? (I'll try again later with edebug
>> but I hadn't any luck till now)
>
> Maybe the other lists doesn't have Mail-Followup-To: header set as this
> one.

Ooops, I figured that you just set the header. Sorry for the noise!

--
Alberto

@ 2011-01-18 20:24 ` Rud1ger Sch1erz
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Rud1ger Sch1erz @ 2011-01-18 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:

> I have never faced the problem described in the subject again. Generally
> doing a followup and yank (F) or wide reply and yank (S W) works for all
> of the other mailing lists and groups I'm subscribed to.

I experience the same problem as you. I wonder why nobody else is
complaining. This list seems not to set the reply-to header to
info-gnus-english@gnu.org. So there is just the from-address of the
author. Thus followup or reply just uses the address of the author
instead of info-gnus-english@gnu.org.

I fixed this for me using the posting styles.

As I check for a couple of different email ids, I've defined this
function to determine to-from context:

(defun  is-about-email-id-p ( is-about-pattern)
  "used in gnus-posting-style, check if it's about `pattern' email"
  (save-excursion
    (when (message-mail-p)
      (when (get-buffer gnus-article-buffer)
        (set-buffer gnus-article-buffer)
        (let ((toheader (message-fetch-field "to")))
          (let ((fromheader (message-fetch-field "from")))
            (or (and toheader (string-match is-about-pattern toheader))
                    (and fromheader (string-match is-about-pattern fromheader)))
            ))))))

Which I then use in gnus-posting-styles to determine
info-gnus-english@gnu.org:

        ((is-about-email-id-p "info-gnus-english@gnu\.org")
         (to "info-gnus-english@gnu\.org")
         (name "Rud1ger Sch1erz")
         (address "nospam_tigre@yahoo.es")
         (organization "Joe Cool's Data Club")
         )

HTH,
Rudiger

* Re: problem following up to this very mailing list
@ 2011-01-19 11:02   ` Leonidas Tsampros
       [not found]   ` <mailman.0.1295694999.2398.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2011-01-19 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rud1ger Sch1erz; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Rud1ger Sch1erz <nospam_tigre@yahoo.es> writes:

> Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:
>
>> I have never faced the problem described in the subject again. Generally
>> doing a followup and yank (F) or wide reply and yank (S W) works for all
>> of the other mailing lists and groups I'm subscribed to.
>
> I experience the same problem as you. I wonder why nobody else is
> complaining. This list seems not to set the reply-to header to
> info-gnus-english@gnu.org. So there is just the from-address of the
> author. Thus followup or reply just uses the address of the author
> instead of info-gnus-english@gnu.org.

Thanks! Nice to know that I'm not alone in this. IMHO, I don't think
that this is a problem of the list, although your observation regarding
the Reply-to (it's optional, right?) header is probably correct.

I'm thinking that maybe we have something common in our setup that
changes/mangles the follow up behavior for this specific group. For
example I have a couple of other imap groups for which I receive mail
with no Reply-to header, and F works just fine (wide reply + yank). It's
only this group that I have the problem with.

@ 2011-01-22 11:09   ` Leonidas Tsampros
       [not found]   ` <mailman.0.1295694999.2398.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2011-01-22 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rud1ger Sch1erz; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Rud1ger Sch1erz <nospam_tigre@yahoo.es> writes:
> Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:
>
>> I have never faced the problem described in the subject again. Generally
>> doing a followup and yank (F) or wide reply and yank (S W) works for all
>> of the other mailing lists and groups I'm subscribed to.
>
> I experience the same problem as you. I wonder why nobody else is
> complaining. This list seems not to set the reply-to header to
> info-gnus-english@gnu.org. So there is just the from-address of the
> author. Thus followup or reply just uses the address of the author
> instead of info-gnus-english@gnu.org.
>
> I fixed this for me using the posting styles.
>
> As I check for a couple of different email ids, I've defined this
> function to determine to-from context:

Hi all

I found a small undocumented problem in how Gnus removes address that it should
not followup too.

The offending function is 'rmail-dont-reply-to' and the value of the
variable 'rmail-default-dont-reply-to-names'. It's default value was set
to "\\`info-" and thus this group's To: address matched and it was
pruned.

Setting 'rmail-default-dont-reply-to-names' to nil will get your
followups to work as expected! Googling with this variable, rendered a
thread in this same list a year ago
http://www.mail-archive.com/info-gnus-english@gnu.org/msg07008.html
stating exactly the same thing as I do now.

It took me a while too to figure this out.

Anyway, I hope this helps :)

By the way, I still do not understand why other people in this Group have
not complained. Maybe they are are reading it with nntp. But again only
3 people in total use the mailing list? I'm inclined to think that this
is a Gnus initiation process of some sort.

<snip>

@ 2011-01-24 13:39     ` Rud1ger Sch1erz
From: Rud1ger Sch1erz @ 2011-01-24 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:
[...]
> I found a small undocumented problem in how Gnus removes address that it should
> not followup too.
>
> The offending function is 'rmail-dont-reply-to' and the value of the
> variable 'rmail-default-dont-reply-to-names'. It's default value was set
> to "\\`info-" and thus this group's To: address matched and it was
> pruned.

Thank you for pointing this out. It's the same with my setup.

> Setting 'rmail-default-dont-reply-to-names' to nil will get your
> followups to work as expected! Googling with this variable, rendered a
> thread in this same list a year ago
> http://www.mail-archive.com/info-gnus-english@gnu.org/msg07008.html
> stating exactly the same thing as I do now.

Works for me, too. Unfortunately it's not enough, to just set
`rmail-dont-reply-to-names' to "", in order to prevent the default
setting.

> It took me a while too to figure this out.

Thanks again for posting.

> Anyway, I hope this helps :)

Yep. :)

Cheers,