* archiving sent-mail
@ 2008-01-30 20:10 Gour
From: Gour @ 2008-01-30 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi!

I'm quite new with Emacs & Gnus...

Mail is retrieved via getmail & filtered with maildrop which puts in
under ~/Maildir/ hierarchy of subfolders from where Gnus can access them
with imap back-end (there is localhost imap dovecot server).

All the post to mailing lists/newsgroups I do with this email account,
but I use few more email accounts (sending works with msmtp for each
'identity'), plus have a need for a few more email accounts for my
family members.

What I'd like to do is that for each different email account, all the
sent messages are archived into separate sent-mail folder, something
like mutt's 'set record' option.

For example:

user1@domain1.com  ---> ~/Maildir/.user1.sent-mail
user2@domain2.com ---> ~/Maildir/.user2.sent-mail etc.

(I use Maildir++ structure for the folders so that dovecot can recognize
subfolders.)

Any idea/hint/pointer how to achieve desired result?

That's my (probably) last issue at the moment...everything else works -
posting, reading email, syncing news between desktop & laptop, syncing
of mail between the two (with offlineimap)....

Sincerely,
Gour

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: archiving sent-mail
@ 2008-01-31 19:22 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-01-31 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, Jan 30 2008, Gour wrote:

> For example:
>
> user1@domain1.com  ---> ~/Maildir/.user1.sent-mail
> user2@domain2.com ---> ~/Maildir/.user2.sent-mail etc.
[...]
> Any idea/hint/pointer how to achieve desired result?

Did you read about `gnus-message-archive-group' in (info
"(gnus)Archived Messages")?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: archiving sent-mail
@ 2008-01-31 20:29   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2008-01-31 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Reiner> Did you read about `gnus-message-archive-group' in (info
Reiner> "(gnus)Archived Messages")?

I did, but I assume that elisp code required to achieve my intention is
(still) above my head :-(

The manual's examples are quite simple and mostly dealing with news.

For news' archive gnus-message-archive group should save to only one
folder, i.e. ~/Maildir/.list, but in case for different email accounts,
I need to (somehow) decide based on mail- message's from-header.

If you can give me some more specific hint, I'm ready to get my hands
dirty :-)

@ 2008-01-31 21:50     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-01-31 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, Jan 31 2008, Gour wrote:

> If you can give me some more specific hint, I'm ready to get my hands
> dirty :-)

Do you organize different accounts in different groups?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: archiving sent-mail
@ 2008-02-01  6:47       ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2008-02-01  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Reiner> Do you organize different accounts in different groups?

No. The mail is fetched via getmail (fcron-ed), filtered for viruses &
spam (clamav & bogo) and given to maildrop to perform splitting
under ~/Maildir/ subfolders where it is served by dovecot to Gnus.

Here is part of my ~/Maildir/:

drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-31 21:03 .spam/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-24 17:18 .list.Sent/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-28 09:17 .list.roundup/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-24 11:53 .list.orgmode/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-30 10:47 .list.muse/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-28 16:09 .list.haskell/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-28 16:09 .list.gtk2hs/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-02-01 07:04 .list.gnus/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-28 16:09 .list.ghc/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-30 10:43 .list.getmail/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-28 16:09 .list.darcs/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-28 16:09 .list.context/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-28 09:17 .list/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-24 17:17 .gour.Sent/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-24 12:25 .gour-iskon.Sent/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-02-01 07:33 .gour-iskon/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-31 07:24 .gour/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-30 10:47 .Gmail.Sent/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-30 10:46 .Gmail/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-24 12:20 .ggd.Sent/
drwx------   5 gour gour   4096 2008-01-30 10:42 .ggd/

In the above list, eg. '.list.folder' folders keep saved articles from
gmane-newsgroups and/or newsgroups and I want all email sent to them
(via present email account - gour) to be kept under '.list.Sent'.

otoh, email sent via present account to non mailing lists/newsgroups I
want to be kept under 'gour.Sent', from Gmail account to be kept under
'.Gmail.Sent' etc.

iow, for the mail that does not go to newsgroups/mailing lists, it has
to be checked based on 'From' header and then saved accordingly.

Prior to Gnus I used claws-mail and it's trivial to create outgoing
rule.

Before that I used mutt for long time and there 'set record' does the
job. I'm sure Gnus can do it as well, but it's not so trivial, at least
for my present skills.

Sincerely,
Gour

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: archiving sent-mail (solved)
@ 2008-02-03 20:47       ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2008-02-03 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english