* setting the from header in outgoing mail and news
@ 2006-05-25 20:14 Urs Thuermann
From: Urs Thuermann @ 2006-05-25 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a domain "isnogud.escape.de" which I use for the From: header
in mail and news.  All my machines have hostnames
<host>.isnogud.escape.de and Gnus therefore wants to set the From:
header to urs@<host>.isnogud.escpae.de, which is not a valid email
address.

For mail I fix this with sendmail masquerading, for news I always have
to add the correct From: header by hand.  This is not only nasty (and
I sometimes forget to set the header causing news posting with invalid
email address), it also prevents me from canceling my news postings
since Gnus thinks my articles are not my own when I try to cancel.
This is probably because the From: header is different from what Gnus
would put there.

I have searched the Gnus manual but didn't find the solution.  I have
an old .gnus file which contains the setting of the variable
gnus-use-generic-from, which I thought I have found in the docs quite
some time ago, but which I can't find anymore.  It also doesn't work.

How can I make Gnus use the correct From: header in mail and news?

urs

* Re: setting the from header in outgoing mail and news
@ 2006-05-25 20:39 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2006-05-25 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25 May 2006 22:14:32 +0200, Urs wrote:

> I have a domain "isnogud.escape.de" which I use for the From: header
> in mail and news.  All my machines have hostnames
> <host>.isnogud.escape.de and Gnus therefore wants to set the From:
> header to urs@<host>.isnogud.escpae.de, which is not a valid email
> address.

> For mail I fix this with sendmail masquerading, for news I always have
> to add the correct From: header by hand.  This is not only nasty (and
> I sometimes forget to set the header causing news posting with invalid
> email address), it also prevents me from canceling my news postings
> since Gnus thinks my articles are not my own when I try to cancel.
> This is probably because the From: header is different from what Gnus
> would put there.

> I have searched the Gnus manual but didn't find the solution.  I have
> an old .gnus file which contains the setting of the variable
> gnus-use-generic-from, which I thought I have found in the docs quite
> some time ago, but which I can't find anymore.  It also doesn't work.

> How can I make Gnus use the correct From: header in mail and news?

Does it help to set user-mail-address?

Like this, in your ~/.gnus, perhaps:

 (setq user-mail-address "urs@isnogud.escape.de")

,----[ C-h v user-mail-address RET ]
| `user-mail-address' is a variable declared in Lisp.
|   -- loaded from "sendmail"
|
| Value: "asjo@koldfront.dk"
|
| Documentation:
| *Full mailing address of this user.
| This is initialized based on `mail-host-address',
| after your init file is read, in case it sets `mail-host-address'.
`----

Perhaps it is sufficient to set mail-host-address in your .emacs

  Best regards,

--
 "Our hero regains consciousness at the feet of a             Adam Sjøgren
  sarcastic alien..."                                    asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: setting the from header in outgoing mail and news
@ 2006-05-26 19:40   ` Urs Thuermann
From: Urs Thuermann @ 2006-05-26 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > How can I make Gnus use the correct From: header in mail and news?
>
> Does it help to set user-mail-address?
>
> Like this, in your ~/.gnus, perhaps:
>
>  (setq user-mail-address "urs@isnogud.escape.de")
>
> ,----[ C-h v user-mail-address RET ]
> | `user-mail-address' is a variable declared in Lisp.
> |   -- loaded from "sendmail"
> |
> | Value: "asjo@koldfront.dk"
> |
> | Documentation:
> | *Full mailing address of this user.
> | This is initialized based on `mail-host-address',
> | after your init file is read, in case it sets `mail-host-address'.
> `----
>
> Perhaps it is sufficient to set mail-host-address in your .emacs

Ah, thanks for your prompt answer.  Setting mail-host-address in
.emacs does exactly what I want.  I think I should set it in
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el so that it works for all
users.

urs