* reconnecting threads
@ 2005-11-14  0:33 Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2005-11-14  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

People in mailing lists often use broken MUAs or else are just careless
and ignore thread structure when posting.  Is there any way in Gnus to
say "the current article is a followup to article foo" and display it as
such from now on?  In the absence of a nicer way, perhaps edit the
current article and insert a References header?  Does Gnus pay attention
to In-Reply-To headers when threading?

Thanks for any ideas.

--
A true pessimist won't be discouraged by a little success.

* Re: reconnecting threads
@ 2005-11-14 10:35 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-11-14 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 14 2005, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> People in mailing lists often use broken MUAs or else are just careless
> and ignore thread structure when posting.  Is there any way in Gnus to
> say "the current article is a followup to article foo" and display it as
> such from now on?

If the group needs to supports article editing:

,----
`----

> Does Gnus pay attention to In-Reply-To headers when threading?

IIRC it does.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: reconnecting threads
@ 2005-11-14 10:55 ` Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2005-11-14 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:11 on nov 14 2005, Ian Zimmerman said :

> Does Gnus pay attention to In-Reply-To headers when threading?
>
> Thanks for any ideas.

You can tweak gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function to make the threads
follow the subjects or the references.

Maybe the following will help with those broken MUAs :

    (setq gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function
    	  'gnus-gather-threads-by-subject)

--
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: reconnecting threads
@ 2005-11-14 12:57   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2005-11-14 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sébastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche.no@spam.free.fr.invalid> writes:

> Maybe the following will help with those broken MUAs :
>
>     (setq gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function
>     	  'gnus-gather-threads-by-subject)

... maybe this could be useful too:

(setq gnus-thread-ignore-subject t)

--
Bastien

* [META] Message-Id changes [Was: reconnecting threads]
@ 2005-11-19 22:36   ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2005-11-19 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian> People in mailing lists often use broken MUAs or else are just
Ian> careless and ignore thread structure when posting.  Is there any
Ian> way in Gnus to say "the current article is a followup to article
Ian> foo" and display it as such from now on?

[...]

Thanks for your reply (and the others, too).

This very thread is broken for me.  Looking at your reply, I see
the references header contains

<mailman.15146.1131928411.20277.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>

But the Message-Id of my original post was

<87d5l4oyph.fsf@gmail.com>

Why?  Does mailman rewrite the Message-Id?  Any way to prevent that?

--

@ 2005-11-23  4:42   ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2005-11-23  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)