* probs with firefox and gnus
@ 2004-07-24 14:33 Robert D. Crawford
       [not found] ` <87zn5p4g3y.fsf@laptop.rdc1.home>
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2004-07-24 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am new to the world of gnus (about 1.5 weeks) and I am having a bit of
a problem getting gnus and firefox to work well together.  I found code
on the emacs wiki to open an url in a new tab, but it opens in a new
window instead.  Here is the pertinent info:

Debian sid
Emacs 21.3
Firefox 0.9.1

The function code looks like this on the site:

;; I have added line numbers for reference in this post only
;; I also changed formatting to keep the lines under
;; 72 characters

1. (defun browse-url-firefox-new-tab (url &optional new-window)
2.  "Open URL in a new tab in Firefox."
3.   (interactive (browse-url-interactive-arg "URL: "))
4.   (let ((cmd (shell-command-to-string
5.    (concat "~/src/firefox/mozilla-xremote-client -a any 'openURL("
6.	  url ",new-tab)'"))))
7.    (unless (string= "" cmd)
8.     (message "Starting Firefox...")
9.     (start-process (concat "firefox " url)
        nil "~/src/firefox/firefox" url)
10.    (message "Starting Firefox...done"))))

I changed line 5 to read:

5.  (concat "/usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-xremote-client -a
            any 'openURL("

and

5.  (concat "/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/mozilla-firefox-xremote-client
            -a any 'openURL("

and

5.  (concat "/usr/bin/firefox -a firefox -remote
            'openURL("

but none of them seem to work.  I also changed line 9 to reflect the
local path to firefox.  The line in my .emacs that pertains to this
reads:

 '(browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-firefox-new-tab))

I have tried google, but I can't seem to find anything.  What am I
missing here?

Thanks,

rdc

--
<========================================================================>
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

Q:	What do you call a blind pre-historic animal?
A:	Diyathinkhesaurus.

Q:	What do you call a blind pre-historic animal with a dog?
A:	Diyathinkhesaurus Rex.
<========================================================================>

* Re: probs with firefox and gnus
       [not found] ` <87zn5p4g3y.fsf@laptop.rdc1.home>
@ 2004-07-24 15:53   ` Gabriel Ebner
From: Gabriel Ebner @ 2004-07-24 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

rdc1x@comcast.net (Robert D. Crawford) writes:

> I hope the formatting on the article is not as screwed up on everyone
> else's screen as it was mine.  If so, I can resend in another way.
> BTW, all the line numbers on my screen are now showing up in the
> middle of the lines (it seems to be reformatted as a paragraph).  Is
> there some way to solve this?

No problems here with Gnus v5.10.6 on Emacs 21.3.1 on debian-amd64.

   Gabriel.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: probs with firefox and gnus
@ 2004-07-24 16:13     ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2004-07-24 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gabriel Ebner <ge@gabrielebner.at> writes:

> rdc1x@comcast.net (Robert D. Crawford) writes:
>
> > I hope the formatting on the article is not as screwed up on everyone
> > else's screen as it was mine.
>
> No problems here with Gnus v5.10.6 on Emacs 21.3.1 on debian-amd64.
>
>    Gabriel.

I had the variable set:

(setq gnus-treat-fill-article t)

which was causing the problem.  Also on this topic, I had tried:

(setq gnus-treat-fill-long-lines t)

and it screws stuff up too.  I hate having messages span across the
whole screen.

rdc

--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

Q:	What is printed on the bottom of beer bottles in Minnesota?
A:	Open other end.