* Whats the purpose off user-mail-address ?
@ 2002-04-19  9:49 Pat Colbeck
       [not found] ` <vpq1ydcq8mh.fsf@montrose.imag.fr>
From: Pat Colbeck @ 2002-04-19  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I am usinging posting styles and have noticed that changing the value
of "user-mail-address" does not cause a change in the "From:" address
people see in my E-mails. The compose mail buufer dutifully displays
"user-mail-address" as whatever I set it to but it doesnt actually
seem to do anything useful. If I add "address" to each stanza of my
posting styles then the From address is actually changed.

Anyone care to enlighten me on whats going on ?

Example posting styles below:-

This doesnt work

(setq gnus-posting-styles
	'((".*"
		(user-full-name "Pat Colbeck")
		(user-mail-address "pcolbeck@bashq.org")
		(signature-file "~/.signatures/bashq.sig"))
	  ("^nnmaildir:azlan"
	  	(user-full-name "Pat Colbeck")
		(user-mail-address "pat.colbeck@esc.azlan.co.uk")
		(signature-file "~/.signatures/azlan.sig"))

This does

(setq gnus-posting-styles
	'((".*"

--
-----------------------------------
Pat Colbeck

* Re: Whats the purpose off user-mail-address ?
       [not found] ` <vpq1ydcq8mh.fsf@montrose.imag.fr>
@ 2002-04-19 11:04   ` Pat Colbeck
       [not found]     ` <vpqpu0worl5.fsf@montrose.imag.fr>
From: Pat Colbeck @ 2002-04-19 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know it works if I set "address" as well, what I was trying to get
at is what is the purpose of "user-mail-address" when it doesnt set
the "From" field in the mail header ?

Pat

--
Pat Colbeck

@ 2002-04-19 11:40       ` Pat Colbeck
From: Pat Colbeck @ 2002-04-19 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ahh the light dawns ...  So there is absolutely no point setting
"user-mail-address" to different things in each stanza of a posting
style, just use "address" instead.

--
Pat Colbeck