* gnus-registry-marks; possible to search and filter for marks
@ 2020-02-05 18:35 physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2020-02-05 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnus

Hello,
i use gnus-registry-marks to set the marks.
That works, but i do not find commands to search or filter for
particular marks.

Is it possible?
If not, what's the usage of such marks?

Regards
Poul

* Re: gnus-registry-marks; possible to search and filter for marks
@ 2020-02-05 23:22 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-02-05 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: physiculus; +Cc: gnus

physiculus <physiculus@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
> i use gnus-registry-marks to set the marks.
> That works, but i do not find commands to search or filter for
> particular marks.
>
> Is it possible?
> If not, what's the usage of such marks?

Well, they're nice to look at :)

I wrote a function for Gnorb that conducts an nnir search based on
information in the registry. It was horribly slow, because the registry
only records message-ids. So for each message found, it had to first do
a message-id->article-number lookup, then use that to actually retrieve
the article.

It was sort of too slow to be practically useful.

Eric

* Re: gnus-registry-marks; possible to search and filter for marks
@ 2020-02-07  7:16   ` paul poulsen
From: paul poulsen @ 2020-02-07  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: gnus

Hello,
hmmh does it mean there isn't a possibillity to do that?
That will be sad...

Regards
Poul

Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> schrieb am Do., 6. Feb. 2020,
00:22:

@ 2020-02-07 17:04     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-02-07 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paul poulsen; +Cc: gnus

paul poulsen <physiculus@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
> hmmh does it mean there isn't a possibillity to do that?
> That will be sad...

I don't think it's impossible, it would just take some thinking. I once
experimented with caching article numbers in the registry, and that
helped, but I was sharing the registry between several Gnus
installations, which meant that the numbers conflicted. You could just
store the article numbers on first use, and not save them, but again
that reduces the usefulness.

All the other solutions I can imagine would require much more invasive
code changes.

Eric