* Check for new news g hangs gnus
@ 2015-02-18 15:04 Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2015-02-18 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I installed gnus with ELPA for emacs 24. It worked properly on old
hardware, but a similar setup on new hardware hangs when I check for new
news by typing "g". What is different is the overall setup.

I have a key in fluxbox that calls ~/scripts/emacs-gnus executable
script. This script has this line pointing to its init file:

   emacs -q -l /home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/gnus.el

The basic change from the working system was to relocate ~/.emacs-gnus
to ~/.emacs.d/elisp/emacs-gnus. Other changes I do not believe are
relevant.

When the window comes up to display the subscribed news groups and the
number of new messagse in them, the menu bar provides such things as
Gnus, Groups, Group. In the first is the command g to check for new
news. In my current setup, when I type g, it causes gnus to hang.

* Re: Check for new news g hangs gnus
@ 2015-02-18 22:55 ` Ray
From: Ray @ 2015-02-18 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Haines Brown <haines@engels.histomat.net> writes:

> I installed gnus with ELPA for emacs 24. It worked properly on old
> hardware, but a similar setup on new hardware hangs when I check for new
> news by typing "g". What is different is the overall setup.
>
> I have a key in fluxbox that calls ~/scripts/emacs-gnus executable
> script. This script has this line pointing to its init file:
>
>    emacs -q -l /home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/gnus.el
>
> The basic change from the working system was to relocate ~/.emacs-gnus
> to ~/.emacs.d/elisp/emacs-gnus. Other changes I do not believe are
> relevant.
>
> When the window comes up to display the subscribed news groups and the
> number of new messagse in them, the menu bar provides such things as
> Gnus, Groups, Group. In the first is the command g to check for new
> news. In my current setup, when I type g, it causes gnus to hang.

I have exactly the same issues. I get round it by issuing a Ctrl G
before g to check for new news. But would be much happier to have it
resolved. Shall keep an eye for replies to your thread here.

Ray

* Re: Check for new news g hangs gnus
@ 2015-02-18 23:10   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-02-18 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ray <ray@invalid.com> writes:

> I have exactly the same issues. I get round it by issuing a Ctrl G
> before g to check for new news. But would be much happier to have it
> resolved. Shall keep an eye for replies to your thread here.

I have the same issue. I guess it looses connection to Gmane or some other
NNTP server.  A timeout would be great...

—Rasmus

--
Tack, ni svenska vakttorn. Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä!

* Re: Check for new news g hangs gnus
@ 2015-02-19  4:35     ` Clemens Schüller
From: Clemens Schüller @ 2015-02-19  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello!

On 19. Feb. 2015 at 00:10 Rasmus wrote:
> Ray <ray@invalid.com> writes:

>> I have exactly the same issues. I get round it by issuing a Ctrl G
>> before g to check for new news. But would be much happier to have it
>> resolved. Shall keep an eye for replies to your thread here.
>
> I have the same issue. I guess it looses connection to Gmane or some other
> NNTP server.  A timeout would be great...

Same here too - I get round with a C-g and a R.

This error happens, when I longer do nothing with gnus.

--
Best Regards, Clemens Schüller

* Re: Check for new news g hangs gnus
@ 2015-02-23  8:02       ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2015-02-23  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Clemens Schüller <cs.mlists+info-gnus@mailbox.org> writes:

> Hello!
> Same here too - I get round with a C-g and a R.
>
> This error happens, when I longer do nothing with gnus.

same here...

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::

* Re: Check for new news g hangs gnus
@ 2015-03-07 18:07 ` Ray
From: Ray @ 2015-03-07 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Haines Brown <haines@engels.histomat.net> writes:

> I installed gnus with ELPA for emacs 24. It worked properly on old
> hardware, but a similar setup on new hardware hangs when I check for new
> news by typing "g". What is different is the overall setup.
>
> I have a key in fluxbox that calls ~/scripts/emacs-gnus executable
> script. This script has this line pointing to its init file:
>
>    emacs -q -l /home/haines/.emacs.d/elisp/gnus.el
>
> The basic change from the working system was to relocate ~/.emacs-gnus
> to ~/.emacs.d/elisp/emacs-gnus. Other changes I do not believe are
> relevant.
>
> When the window comes up to display the subscribed news groups and the
> number of new messagse in them, the menu bar provides such things as
> Gnus, Groups, Group. In the first is the command g to check for new
> news. In my current setup, when I type g, it causes gnus to hang.

As stated in this thread I too have had the g to update news causing it
to hang.

However I think I may have just cured my own issues and perhaps it will
work for some of you guys too. I noticed that in my server buffer all
NNTP servers had agent applied but NOT news.gwene.org I added the agent
now g seems to refresh any new news immediately. Good luck all.

RayH