From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: How to use Gnus to read newsgroup like gnu.emacs.gnus?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 19:31:49 +0100	[thread overview]

> David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:
>
>>> This should be the name of the server, not the name
>>> of the news group. (I can't remember the name of the
>>> free server, but it probably begins with 'news').
>>
>> Try news.gnus.org.

I've tried -
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
			 '(nntp "news.gmane.org")
			 '(nntp "nntp.aioe.org")
			 '(nntp "news.gnus.org"))

but its failing saying -
╭────
│Wrote /home/boudiccas/.gnus.el
│add-to-list: Invalid function: (nntp "news.gnus.org")
╰────

So how can I add it then please? The other two links work, so why
doesn'tthe last one? If I use "news.gnus.org" as the url it takes me to
a index page with a graphic on it of various sites in a rather spiffing
looking graphic! So I'm puzzled. My idea was that I would be able to get
advance information when a new gnus and emacs are released, but maybe I
could get that information elsewhere?

Sharon.

> Or:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "Aioe.org"))
>
> To add a group, I use this:
>
> (defun gnus-add-nntp-group (group)
>   (interactive "s Newsgroup: ")
>   (gnus-group-make-group group
>                          (symbol-to-string (car gnus-select-method))
>                          (cadr gnus-select-method) )
>   (gnus-save-newsrc-file) )
>
> which I have bound to "a" (for "add").
>
> Otherwise you can just use `M-x gnus-group-make-group'
> if you don't mind repeating yourself a few times.

TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.92.1