* gmail and nnimap - hanging
@ 2013-08-29  5:56 Paul Rudin
From: Paul Rudin @ 2013-08-29  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english-mXXj517/zsQ

When reading gmail via nnimap I find that quite often things
hang. Pressing C-g and then g will often sort things out.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

* Re: gmail and nnimap - hanging
@ 2013-08-29  6:44 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-08-29  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Paul Rudin <paul@rudin.co.uk> writes:

Hi Paul,

> When reading gmail via nnimap I find that quite often things
> hang. Pressing C-g and then g will often sort things out.

I thought I had the same problem recently.  See the thread starting
with:

  http://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/cutoff=83751

It turned out that it acually was't gmail that caused the hang, but
instead it's been some nntp server, only the output in the message area
was misleading.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: gmail and nnimap - hanging
@ 2013-08-31  7:42   ` Paul Rudin
From: Paul Rudin @ 2013-08-31  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english-mXXj517/zsQ

Tassilo Horn <tsdh-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Paul Rudin <paul-sqPYmOVXOov10XsdtD+oqA@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
>> When reading gmail via nnimap I find that quite often things
>> hang. Pressing C-g and then g will often sort things out.
>
> I thought I had the same problem recently.  See the thread starting
> with:
>
>   http://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/cutoff=83751
>
> It turned out that it acually was't gmail that caused the hang, but
> instead it's been some nntp server, only the output in the message area
> was misleading.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure the url you gave links to the thread
you intended? At least I can't see anything directly relevant.

I don't think it's an nntp problem in my case. If temporarily disable
reading via nntp the problem persists with the gmail connection.

* Re: gmail and nnimap - hanging
@ 2013-09-02 11:25     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-09-02 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Paul Rudin <paul@rudin.co.uk> writes:

>>> When reading gmail via nnimap I find that quite often things
>>> hang. Pressing C-g and then g will often sort things out.
>>
>> I thought I had the same problem recently.  See the thread starting
>> with:
>>
>>   http://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/cutoff=83751
>>
>> It turned out that it acually was't gmail that caused the hang, but
>> instead it's been some nntp server, only the output in the message area
>> was misleading.
>
> Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure the url you gave links to the thread
> you intended? At least I can't see anything directly relevant.

Oh, no, the link doesn't show the right thread.  What I've meant is the
thread starting with

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/83408

But here I don't know how to switch to the complete thread view in the
gmane web interface...

> I don't think it's an nntp problem in my case. If temporarily disable
> reading via nntp the problem persists with the gmail connection.

Ok, I see.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: gmail and nnimap - hanging
@ 2013-09-02 11:40       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2013-09-02 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/83408

> But here I don't know how to switch to the complete thread view in the
> gmane web interface...

I think clicking on the Subject shows the thread?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I was taught at school never to start a sentence            Adam Sjøgren
  without knowing the end of it."                        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: gmail and nnimap - hanging
@ 2013-09-02 11:56         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-09-02 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/83408
>
>> But here I don't know how to switch to the complete thread view in
>> the gmane web interface...
>
> I think clicking on the Subject shows the thread?

Oh, yes.  Totally obvious now that I know it. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo