* threading broken in g.e.gnus (was: Can't send emails to this list via gmane?)
       [not found] <mailman.23008.1364502994.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2013-04-03 15:40 ` Tim Howe
       [not found]   ` <mailman.23407.1365005109.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tim Howe @ 2013-04-03 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I'm noticing many of the threads in here are completely broken.  It
seems the Message-IDs are getting replaced by Mailman ones so References
and In-Reply-To headers are left dangling.  So Gnus falls back to the
"same-subject-guessing" behavior.

    http://i.imgur.com/xgxuZT0.png

Is this intentional?

--
Tim Howe
http://quadium.net/~vsync/

The lack of interest, the disdain for history is what makes computing
not-quite-a-field.  [...]  They have no idea where [their culture came
from] and the Internet was done so well that most people think of it
as a natural resource like the Pacific Ocean, rather than something
that was man-made.  When was the last time a technology with a scale
like that was so error-free?  The Web, in comparison, is a joke.  The
Web was done by amateurs.
        -- Alan Kay

* Re: threading broken in g.e.gnus
@ 2013-04-03 16:05   ` W. Greenhouse
       [not found]   ` <mailman.23407.1365005109.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2013-04-03 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english-mXXj517/zsQ

Tim Howe <vsync-n9BkStgIQNfR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I'm noticing many of the threads in here are completely broken.  It
> seems the Message-IDs are getting replaced by Mailman ones so References
> and In-Reply-To headers are left dangling.  So Gnus falls back to the
> "same-subject-guessing" behavior.
>
>     http://i.imgur.com/xgxuZT0.png
>
> Is this intentional?

You can try customizing `gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function'.
Gnus's default is indeed to fall back on Subject if References are
wrong, but you can eliminate this behavior if you wish.  See also (info
"(gnus) Loose Threads").

--
Regards,
WGG

@ 2013-04-03 16:36     ` Tim Howe
From: Tim Howe @ 2013-04-03 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 03 Apr 2013, wgreenhouse@riseup.net (W. Greenhouse) wrote:

> Tim Howe <vsync@quadium.net> writes:
>
>> I'm noticing many of the threads in here are completely broken.  It
>> seems the Message-IDs are getting replaced by Mailman ones so References
>> and In-Reply-To headers are left dangling.
>
> You can try customizing `gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function'.
> Gnus's default is indeed to fall back on Subject if References are
> wrong

Thanks for that, but I was actually commenting on the munging itself,
not how Gnus is handling it on display.  It seems something (GMANE?) is
chewing on the articles and replacing the Message-IDs with "Mailman"
ones, meaning that references and threading are broken non-predictably
depending on the path messages take.

--

@ 2013-04-03 17:38       ` W. Greenhouse
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2013-04-03 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english-mXXj517/zsQ; +Cc: gmane-discuss-8Df2Q3VNN1VeQc5e7gblnA

Tim Howe <vsync-n9BkStgIQNfR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org> writes:

> On 03 Apr 2013, wgreenhouse-sGOZH3hwPm2sTnJN9+BGXg@public.gmane.org (W. Greenhouse) wrote:
>
>> Tim Howe <vsync-n9BkStgIQNfR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
>>> I'm noticing many of the threads in here are completely broken.  It
>>> seems the Message-IDs are getting replaced by Mailman ones so References
>>> and In-Reply-To headers are left dangling.
>>>
>>> http://i.imgur.com/xgxuZT0.png
>>
>> You can try customizing `gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function'.
>> Gnus's default is indeed to fall back on Subject if References are
>> wrong
>
> Thanks for that, but I was actually commenting on the munging itself,
> not how Gnus is handling it on display.  It seems something (GMANE?) is
> chewing on the articles and replacing the Message-IDs with "Mailman"
> ones, meaning that references and threading are broken non-predictably
> depending on the path messages take.

Yes, the problem seems correlated to [followups to] posts made from
info-gnus-english-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org, as opposed to the Gmane or Google Groups
routes.  It's still noticeable, although not as frequently, with my
display settings for Gnus ( http://ompldr.org/vaHo3dQ ).

Crossposting to gmane.discuss to see if the Gmane admins have an idea
about this.

Best,
Will

--