* Show group for article found via search?
@ 2012-09-25  7:02 Loris Bennett
       [not found] ` <mailman.9694.1348563048.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Loris Bennett @ 2012-09-25  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

My IMAP mail is currently organised as quite a few nested folders, which
I group together using topics:

[mail]
  [general]
    nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:INBOX
    nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:sent
  [work]
    nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:this
    nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:that
    nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:theother
  [private]
    nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:friends
    nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:family
[news]

If I use G G on a topic to search for a message and get several results,
is there a way to find out which folder each message found is in?

Cheers

Loris
--
no sig is good sig

* Re: Show group for article found via search?
@ 2012-09-25  8:50 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.9694.1348563048.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-09-25  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> [mail]
>   [general]
>     nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:INBOX
>     nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:sent
>   [work]
>     nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:this
>     nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:that
>     nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:theother
>   [private]
>     nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:friends
>     nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:family
> [news]
>
> If I use G G on a topic to search for a message and get several
> results, is there a way to find out which folder each message found is
> in?

I think, there's no way to see that information from the nnir search
results summary.  But you can "warp" to any article found in its
originating group:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Basic Usage") ]
|    The `nnir' group made in this way is an `ephemeral' group, and some
| changes are not permanent: aside from reading, moving, and deleting,
| you can't act on the original article. But there is an alternative: you
| can _warp_ to the original group for the article on the current line
| with `A W', aka `gnus-warp-to-article'. Even better, the function
| `gnus-summary-refer-thread', bound by default in summary buffers to `A
| T', will first warp to the original group before it works its magic and
| includes all the articles in the thread. From here you can read, move
| and delete articles, but also copy them, alter article marks, whatever.
| Go nuts.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

@ 2012-09-25 11:22   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2012-09-25 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> [mail]
>>   [general]
>>     nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:INBOX
>>     nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:sent
>>   [work]
>>     nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:this
>>     nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:that
>>     nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:theother
>>   [private]
>>     nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:friends
>>     nnimap+mail.my.provider.com:family
>> [news]
>>
>> If I use G G on a topic to search for a message and get several
>> results, is there a way to find out which folder each message found is
>> in?
>
> I think, there's no way to see that information from the nnir search
> results summary.  But you can "warp" to any article found in its
> originating group:
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Basic Usage") ]
> |    The `nnir' group made in this way is an `ephemeral' group, and some
> | changes are not permanent: aside from reading, moving, and deleting,
> | you can't act on the original article. But there is an alternative: you
> | can _warp_ to the original group for the article on the current line
> | with `A W', aka `gnus-warp-to-article'. Even better, the function
> | `gnus-summary-refer-thread', bound by default in summary buffers to `A
> | T', will first warp to the original group before it works its magic and
> | includes all the articles in the thread. From here you can read, move
> | and delete articles, but also copy them, alter article marks, whatever.
> | Go nuts.
> `----
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Thanks for the hint (why didn't I think of googling for 'warp'?), but I
don't get it.  What is supposed to happen?  Using the bindings or
calling the functions explicitly doesn't seem to do anything.

Cheers

Loris

--

@ 2012-09-25 12:26   ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2012-09-25 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

You can have the original group displayed in the summary line. Check out
the nnir customization node in the info file. The relevant bit is:

`nnir-summary-line-format'
     The format specification to be used for lines in an nnir summary
     buffer.  All the items from `gnus-summary-line-format' are
     available, along with three items unique to nnir summary buffers:

          %Z    Search retrieval score value (integer)
          %G    Article original full group name (string)
          %g    Article original short group name (string)

     If nil (the default) this will use `gnus-summary-line-format'.

* Re: Show group for article found via search?
@ 2012-09-25 15:20     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-09-25 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Andrew Cohen <cohen@bu.edu> writes:

> You can have the original group displayed in the summary line. Check
> out the nnir customization node in the info file.

Hey, cool!  Thanks for the pointer.

Bye,
Tassilo