* nnimap can not get Sent Mail in Gmail
@ 2009-11-30  6:26 Plato Wu
From: Plato Wu @ 2009-11-30  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I have configured Gnus to access Gmail by IMAP, It can get INBOX and
other labels which are created by me. The important Sent Mail label
can not be showed.

If I label Sent Mail with my created Label, it is OK. I suspect it
is because Sent Mail contains space, but I tried label with space, It
works well too.

I don't know why, please help me, thank you in advance.

* Re: nnimap can not get Sent Mail in Gmail
@ 2009-12-01 20:26 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-12-01 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:26:25 +0800 Plato Wu <gtalk000@gmail.com> wrote:

PW> I have configured Gnus to access Gmail by IMAP, It can get INBOX and
PW> other labels which are created by me. The important Sent Mail label
PW> can not be showed.

PW> If I label Sent Mail with my created Label, it is OK. I suspect it
PW> is because Sent Mail contains space, but I tried label with space, It
PW> works well too.

PW> I don't know why, please help me, thank you in advance.

Does the same setup work with another IMAP client, e.g. Thunderbird?

Ted

* Re: nnimap can not get Sent Mail in Gmail
@ 2009-12-03  3:10   ` Plato Wu
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Plato Wu @ 2009-12-03  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:26:25 +0800 Plato Wu <gtalk000@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> PW> I have configured Gnus to access Gmail by IMAP, It can get INBOX and
> PW> other labels which are created by me. The important Sent Mail label
> PW> can not be showed.
>
> PW> If I label Sent Mail with my created Label, it is OK. I suspect it
> PW> is because Sent Mail contains space, but I tried label with space, It
> PW> works well too.
>
> PW> I don't know why, please help me, thank you in advance.
>
> Does the same setup work with another IMAP client, e.g. Thunderbird?
>
> Ted

I have tried Thunderbird, it works well and its IMAP folder location
like this: imap://gtalk000%40gmail.com@imap.gmail.com/%5BGmail%5D
imap://gtalk000%40gmail.com@imap.gmail.com/%5BGmail%5D/All%20Mail

my .gnus.el is:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nntp "news.cn99.com")
        (nntp "news.newsfan.net")
        (nnimap "gmail"
                (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-stream ssl))))

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      smtpmail-local-domain nil)

authentication credentials is stored in ~/.authinfo

Thank you very much!

Plato Wu

* Re: nnimap can not get Sent Mail in Gmail
@ 2009-12-03 17:59     ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]     ` <mailman.12149.1259897382.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-12-03 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:10:40 +0800 Plato Wu <gtalk000@gmail.com> wrote:

PW> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:26:25 +0800 Plato Wu <gtalk000@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
PW> I have configured Gnus to access Gmail by IMAP, It can get INBOX and
PW> other labels which are created by me. The important Sent Mail label
PW> can not be showed.
>>
PW> If I label Sent Mail with my created Label, it is OK. I suspect it
PW> is because Sent Mail contains space, but I tried label with space, It
PW> works well too.
>>
>> Does the same setup work with another IMAP client, e.g. Thunderbird?
>>
PW> I have tried Thunderbird, it works well and its IMAP folder location
PW> like this: imap://gtalk000%40gmail.com@imap.gmail.com/%5BGmail%5D
PW> imap://gtalk000%40gmail.com@imap.gmail.com/%5BGmail%5D/All%20Mail

Your setup looks OK.  I don't use GMail so maybe someone else can help
you with this.  I would at least try `^' to get the server buffer, then
RET on the GMail IMAP server entry to see all the groups in it.  Maybe
"Sent Mail" is different in some way, I don't know.

Ted

* Re: nnimap can not get Sent Mail in Gmail
@ 2009-12-04  3:29     ` Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias
       [not found]     ` <mailman.12149.1259897382.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias @ 2009-12-04  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Plato Wu <gtalk000@gmail.com> writes:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:26:25 +0800 Plato Wu <gtalk000@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> PW> I have configured Gnus to access Gmail by IMAP, It can get INBOX and
>> PW> other labels which are created by me. The important Sent Mail label
>> PW> can not be showed.
>>
>> PW> I don't know why, please help me, thank you in advance.

Could be a case of gnus-ignored-newsgroups?

,----[ C-h v gnus-ignored-newsgroups RET ]

`----

@ 2009-12-04  9:28       ` Plato Wu
From: Plato Wu @ 2009-12-04  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

egallego@babel.ls.fi.upm.es (Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias) writes:

> Plato Wu <gtalk000@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Could be a case of gnus-ignored-newsgroups?
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-ignored-newsgroups RET ]
> | gnus-ignored-newsgroups is a variable defined in `gnus-start.el'.
> | Its value is
> | "^to\\.\\|^[0-9. 	]+\\( \\|$\\)\\|^[\"][]\"['()]"
> |
> | Documentation:
> | *A regexp to match uninteresting newsgroups in the active file.
> | Any lines in the active file matching this regular expression are
> | removed from the newsgroup list before anything else is done to it,
> | thus making them effectively non-existent.
> |
> | You can customize this variable.
> |
> | [back]
> `----
Definitely! Thank you very much!

they all have a "[Gmail]" prefix which is matched with gnus-ignored-newsgroups.

* Re: nnimap can not get Sent Mail in Gmail
@ 2009-12-04 18:37         ` Ted Zlatanov
                             ` (3 more replies)
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-12-04 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 17:28:48 +0800 Plato Wu <gtalk000@gmail.com> wrote:

PW> egallego@babel.ls.fi.upm.es (Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias) writes:
>> Plato Wu <gtalk000@gmail.com> writes:

PW> I have configured Gnus to access Gmail by IMAP, It can get INBOX and
PW> other labels which are created by me. The important Sent Mail label
PW> can not be showed.
>>>>
PW> I don't know why, please help me, thank you in advance.
>>
>> Could be a case of gnus-ignored-newsgroups?
>>
>> ,----[ C-h v gnus-ignored-newsgroups RET ]
>> | gnus-ignored-newsgroups is a variable defined in `gnus-start.el'.
>> | Its value is
>> | "^to\\.\\|^[0-9. 	]+\\( \\|$\\)\\|^[\"][]\"['()]"
>> |
>> | Documentation:
>> | *A regexp to match uninteresting newsgroups in the active file.
>> | Any lines in the active file matching this regular expression are
>> | removed from the newsgroup list before anything else is done to it,
>> | thus making them effectively non-existent.
>> |
>> | You can customize this variable.
>> |
>> | [back]
>> `----
PW> Definitely! Thank you very much!

PW> they all have a "[Gmail]" prefix which is matched with gnus-ignored-newsgroups.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail says it but it's easy to miss
it.  Could you update with your setup and experience?

Thanks
Ted

* Re: nnimap can not get Sent Mail in Gmail
@ 2009-12-05  3:34           ` Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias @ 2009-12-05  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail says it but it's easy to miss
> it.  Could you update with your setup and experience?

Why not update the default value of gnus-ignored-newsgroups? [To nil]

I got almost crazy trying to figure out why my GNUS didn't display IMAP
folders like #mbox.archive, etc...

AFAICS, there's no server nowadays which requires this. Has anyone got
an example of a server where this setting is useful?

Regards,
Emilio

* Re: nnimap can not get Sent Mail in Gmail
@ 2009-12-05  6:31           ` Plato Wu
       [not found]           ` <mailman.12240.1259983894.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Plato Wu @ 2009-12-05  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 17:28:48 +0800 Plato Wu <gtalk000@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> PW> egallego@babel.ls.fi.upm.es (Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias) writes:

> PW> I have configured Gnus to access Gmail by IMAP, It can get INBOX and
> PW> other labels which are created by me. The important Sent Mail label
> PW> can not be showed.
>>>>>
> PW> I don't know why, please help me, thank you in advance.
>>>
>>> Could be a case of gnus-ignored-newsgroups?
>>>
>>> ,----[ C-h v gnus-ignored-newsgroups RET ]

>>> `----
> PW> Definitely! Thank you very much!
>
> PW> they all have a "[Gmail]" prefix which is matched with
> gnus-ignored-newsgroups.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail says it but it's easy to miss
> it.  Could you update with your setup and experience?
>
> Thanks
> Ted

I have update the document and remove the confusing words: I have read
it and only try to do with gnus-invalid-group-regexp, :(

Is it OK?

@ 2009-12-07 15:49             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-12-07 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 04:34:23 +0100 egallego@babel.ls.fi.upm.es (Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias) wrote:

EJGA> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail says it but it's easy to miss
>> it.  Could you update with your setup and experience?

EJGA> Why not update the default value of gnus-ignored-newsgroups? [To nil]

EJGA> I got almost crazy trying to figure out why my GNUS didn't display IMAP
EJGA> folders like #mbox.archive, etc...

EJGA> AFAICS, there's no server nowadays which requires this. Has anyone got
EJGA> an example of a server where this setting is useful?

I think for NNTP it's relevant, but probably not for IMAP (although in
IMAP there are forbidden characters as well, according to the RFC)..

Ted

* Re: nnimap can not get Sent Mail in Gmail
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]           ` <mailman.12240.1259983894.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2009-12-26  7:53           ` galen_boyer
From: galen_boyer @ 2009-12-26  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 17:28:48 +0800 Plato Wu <gtalk000@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> PW> egallego@babel.ls.fi.upm.es (Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias) writes:

> PW> I have configured Gnus to access Gmail by IMAP, It can get INBOX and
> PW> other labels which are created by me. The important Sent Mail label
> PW> can not be showed.
>>>>>
> PW> I don't know why, please help me, thank you in advance.
>>>
>>> Could be a case of gnus-ignored-newsgroups?
>>>
>>> ,----[ C-h v gnus-ignored-newsgroups RET ]

>>> `----
> PW> Definitely! Thank you very much!
>
> PW> they all have a "[Gmail]" prefix which is matched with gnus-ignored-newsgroups.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail says it but it's easy to miss
> it.  Could you update with your setup and experience?

The setting from the wiki page for gnus-ignored-newsgroups exposed the
[Gmail] prefixed folders, such as sent mail.

The wiki page worked for all my needs of accessing my gmail server
account, well, I'll see about starttls in the gnutls.  Still downloading
the executable for windows.

--
Galen Boyer

* Re: nnimap can not get Sent Mail in Gmail
@ 2010-01-05 18:59             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-01-05 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 02:53:06 -0500 galen_boyer@yahoo.com wrote:

gb> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

PW> I have configured Gnus to access Gmail by IMAP, It can get INBOX and
PW> other labels which are created by me. The important Sent Mail label
PW> can not be showed.
>>>>>>
PW> I don't know why, please help me, thank you in advance.

PW> Definitely! Thank you very much!
>>
PW> they all have a "[Gmail]" prefix which is matched with gnus-ignored-newsgroups.
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail says it but it's easy to miss
>> it.  Could you update with your setup and experience?

gb> The setting from the wiki page for gnus-ignored-newsgroups exposed the
gb> [Gmail] prefixed folders, such as sent mail.

gb> The wiki page worked for all my needs of accessing my gmail server
gb> account, well, I'll see about starttls in the gnutls.  Still downloading
gb> the executable for windows.

Excellent.  I plan to eventually write an assistant for setting up GMail
which will incorporate this fix to gnus-ignored-newsgroups, so your
comments were helpful.

Ted