* archive group always shows up
@ 2006-09-16  3:52 Peter Wu
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Wu @ 2006-09-16  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I enabled archving in .gnus as suggested in the Gnus Manual:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((if (message-news-p)
            "misc-news"
          (concat "mail." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))

Now, the mail.2006-09, which is this month's email archive, always
displays when Gnus loads, even after I killed it.

What I want to do is to hide the mail archive groups until I want to see
them by doing ^ and select the archive group I want to see.

--
Peter Wu
Powered by GNU/Linux 2.6.17

* Re: archive group always shows up
@ 2006-09-17 11:48 ` Hadron Quark
       [not found] ` <mailman.7085.1158588927.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-09-17 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:

> I enabled archving in .gnus as suggested in the Gnus Manual:
>
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>       '((if (message-news-p)
>             "misc-news"
>           (concat "mail." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))
>

> Now, the mail.2006-09, which is this month's email archive, always
> displays when Gnus loads, even after I killed it.
>
> What I want to do is to hide the mail archive groups until I want to see
> them by doing ^ and select the archive group I want to see.

Did you play with L,l and u?

* Re: archive group always shows up
@ 2006-09-17 15:22   ` Peter Wu
From: Peter Wu @ 2006-09-17 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:48:30 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:

> Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> I enabled archving in .gnus as suggested in the Gnus Manual:
>>
>> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>>       '((if (message-news-p)
>>             "misc-news"
>>           (concat "mail." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))
>>

>> Now, the mail.2006-09, which is this month's email archive, always
>> displays when Gnus loads, even after I killed it.
>>
>> What I want to do is to hide the mail archive groups until I want to see
>> them by doing ^ and select the archive group I want to see.
>
> Did you play with L,l and u?

Yes, I played with all of them. If the archive is enabled, the group
always shows up.

--

@ 2006-09-18 10:03     ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-09-18 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:48:30 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I enabled archving in .gnus as suggested in the Gnus Manual:
>>>
>>> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>>>       '((if (message-news-p)
>>>             "misc-news"
>>>           (concat "mail." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))
>>>

>>> Now, the mail.2006-09, which is this month's email archive, always
>>> displays when Gnus loads, even after I killed it.
>>>
>>> What I want to do is to hide the mail archive groups until I want to see
>>> them by doing ^ and select the archive group I want to see.
>>
>> Did you play with L,l and u?
>
> Yes, I played with all of them. If the archive is enabled, the group
> always shows up.

Strange : even with

(setq gnus-permanently-visible-groups "[nnmaildir,gnu].*")

then nnmaildir or gnu groups disappear if I unsuscribe from them and hit
"l"

Maybe the fact that I use leafnode as the local nntp server makes a
difference? Someone?

* Re: archive group always shows up
@ 2006-09-18 14:03 ` CHENG Gao
       [not found] ` <mailman.7085.1158588927.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: CHENG Gao @ 2006-09-18 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

*On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 23:52:21 -0400
* Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

,----
|  The archive group will appear in the group buffer the next
| time you start Gnus, or the next time you press `F' in the group
| buffer.
`----

I have not tested it. Maybe (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t) can solve
your problem.

@ 2006-09-18 23:33   ` Peter Wu
From: Peter Wu @ 2006-09-18 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:03:33 +0800, CHENG Gao wrote:

> *On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 23:52:21 -0400
> * Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:
>
>> I enabled archving in .gnus as suggested in the Gnus Manual:
>>
>> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>>       '((if (message-news-p)
>>             "misc-news"
>>           (concat "mail." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))
>>

>> Now, the mail.2006-09, which is this month's email archive, always
>> displays when Gnus loads, even after I killed it.
>>
>> What I want to do is to hide the mail archive groups until I want to see
>> them by doing ^ and select the archive group I want to see.
>
>>From Gnus info, I got:
>
> ,----
> |  The archive group will appear in the group buffer the next
> | time you start Gnus, or the next time you press `F' in the group
> | buffer.
> `----
>
> I have not tested it. Maybe (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t) can solve
> your problem.

(setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t) is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

--

@ 2006-09-19  8:12     ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-09-19  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:03:33 +0800, CHENG Gao wrote:
>
>> *On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 23:52:21 -0400
>> * Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:
>>
>>> I enabled archving in .gnus as suggested in the Gnus Manual:
>>>
>>> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>>>       '((if (message-news-p)
>>>             "misc-news"
>>>           (concat "mail." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))
>>>

>>> Now, the mail.2006-09, which is this month's email archive, always
>>> displays when Gnus loads, even after I killed it.
>>>
>>> What I want to do is to hide the mail archive groups until I want to see
>>> them by doing ^ and select the archive group I want to see.
>>
>>>From Gnus info, I got:
>>
>> ,----
>> |  The archive group will appear in the group buffer the next
>> | time you start Gnus, or the next time you press `F' in the group
>> | buffer.
>> `----
>>
>> I have not tested it. Maybe (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t) can solve
>> your problem.
>
> (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t) is exactly what I'm looking
> for. Thanks.

I still dont understand why, if you unsuscribe to it, you are seeing it.

Anyone?

* Re: archive group always shows up
@ 2006-09-19 14:03       ` Peter Wu
From: Peter Wu @ 2006-09-19 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:12:17 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:

> Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:03:33 +0800, CHENG Gao wrote:
>>
>>> *On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 23:52:21 -0400
>>> * Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>
>>> I have not tested it. Maybe (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t) can solve
>>> your problem.
>>
>> (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t) is exactly what I'm looking
>> for. Thanks.
>
> I still dont understand why, if you unsuscribe to it, you are seeing
> it.

Even if I kill it, the next time I launch Gnus, I will still see it as
long as there are new messages in the archive.

(setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t) sets all the sent messages as read and,
unless I do L, I don't see the archive group.

--
Peter Wu