* Update or refresh nnimap buffer in summary mode
@ 2005-02-15 15:47 Rohan Nicholls
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rohan Nicholls @ 2005-02-15 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have just started using gnus, and am enjoying it, however I am still
working out some kinks, and so far have not figured out how to do a
couple of things that would make my life a lot easier, and any help with
this would be much appreciated.  I have done some searching but haven't
found anything yet.

* Can I refresh the summary buffer while in it?  At the moment I have to
  q out of the buffer, and in the groups buffer use "M-g" on it's line
  to get it to show any new mail.  I would be nice to be able to do this
  while reading other emails in the summary buffer.

* Can I automatically have gnus download new messages from the various
  imap accounts after a certain time period?

* I have these set, but still find my mail marked expire is hanging
  around. (setq nnmail-expiry-wait "immediate") I am guessing this is
  the wrong variable, but I can find nothing under the nnimap variables
  that might be equivalent.  I have this in the account settings:
  (nnimap-expunge-on-close "always")
  It used to be
  (nnimap-expunge-on-close always)
  but that was making no difference, so I thought I would give this a
  spin.

I have other questions, but have not yet managed to read the info files
for those sections yet.

Thanks in advance.

rohan

* Re: Update or refresh nnimap buffer in summary mode
@ 2005-02-15 16:03 ` Andreas Balser
From: Andreas Balser @ 2005-02-15 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> * Can I refresh the summary buffer while in it?  At the moment I have
>   q out of the buffer, and in the groups buffer use "M-g" on it's line

I think "M-g" works in the summary buffer in precisely the same way as
in the groups buffer.

> * Can I automatically have gnus download new messages from the various
>   imap accounts after a certain time period?

can't answer this one.

>   around. (setq nnmail-expiry-wait "immediate") I am guessing this is

I have

(setq gnus-parameters
      '(("maildir"
         (expiry-wait . immediate))))

in my .gnus.el, where "maildir" is a regular expression that happens
to match all my imap-folders.
(Alternatively, you could put all your mail-folders in a topic, and
set the expiry-wait option for the whole topic...)

Cheers,
Andreas

* Re: Update or refresh nnimap buffer in summary mode
@ 2005-02-15 17:06 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-02-15 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----
| / N runs the command gnus-summary-insert-new-articles
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum'.
| It is bound to / N, <menu-bar> <Gnus> <See new articles>.
| (gnus-summary-insert-new-articles)
|
| Insert all new articles in this group.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Update or refresh nnimap buffer in summary mode
@ 2005-02-15 21:37 ` Neil Woods
From: Neil Woods @ 2005-02-15 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ (info "(gnus)Daemons") ]
| Gnus, being larger than any program ever written (allegedly), does lots
| of strange stuff that you may wish to have done while you're not
| present.  For instance, you may want it to check for new mail once in a
| while.  Or you may want it to close down all connections to all servers
| when you leave Emacs idle.  And stuff like that.
|
|    Gnus will let you do stuff like that by defining various "handlers".
| Each handler consists of three elements:  A FUNCTION, a TIME, and an
| IDLE parameter.
`----

E.g., the following lines added to your ~/.gnus will download new
messages every 10 minutes:

(require 'gnus-demon)
(setq gnus-use-demon t)
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-group-get-new-news 10 t)
(gnus-demon-init)
(gnus-demon-add-rescan)

--
Neil Woods <cnw+usenet@pobox.com>
/* Do you ever get that feeling of deja vu? */

* Re: Update or refresh nnimap buffer in summary mode
@ 2005-02-16  0:48   ` Rohan Nicholls
From: Rohan Nicholls @ 2005-02-16  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Balser <balser@mathematik.uni-muenchen.de> writes:

>> * Can I refresh the summary buffer while in it?  At the moment I have
>>   q out of the buffer, and in the groups buffer use "M-g" on it's line
>
> I think "M-g" works in the summary buffer in precisely the same way as
> in the groups buffer.

Yes it does, however it pulls you out of the buffer rather than letting
you keep reading while it downloads any new messages

>>   around. (setq nnmail-expiry-wait "immediate") I am guessing this is
>
> I have
>
> (setq gnus-parameters
>       '(("maildir"
>          (expiry-wait . immediate))))

I will try this, thanks for the tip.

> in my .gnus.el, where "maildir" is a regular expression that happens
> to match all my imap-folders.
> (Alternatively, you could put all your mail-folders in a topic, and
> set the expiry-wait option for the whole topic...)

I am messing with split at the moment, and as I have mail coming from
two different imap accounts, using the "INBOX" example unfortunately
will not work, and I am trying to get all the mail to go into folders
that are already on the imap server.  I have figured out how to move
mail, so it will come with time.

In the meantime Gnus, never ceases to amaze me with its abilities.  And
using it with planner is completely amazing for getting myself and my
mail organized.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.  People at work don't really
appreciate what I have found. :-$

@ 2005-02-16  0:49   ` Rohan Nicholls
From: Rohan Nicholls @ 2005-02-16  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 15 2005, Rohan Nicholls wrote:
>
>> * Can I refresh the summary buffer while in it?  At the moment I have to
>>   q out of the buffer, and in the groups buffer use "M-g" on it's line
>>   to get it to show any new mail.  I would be nice to be able to do this
>>   while reading other emails in the summary buffer.
>
> ,----
> | / N runs the command gnus-summary-insert-new-articles
> |    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum'.
> | It is bound to / N, <menu-bar> <Gnus> <See new articles>.
> | (gnus-summary-insert-new-articles)
> |
> | Insert all new articles in this group.
> `----

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

@ 2005-02-22 17:24   ` Rohan Nicholls
From: Rohan Nicholls @ 2005-02-22 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Neil Woods <cnw+usenet@pobox.com> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 15 2005, Rohan Nicholls wrote:
>
>> * Can I automatically have gnus download new messages from the various
>> imap accounts after a certain time period?
>

> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Daemons") ]
> | Gnus, being larger than any program ever written (allegedly), does lots
> | of strange stuff that you may wish to have done while you're not
> | present.  For instance, you may want it to check for new mail once in a
> | while.  Or you may want it to close down all connections to all servers
> | when you leave Emacs idle.  And stuff like that.
> |
> |    Gnus will let you do stuff like that by defining various "handlers".
> | Each handler consists of three elements:  A FUNCTION, a TIME, and an
> | IDLE parameter.
> `----
>
> E.g., the following lines added to your ~/.gnus will download new
> messages every 10 minutes:
>
> (require 'gnus-demon)
> (setq gnus-use-demon t)
> (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-group-get-new-news 10 t)
> (gnus-demon-init)
> (gnus-demon-add-rescan)

Thanks so much for this, it works beautifully, so beautifully I keep
forgetting it is there.

rohan